• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calling the carnivores among us

Numedal

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2019
Norway
I've been chatting with my uncle over Christmas, who has been on a carnivore diet since February, with good results (lost a decent chunk of weight, lot less issues with inflammation etc.)

I have played with the idea of giving it a try myself, and so have looked a bit round the web, with mixed results. Lot of "no this is terrible because muh-veggies" but also a fair amount of actual useful info.

So, who here has given it a try, and what were/are your experiences?

This spring I decided I would not become a fat fuck in my 50’s. Cut out almost all sugar and 90% of carbs. As much protein and fat as I want. I like vegetables so they are in there too. I drink a lot of water. Works great. Leaner and much smoother energy decline over time. Water and few jerky sticks and good to go for several more hours.

Couple people close to me did that. It seems to be very helpful. I don’t know if it’s that strictly meat is that healthy, but I suspect it is more from the elimination of all the TRASH that we eat.

At about one month in, maybe less, they got pretty low, like flu sick, maybe symptoms of keytosis? It passed though.

They added in veggies and such after a couple months. Definitely would recommend if someone needs something to jolt them from the routine.

I've done it several times with excellent results. I had bad cravings for the first 4 days +/-, but then they were gone. After a while, I wasn't even hungry, like ever. Even went to one big pile of meat a day. I've never been stronger, had more energy, been more alert and focused etc. I was training in jiu jitsu 5 days a week or more at the time, and my cardio recoveries were amazing. I could roll as hard as possible for 5 minutes, and after maybe a minute my heart and respiratory rate would be back to normal and my training partners would be sprawled out on their backs gasping for air. It was spectacular. I worried about lacking the glycogen supply for longer periods of aerobic work, but it wasn't an issue at all, (I wasn't running marathons, but a 90 minute workout wasn't an issue). You almost stop shitting entirely. It's alarming in the beginning, but then you realize that there's no waste. Your body is processing almost everything. Body fat comes off real fast at first, and then slows considerably. After a while I almost had to force myself to eat, because I was never hungry. There are issues: variety is difficult, and eating in resturaunts can be a pain in the ass if you don't like being a Karen. If you need to eat something quick, like at a fast food joint or a convenience store, it can be a problem. I didn't enjoy freeze dried beef jerkey for dinner for example. The other thing is drinks. You drink water, black coffee, maybe some unsweetened tea. There just isn't much variety. Eating begins to be a chore after 45 days or so. It's difficult to maintain long term, takes a lot of discipline. Cycling on and off doesn't really work since you'll ruin 45 days of progress in a few weeks once you start eating the carbs and bs again. I think the paleo diet is a little more manageable long term. It's not as effective, but you won't start hating steak either.

The other thing was my joints. Seems that maybe all of the joint pain I had was made worse by inflammation. Carbs cause inflammation. My joints felt amazing on carnivore, like 0 pain. I've recommended it to people to try just to help with bad knees and the like.

Meats are high in protein and high in amino acids. Both which are good for muscles. I'm sure you'll feel better on said diet. Of course, so long as the meat comes from a good source. A lot of the store bought stuff is probably full of chemicals that's injected into the meat.

If you can hunt your own deer and get a cow/lamb from a local farmer and catch your own fish, you'll be way ahead.

It’s awesome and you’ll love it.

A few things though. You may have a little trouble sleeping and some weird electrolyte problems that result in some cramps. If you do run into this and it bothers you too much, add some fruit and/or honey back into your diet

This site is an awesome resource

I tried Keto and lost 18 lbs so yeah that worked but . Man the energy dropped out the friggin bottom . I mean like a month and still no energy .
Funny most of my competing 40 - 46 yrs old my diet looked like Atkins . Lots of protein , some veggies and no potatoes or bread . But fuck if Keto didn't kick my ass .
Edit: Competing in BJJ and MMA form 40-46 . Ate like shit from 17 to 40 .

I tried Keto and lost 18 lbs so yeah that worked but . Man the energy dropped out the friggin bottom . I mean like a month and still no energy .
Funny most of my competing 40 - 46 yrs old my diet looked like Atkins . Lots of protein , some veggies and no potatoes or bread . But fuck if Keto didn't kick my ass .
Edit: Competing in BJJ and MMA form 40-46 . Ate like shit from 17 to 40 .
Add a little fruit and/or honey to match your energy requirements.

