• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calling out the FAL experts

Bighouse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2007
Utah
So I am helping a friend trade this FAL .308. I dont know anything about these rifles. I have been asked if this model will work with a regular stock and grip. The receiver is Imbel.
Can this stock be traded for the more common setup?
Brett2.jpg

Thanks for any help here.

Re: Calling out the FAL experts

ASSEMBLY OF NON-SPORTING SHOTGUNS AND SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLES FROM IMPORTED PARTS

Disclaimer: This is an attempt to interpret this law. Information taken from this context should not be considered permission to manufacture semiautomatic rifles.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of Sec. 178.151; or

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floor plates

[T.D. ATF-346, 58 FR 40589, July 29, 1993]

EFFECT ON STATE LAW
Expiration of the Federal law will not change any provisions of State law or local ordinances. Questions concerning State assault weapons restrictions should be referred to State and local authorities.

U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives

http://www.tapco.com/section922r.aspx

Since it doesn't have a muzzle brake on it, you only need 6 "US made" parts.

Most common US parts are the Butt stock, pistol grip, fore end stock, Hammer, trigger, and sear.

Here's mine with 7 parts: H,T,S, receiver, gas piston, charge handle, pistol grip.

I call it the "ugly mutt"
fal12001.jpg

I'd grab it.

It's likely an IMBEL receiver on 'inch' or English parts.

You'll need a lower or a grip stud and set it up with stock and pistol grip.

That rifle has already been manufactured (excise tax paid), and there was some stuff that went on with the butthole stocked models getting a waiver of some sort if I remember.

Read up on it, but I'd go ahead and build.

The grip stud is probably still there but just bent back. You'll probably want to replace it anyway; possibly find a replacement lower receiver with stud. You may have a hard time finding a US-made pistol grip for it. Other parts should be easy to find. Verify the inside front portion of the receiver magwell to see which mags it's cut for (the inch mags have a longer or larger "lip" and may stay in place a little better than the metric mags in inch-cut receivers. Metric mags fit inch receivers but not the other way around). The fact it's IMBEL is great, but being Century Arms it means it could have been "cut" a number of different ways. Other possible "inch" cuts include a shorter front portion of the charger handle rail (for the folding charging handle), and cut out at the rear of the bolt rail for a topcover with rear "tabs". The barrel was cut behind the threads, so if returning to original length, an extension will need to me made. Instead of an extension with the slot for the key that holds the flash hider indexed in place, I suggest simply having it rethreaded and screwing in a US-made flash hider and securing it with a washer. Metric guns are more practical but the inch guns have a distinctive look about them, and I like the ergonomics of the inch guns better. Btw, your front sight base is inch, which is different than the metric pieces, and it should match the folding rear sight just fine.