• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calling Savage Owners 10FP

Blk04SR

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2009
SoCal
I have a Savage 10FP 24" .308 with the 4-3/8" center holes centerfeed 4 shot magazine.

Currently on the rifle

Bushnell 3200 Mil-Dot 10x40mm
TPS Med rings
Farrell 0 MOA mase
SSS Tactical Bolt Handle

I just ordered (pulled the trigger) on a B&C 2997 A2 style stock to fit the newer savage actions.

Im trying to do this on a budget, is there anything else im missing so I can go some more distance 500 yrds is where I want to reach out touch.

Re: Calling Savage Owners 10FP

Tapered base. 0 MOA base and Bushnell are a no go for distance.

I was thinking of going with a 20 MOA base and a busnell 6500 tactical...

any other suggestions?

I have a problem my base is on there pretty good globs upon globs of red loctite...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tapered base. 0 MOA base and Bushnell are a no go for distance. </div></div>

Return your Farrell 0MOA and trade it in for a 20MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk04SR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Savage 10FP 24" .308 with the 4-3/8" center holes centerfeed 4 shot magazine.

Currently on the rifle

Bushnell 3200 Mil-Dot 10x40mm
TPS Med rings
Farrell 0 MOA mase
SSS Tactical Bolt Handle

I just ordered (pulled the trigger) on a B&C 2997 A2 style stock to fit the newer savage actions.

Im trying to do this on a budget, is there anything else im missing so I can go some more distance 500 yrds is where I want to reach out touch.</div></div>

You'll be glad you got the B&C what a huge difference it makes in confidence when holding the rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems to be a lot of newbies here tonight.

Red was not meant to be a gap filler.

If it doesn't fit, you must aquit!

</div></div>

Yes we all have to start somewhere right. Im trying to learn.

started out with a 10/22 modded and I want to go bolt action...

It wasnt used as a gap filler, just used a good amount on the screws for the base...

Oh yeah I do have a harris BR forgot about that...it is on my 10/22 i use it for both!

The Bushnell 10x40 will get you to 1K with a 0MOA base.
It has over 80MOA of adjustment.
Of course, a 20MOA base would make it easier to use well with a scope change to one with less adjustment.

A swiveling Harris 6-9" bipod with leg notches is a big improvement over the fixed model. A KMW Pod-loc is a nice addition as well. Worth getting!

A Redman rear bag is essential as far as I am concerned.

A base mounted or ring mounted level is a nice tool as well.
USO, B-square, and many others come to mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: applevalleyjoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tapered base. 0 MOA base and Bushnell are a no go for distance. </div></div>

Return your Farrell 0MOA and trade it in for a 20MOA. </div></div>

At least 20... I had a Bushnell 4500 and it wouldn't reach 1k on a Farrell 15 MOA base.

If you're dead set on keeping that Bushnell, I'd try to find a 30.

Don't mind the "newbie" stuff. Gotta start somewhere. Hell, I'm still a newbie...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bushnell 10x40 will get you to 1K with a 0MOA base.
It has over 80MOA of adjustment.
Of course, a 20MOA base would make it easier to use well with a scope change to one with less adjustment.
</div></div>

You sure Raf? I had the varible, and he has a fixed, so I might be mistaken on what I'm telling him if they have different internals. I figured they would be the samne, but mine only had about 50 moa of travel if I recall correctly...

Yes, sir.
The 10x40 has an advertised 100MOA of travel, but most users including myself find they have right around 82-85MOA of useable travel.

It's pretty amazing for such an inexpensive scope.
I did notice that the variables have much less travel.

How you been, man! I see you posting alot but have not had a chance to check in with you.

As for the red loctite, goto home depot, buy a propane torch, heat up the screws with the torch to melt the red loctite.

DO NOT try to take out those screws without heat, they will break! red loctite is some strong stuff, but melts with heat.

just noticed you are in SoKal, where in SoKal are you? maybe I can help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, sir.
The 10x40 has an advertised 100MOA of travel, but most users including myself find they have right around 82-85MOA of useable travel.

It's pretty amazing for such an inexpensive scope.
I did notice that the variables have much less travel.

How you been, man! I see you posting alot but have not had a chance to check in with you. </div></div>

I need to shut my mis-information mouth then... LOL

I've been good, going through some financial stresses at the moment, but the storm will pass eventually...

It's an easy assumption to make when you don't have direct experience with the 3200 10x40.

I hope your troubles turn around soon!

We have a fair amount of debt racked up at the moment, but are dealing with it fairly well. Melita and I worked out a plan of attack and it is coming along nicely. We chose the hardest solution......just paying the damn accounts off starting with the highest interest rates. I hope your solution is as easy a choice.

Ahh I never thought about that. I have a MAP gas torch haha that will def get the job done its the $hiT.

I live in the Los Angeles area.

Im not really looking the reach 1k yrds around 500 yrds maybe 600. Im learning everything, this whole long distance thing is new but it will come with time.

you got the scope, base, rings, and stock....so bed it................the next step is the most important..................are you listening?.......................................SHOOT IT, AND LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk04SR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahh I never thought about that. I have a MAP gas torch haha that will def get the job done its the $hiT.

</div></div>

Use a soldering iron. Put the tip right on the head of the screw. That way you lessen the chance of fucking something up
smile.gif

hey good luck! sounds like you are set. I have a savage 10fcp with the McMillian stock and a ha ha centerpoint scope. With a bit of range 500yd hits holding groups under 1moa are getting easy and 700yd hits aren't too bad either. Good luck and sounds like you got a decent starting setup goin on. Cant wait to here how it shoots for you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you got the scope, base, rings, and stock....so bed it................the next step is the most important..................are you listening?.......................................SHOOT IT, AND LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

bench </div></div>

Yeah Im going to shoot the hell out of it, gonna make some steel plates and go out to the desert and shoot it. My stock comes next week and find some more ammo and ill be set!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk04SR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahh I never thought about that. I have a MAP gas torch haha that will def get the job done its the $hiT.

</div></div>

Use a soldering iron. Put the tip right on the head of the screw. That way you lessen the chance of fucking something up
smile.gif
</div></div>

Hmm that will work I have a soldering iron too if I change the base to a 20 MOA. Ill shoot this rig first and go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey good luck! sounds like you are set. I have a savage 10fcp with the McMillian stock and a ha ha centerpoint scope. With a bit of range 500yd hits holding groups under 1moa are getting easy and 700yd hits aren't too bad either. Good luck and sounds like you got a decent starting setup goin on. Cant wait to here how it shoots for you! </div></div>

Thanks, Im stoked about the stock I have been waiting for one to come out for a few years from B&C. The stock comes next week and I gotta find some more ammo, make some steel plate targets and ill be ready for a desert trip!

the wife and myself have an fcp,20 moa warne base,t36 weaver.it will bust eggs at 550 yrds,also shot a 1.543 5 shot group at that range.

my old set up consisted of a warne 20 moa base, warne med tactical rings, with a millet trs 1. and i had more than enough elevation travel to get to 1000.