For fast food on a carnivore diet you can swing through McDonald’s and get two plain 1/4 pound patties.

Debatable if they are actually meat or not, but fast and pretty good nonetheless. 🤪

There is always a slight delay, I think because they have to cook them fresh (fresh???) as they are not gonna take a sandwich apart to get the patty.

Jan 1, the wife and I are going on the Carnivore. I have no weight to lose though. Actually trying to gain weight, but that will be part of the challange. Using it as a total elimination diet due to inflammation/RA. Wife is just doing it for support. Have freezers full of Deer, Elk, and beef. I'll report back on results.

Been on Carnivore since 3/1/23. Cut out everything not on the traditional Carnivore diet including all alcohol. The first couple weeks were tough with cravings and false hunger as you start to kick the sugar/carb addiction. Once your past that it's pretty easy and you'll crave the food that you can eat then it's just part of the habit.
Things I noticed immediately were, I sleep much better, after 4-5 weeks I quit an acid reflux med I had been on for several years with no issues, more stable mood/attitude, I eat much less volume of food, then less restroom trips, and the loss of nearly 50lbs of fat. By far the biggest change was the lifting of brain fog and gaining mental clarity. It's hard to explain but everything is more sharp and my thought process is better and noticeable in everyday life. The sugars and Ultra Processed Foods are poison. Once your off that crap it's pretty amazing.

This was Christmas Dinner
16A8B931-5545-45F4-B590-DE233B6348E3.jpeg
A28F1C3E-D279-4EF4-BCF2-632BB7A9FBE8.jpeg

For anyone that needs a fast food option, McD’s sells the 1/4lb patties(those are real beef) Wendy’s is another option for patties, & some Arby’s will sell their beef in different sized portions. Arby’s is hit or miss though, we’ve had some that will do it with no problems and some that either won’t or they can figure out how to ring it up on the screen

I started my first low carb "diet" late spring of this year. I had intentions of going full-on carnivore, but that's more restrictive than what I've done. I also eat cheese, bacon, some varieties of nuts, and low carb vegetables every now and then. My wife started doing this as well. I've lost 40 pounds. I haven't asked her what she's lost so far, but she's down a few clothing sizes and looks great.

I only went this route because low fat seems to no longer work for me like it did when I was younger. I used to be able to lose 5 pounds/week with low fat and exercise. Not anymore. Perhaps I have "insulin resistance" in my older age, not sure.

Other motivations for me were my blood pressure creeping up, and also being borderline "pre-diabetic" (according to the official stats, if you buy into the narrative on those things). Now my BP is down, A1C is down, and of course my fasting blood glucose is down. I'm no longer "pre-diabetic" even by health industry standards. Not sure about cholesterol, as my doc didn't request that on my last blood work. I suspect both LDL and HDL will be up, but whether that's really a concern or not is a whole other discussion.

If you do a lot of research online, you'll see many different reports of what people go through in the transition period. Things like lightheadedness, diarrhea, constapation, etc.

I had one day of diarrhea. That's it. Some people report a week of it. I didn't experience that. I had no constatpation at all. I think people mistake no longer going one or more times every day, to only going once every couple, or every few days, as being "constapation". That's not constapation.

I did have a period of a sort of "fogginess". Not sure I'd call it lightheadedness. Hard to describe. I could think clearly. I just felt...different. That was fairly short-lived and is gone now.

In terms of cravings, I really don't have any. My wife does have some, but she tends to fixate on things she can't have, while I do not. I just sat through two family Christmas dinners with the table loaded with carbs...filling, stuffing, potatoes, corn, bread, deserts, etc. Didn't crave any of them. I had no problem not eating those things. The only thing I really get a craving for (and it's only if I see it and smell it) is pizza. That and beer. When I see all those craft brew taps in the restaurant, I do have to divert my attention! Yuengling Flight at least allows me to have a beer every now and then, but let's face it...it kinda sucks if you're a beer lover. (Note...Straub Brite is a much better low carb option, but you'll almost certainly need to order it) But remember alcohol is converted to glucose, so go easy even on alcohol even with low carb options. An occasional drink is another reason I didn't go hard-core carniore.

As far as energy, I haven't had the great energy boom that others here and online have reported. My results aren't bad, though. I'd say I have a somewhat even energy. I don't get nearly as tired after eating like I used to with insulin spikes following a high carb meal. In my younger days when I ate a traditional "healthy", low fat diet, my energy would skyrocket. Compared to that, this doesn't seem to be nearly as good (for me, anyway). But again, that style diet no longer has the same effect for me that it once did, so a direct comparison may be apples to oranges now. My energy on this diet is a net positive from where I was immediately prior, but I can't say I had the huge increase others have experienced. I relate any increase in my energy more to no longer carrying around 40 extra pounds than I do as a direct result of the food I'm eating. That's just my opinion.

To sum it up, the upsides are 1.) It absolutely works 2.) You don't need to go hungry. I eat to satisfaction, and only eat twice a day now, which has a side benefit of intermittent fasting. I really could drop to one meal a day, and have done so on occasion, but that doesn't fit very easily into my wife's lifestyle and we still eat a dinner together. If you can eat one big meal at lunch time, or in the afternoon, it's easily doable as far as hunger is concerned. High fat food is very satiating, and you could definitely do just one meal. Believe me on this. I used to eat 5 times/day. If I can do it, anyone can.

The downsides have already been mentioned. It's very restrictive, and difficult to eat out, and even more difficult to eat out in a hurry. Not impossible, but difficult. You'll have few options on most restaurant menus, and you'll have to overlook probably 90% of the items on grocery store shelves. If you're the type that needs a lot of variety, it may not work for you very long. Then again, the results give you motivation, and most people don't really crave those other foods anymore.

I don't know if I can maintain a ketosis-level low carb diet for years to come, or not. For now I'm having no problems maintaining the lifestyle. Looking better, feeling better overall, and better blood work are powerful motivators. People have made eating an almost celebratory type of thing. If you look at eating more as a function of survival, and not for pleasure, perhaps it makes the restrctive nature of this lifestyle a little easier.

Last edited:
I started my first low carb "diet" late spring of this year. I had full intentions of going full-on carnivore, but that's more restrictive than what I've done. I also eat cheese, bacon, some varieties of nuts, and low carb vegetables every now and then. My wife started doing this as well. I've lost 40 pounds. Didn't ask her what she's lost, but she's down a few clothing sizes and looks great.

I only went this route because low fat seems to no longer work for me like it did when I was younger. I used to be able to lose 5 pounds/week with low fat and exercise. Not anymore. Perhaps I have "insulin resistance" in my older age, not sure.

Other motivations for me were my blood pressure creeping up, and also being borderline "pre-diabetic" (according to the official stats, if you buy into the narrative on those things). Now my BP is down, AIC is down, and of course fasting glucose is down. I'm no longer "pre-diabetic" even by health industry standards. Not sure about cholesterol, as for some reason my doc didn't request that on my last blood work. I suspect both LDL and HDL will be up, but whether that's really a concern or not is a whole other discussion.

If you do a lot of research online, you'll see many different reports of what people go through in the transition period. Things like lightheadedness, diarrhea, constapation, etc.

I had one day of diarrhea. That's it. Some people report a week of it. I didn't experience that. I had no constatpation at all. I think people mistake no longer going one or more times every day, to only going once every couple, or perhaps every few days, as being "constapation". That's not constapation.

I did have a period of a sort of "fogginess". Not sure I'd call it lightheadedness. Hard to describe. I could think clearly. I just felt...different. That was fairly short-lived and is gone now.

In terms of cravings, I really don't have any. My wife does have some, but she tends to fixate on things she can't have, while I do not. I just through two family Christmas dinners with the table loaded with carbs...filling, stuffing, potatoes, corn, bread, deserts, etc. Didn't crave any of them, really. I had no problem not eating it. The only thing I really get a craving for (and it's only if I see it and smell it) is pizza. That and beer. When I see all those craft brew taps in the restaurant, I do have to divert my attention! Yuengling Flight at least allows me to have a beer every now and then, but let's face it...it kinda sucks if you're a beer lover. (Note...Straub Brite is a much better low carb option, but you'll almost certainly need to order it) But remember alcohol is converted to glucose, so go easy even on alcohol even with low carb options.

As far as energy, I haven't had the great energy boom that others here and online have reported. My results aren't bad, though. I'd say I have a somewhat even energy. I don't get nearly as tired after eating like I used to with insulin spikes following a high carb meal. In the past when I ate a traditional "healthy", low fat diet, my energy would skyrocket. Compared to that, this doesn't seem to be nearly as good (for me, anyway). But again, that style diet no longer has the same effect for me that it once did, so a direct comparison may be apples to oranges now.

To sum it up, the upsides are 1.) It absolutely works 2.) You don't need to go hungry. I eat to satisfaction, and only eat twice a day now, which has a side benefit of intermittent fasting. I really could drop to one meal a day, and have done so on occasion, but that doesn't fit very easily into my wife's lifestyle and we still eat a dinner together. If you can eat one big meal at normal lunch time, or in the afternoon, it's easily doable as far as hunger is concerned. High fat food is very satiating.

The downsides have already been mentioned. It's very restrictive, and difficult to eat out, and even more difficult to eat out in a hurry. Not impossible, but difficult. You'll have few options on most restaurant menus, and you'll have to overlooks probably 90% of the items on the grocery store shelves. If you're the type that needs a lot of variety, it may not work for you very long. Then again, the results give you motivation, and most people don't really crave those other foods anymore.

I don't know if I can maintain a ketosis-level low carb diet for years to come, or not. For now I'm having no problems maintaining the lifestyle. Looking better, feeling better overall, and better blood work are powerful motivators. People have made eating an almost celebratory type of thing. If you look at eating more as a function of survival, and not for pleasure, perhaps it makes the restrive nature of this lifestyle a little easier.
Not reading all that but I’m happy it worked out for you or sorry it happened to you

I eat like a deer a week. Wolves have nothing on me. 300+ bow kills, work in concrete and bench well over 300 lbs

Become a carnivore

I started my first low carb "diet" late spring of this year. I had intentions of going full-on carnivore, but that's more restrictive than what I've done. I also eat cheese, bacon, some varieties of nuts, and low carb vegetables every now and then. My wife started doing this as well. I've lost 40 pounds. I haven't asked her what she's lost so far, but she's down a few clothing sizes and looks great.

Other motivations for me were my blood pressure creeping up, and also being borderline "pre-diabetic" (according to the official stats, if you buy into the narrative on those things). Now my BP is down, A1C is down, and of course my fasting blood glucose is down. I'm no longer "pre-diabetic" even by health industry standards. Not sure about cholesterol, as my doc didn't request that on my last blood work. I suspect both LDL and HDL will be up, but whether that's really a concern or not is a whole other discussion.

I had one day of diarrhea. That's it. Some people report a week of it. I didn't experience that. I had no constatpation at all. I think people mistake no longer going one or more times every day, to only going once every couple, or every few days, as being "constapation". That's not constapation.

In terms of cravings, I really don't have any. My wife does have some, but she tends to fixate on things she can't have, while I do not. I just sat through two family Christmas dinners with the table loaded with carbs...filling, stuffing, potatoes, corn, bread, deserts, etc. Didn't crave any of them. I had no problem not eating those things. The only thing I really get a craving for (and it's only if I see it and smell it) is pizza. That and beer. When I see all those craft brew taps in the restaurant, I do have to divert my attention! Yuengling Flight at least allows me to have a beer every now and then, but let's face it...it kinda sucks if you're a beer lover. (Note...Straub Brite is a much better low carb option, but you'll almost certainly need to order it) But remember alcohol is converted to glucose, so go easy even on alcohol even with low carb options. An occasional drink is another reason I didn't go hard-core carniore.

As far as energy, I haven't had the great energy boom that others here and online have reported. My results aren't bad, though. I'd say I have a somewhat even energy. I don't get nearly as tired after eating like I used to with insulin spikes following a high carb meal. In my younger days when I ate a traditional "healthy", low fat diet, my energy would skyrocket. Compared to that, this doesn't seem to be nearly as good (for me, anyway). But again, that style diet no longer has the same effect for me that it once did, so a direct comparison may be apples to oranges now. My energy on this diet is a net positive from where I was immediately prior, but I can't say I had the huge increase others have experienced. I relate any increase in my energy more to no longer carrying around 40 extra pounds than I do as a direct result of the food I'm eating. That's just my opinion.

To sum it up, the upsides are 1.) It absolutely works 2.) You don't need to go hungry. I eat to satisfaction, and only eat twice a day now, which has a side benefit of intermittent fasting. I really could drop to one meal a day, and have done so on occasion, but that doesn't fit very easily into my wife's lifestyle and we still eat a dinner together. If you can eat one big meal at lunch time, or in the afternoon, it's easily doable as far as hunger is concerned. High fat food is very satiating, and you could definitely do just one meal. Believe me on this. I used to eat 5 times/day. If I can do it, anyone can.

The downsides have already been mentioned. It's very restrictive, and difficult to eat out, and even more difficult to eat out in a hurry. Not impossible, but difficult. You'll have few options on most restaurant menus, and you'll have to overlook probably 90% of the items on grocery store shelves. If you're the type that needs a lot of variety, it may not work for you very long. Then again, the results give you motivation, and most people don't really crave those other foods anymore.

I don't know if I can maintain a ketosis-level low carb diet for years to come, or not. For now I'm having no problems maintaining the lifestyle. Looking better, feeling better overall, and better blood work are powerful motivators. People have made eating an almost celebratory type of thing. If you look at eating more as a function of survival, and not for pleasure, perhaps it makes the restrctive nature of this lifestyle a little easier.
Start taking vitamin B3 aka niacin daily. Ideally, get the non-flushing variety, preferably, unless you like hot itching and red he-man skin flushing that hits about 15min after taking and lasts up to an hour afterwards. Start out at 500mg daily for two weeks and then 1000mg daily thereon. In 10 months your total cholesterol will drop, LDL will bottom out, HDL will rise, and triglyceride profile will significantly improve. No need to take with a meal, but you can if you want. Refer to your bloodwork baseline before you start and then compare after 10 months and watch the magic.

Reactions: GLG20
Been on Carnivore since 3/1/23. Cut out everything not on the traditional Carnivore diet including all alcohol. The first couple weeks were tough with cravings and false hunger as you start to kick the sugar/carb addiction. Once your past that it's pretty easy and you'll crave the food that you can eat then it's just part of the habit.
Things I noticed immediately were, I sleep much better, after 4-5 weeks I quit an acid reflux med I had been on for several years with no issues, more stable mood/attitude, I eat much less volume of food, then less restroom trips, and the loss of nearly 50lbs of fat. By far the biggest change was the lifting of brain fog and gaining mental clarity. It's hard to explain but everything is more sharp and my thought process is better and noticeable in everyday life. The sugars and Ultra Processed Foods are poison. Once your off that crap it's pretty amazing.

This was Christmas DinnerView attachment 8305650View attachment 8305651
I'm jealous of that Emerson. Very cool.

Reactions: PostOak
Full on carnivore isn't good long term.

You do need vitamins and minerals that aren't in meat.

Vegetables, raw or steamed. Fruits and sugars aren't necessary, but some can be beneficial.

At the end of the day it's the sugar snacks and carbs that cause most of the issues. That's what you need to eliminate.

Full on carnivore isn't good long term.

You do need vitamins and minerals that aren't in meat.

Vegetables, raw or steamed. Fruits and sugars aren't necessary, but some can be beneficial.

At the end of the day it's the sugar snacks and carbs that cause most of the issues. That's what you need to eliminate.

This Liver King would not agree with you, but then again, he was outed as a fake....

LiverKing.png

Quit the sugar, everything else will be better. Cancer loves sugar. Obesity loves sugar. Your dentist. loves sugar.

FIFY
The sugar in that glass of fresh sqezz orange juice is just as bad for you as any other sugar.
Including bananas, watermelon, sweet corn, and yes, honey and molasses.
A very small amount isnt gonna hurt.
In 1890 the per capita consumption of sugar was less than 10lbs. Today that number is over 200lbs. A 2000% increase. Guess what the increase in heart disease, diabetes and cancer has been since 1890?

FIFY
The sugar in that glass of fresh sqezz orange juice is just as bad for you as any other sugar.
In 1890 the per capita consumption of sugar was less than 10lbs. Today that number is over 200lbs. A 2000% increase. Guess what the increase in heart disease, diabetes and cancer has been since 1890?

Soda consumption, I’ll bet.

P

FIFY
I keep the WS to a minimum, its near impossible to eliminate it 100%.

Beyond that I find balance and moderation to be good guidelines.

The bottom line:

Genesis 1:29

King James Version

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

I use a fake sweetener called Truvia. I like the taste. However, it says "plant-based." Well, that's advertising crap. Because the sugar cane is also a plant. Elvis Presley would not show us a fake sugar cane plantation.

The diet soda I drink is not all day every day but I think the preservatives in it keep me looking young. Well, that and I still read at a 6th grade level.

If you want to really kick up your diet effectiveness, take the following an hour or 2 before eating in the morning. All in powder form. No pills

Pine pollen
Horny goat weed
Cistanche
Tongkat Ali
Bacopa
Schisandra
Siberian ginseng
Lions mane
Mucuna bean
Polyrachis ant
Gingko
Rhodiola rosea
Green food powder
Turmeric with bio perine

Also add in

Shilajit
Omega 3 with high DHA and EHA

You will be absolutely unstoppable, mentally sharper than when you were 18, and going on keto or carnivore you won't experience any of the "keto flu". It will be effortless.

Had an apprentice do the carnivore thing. He wound up in the ER with a near impacted bowel. He wound up drinking a fiber supplement... Metamucil or some such to help keep things moving

You'll want some fiber, even if you stay really hydrated.

The thing with fruits is that they're OK in moderation... The fiber in the fruit slows down digestion/absorption of the sugar into the blood stream so it doesn't skyrocket like simple sugar does. The old adage of "an apple a day..." has some truth to it.

Fruit juice on the other hand... All sugar and pretty much no fiber. You might as well chug a Mt Dew for all the good that juice does you.

Mike

Had an apprentice do the carnivore thing. He wound up in the ER with a near impacted bowel. He wound up drinking a fiber supplement... Metamucil or some such to help keep things moving

The thing with fruits is that they're OK in moderation... The fiber in the fruit slows down digestion/absorption of the sugar into the blood stream so it doesn't skyrocket like simple sugar does. The old adage of "an apple a day..." has some truth to it.

Fruit juice on the other hand... All sugar and pretty much no fiber. You might as well chug a Mt Dew for all the good that juice does you.

Mike
Iced green tea with a tad of honey and lemon. Summer and winter. Hot in the winter sometimes, with a shot of bourbon.

Fruits are good in general, you just need to eat them alone mostly.

Mike
When doing carnivore you absolutely need to increase your fat intake. I’d guess your apprentice was still eating too lean. He may also have some undiagnosed problems that are complicating things

The wife and I just re-started carnivore a few weeks ago. I’ve eaten maybe 200g carbs total since then and haven’t had any problems

And fiber is not a necessary addition to any diet. There are some positive benefits, binding with heavy metals & helping detox, but those benefits are not exclusive to fiber

For me, keto flu lasted 48 hours. You keep asking yourself why you are doing this because it feels really wrong. But it passes and you feel fine after that. Just do it over a weekend when you can just sit around being miserable.

Diarrhea after eating is really common first 1-4 weeks.

You will probably need some electrolytes the first week or two. Salt, magnesium, some potassium. Multivitamins to cover all the things you won't be ingesting anymore.

Some people get weird aches and pains for a week or two. Some of the carnivore "experts" say it is oxalate leaving the body? I don't know about that...

I think it is easier to start strict, then loosen up as tolerated, depending on whatever parameter you are interested: are you still losing weight, having energy, mental clarity, blood sugar control, etc.

For me, the pounds are just melting off without doing anything anything, but I am a fat bastard...

I am a type 2 diabetic and in the last few weeks I have gone from using 260 Units of insulin per day to 15 every day or two.

I was pretty skeptical, but my wife started doing it and she was losing weight, and more importantly, her treatment resistant depression has significantly improved.

Good luck.

For me, keto flu lasted 48 hours. You keep asking yourself why you are doing this because it feels really wrong. But it passes and you feel fine after that. Just do it over a weekend when you can just sit around being miserable.

Diarrhea after eating is really common first 1-4 weeks.

You will probably need some electrolytes the first week or two. Salt, magnesium, some potassium. Multivitamins to cover all the things you won't be ingesting anymore.

Some people get weird aches and pains for a week or two. Some of the carnivore "experts" say it is oxalate leaving the body? I don't know about that...

I think it is easier to start strict, then loosen up as tolerated, depending on whatever parameter you are interested: are you still losing weight, having energy, mental clarity, blood sugar control, etc.

For me, the pounds are just melting off without doing anything anything, but I am a fat bastard...

I am a type 2 diabetic and in the last few weeks I have gone from using 260 Units of insulin per day to 15 every day or two.

I was pretty skeptical, but my wife started doing it and she was losing weight, and more importantly, her treatment resistant depression has significantly improved.

Good luck.
The "Flu" you are describing is from an imbalance of electrolytes. You have to supplement with salt.

Robb Wolf wrote a ton on this.

Type 2 Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrates so removing them for the equation helps fix the situation. Lose about 30 pounds and the insulin use goes down to nill. Gain about 10 pounds of muscle while losing 30 pounds and you wont be dependent on exogenous insulin anymore.

At the end of the day, it isnt the carbs, is the body fat that is causing all these prohlems. Fat is oxidative and the inflammation that comes with it causes the insulin resistance.

Whatever it takes to lose the weight, make it happen.

Regarding oxalates: if anyone has some weird problems that can’t seem to be controlled, cutting out some high oxalate foods may clear it up. There’s a great new book out that explains it

Edit: what the hell is up with Amazon pages not pasting right lately?

The "Flu" you are describing is from an imbalance of electrolytes. You have to supplement with salt.

Robb Wolf wrote a ton on this.

Type 2 Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrates so removing them for the equation helps fix the situation. Lose about 30 pounds and the insulin use goes down to nill. Gain about 10 pounds of muscle while losing 30 pounds and you wont be dependent on exogenous insulin anymore.

At the end of the day, it isnt the carbs, is the body fat that is causing all these prohlems. Fat is oxidative and the inflammation that comes with it causes the insulin resistance.

Whatever it takes to lose the weight, make it happen.
There is some interesting literature out that points to excess linoleic acid being the cause of diabetes(it damages the way mitochondria operate in cells) and excess sugar just making it worse.

When doing carnivore you absolutely need to increase your fat intake. I’d guess your apprentice was still eating too lean. He may also have some undiagnosed problems that are complicating things

The wife and I just re-started carnivore a few weeks ago. I’ve eaten maybe 200g carbs total since then and haven’t had any problems

And fiber is not a necessary addition to any diet. There are some positive benefits, binding with heavy metals & helping detox, but those benefits are not exclusive to fiber
Perhaps, I didn't ask him what meat he was eating.

I did keto a few years back and had zero issues with constipation... But it took me a week of having to eat every 2 hours to zero in on the fat thing... I could eat a prime rib for breakfast and spend the entire day building fence and not get the shakes... And the "hungry" feeling was just a weird hollow feeling. No shakes, no stomach growling/aching... Just my body telling me it was ready for some sustenance.

Energy level and clarity of thought was absolutely amazing.

Mike

Perhaps, I didn't ask him what meat he was eating.

I did keto a few years back and had zero issues with constipation... But it took me a week of having to eat every 2 hours to zero in on the fat thing... I could eat a prime rib for breakfast and spend the entire day building fence and not get the shakes... And the "hungry" feeling was just a weird hollow feeling. No shakes, no stomach growling/aching... Just my body telling me it was ready for some sustenance.

Energy level and clarity of thought was absolutely amazing.

Mike
Did you have any problems sleeping or cramping/electrolyte problems?

I started keto last summer and lost about 25lbs in 2 months and felt great. So I tried mixing in more carbs and just fell out entirely, gaining back 15 over 4 months, losing energy, getting headaches, etc. So I’m restarting with new fervor based on some simple pattern recognition ie. when I eliminated carbs I felt better.

I have a few foods that really help. Avocados, hazelnuts, and coconut chips.

I'm hardly a dietician...but any time I've wanted to lose weight, the one sure fire thing that's worked for me is to just eat less.

Don't really change anything I eat...try to eat pretty well rounded....but I just do one meal a day....with the occasional 2 small meal days thrown in...

Cut out as much processed sugar as possible...really only drink water and black coffee...

Generally try to target ~1000-1600 calories a day.

The fad diets never really made sense to me...humans didn't evolve over hundreds of thousands of years eating only meat, or never eating carbs/ sugars...but we did evolve not having readily available food 24/7.
The problem with calories in/calories out is that your metabolism slows down to meet your energy inputs. You can exercise to trick your body for a little bit but that can’t last indefinitely. Eventually you’ll be reducing your calories down so low that you don’t get enough to support anything and you might as well be fasting. I’ve heard of plenty of doctors/physical trainers that had people eating 500 calories a day for a long time that still couldn’t lose weight. And then there’s a problem of not getting the proper micronutrients that your body needs to function, let alone enough protein to maintain muscle or enough fat for proper hormone production

I’m not saying calorie reduction doesn’t have a place in someone’s diet. It’s just that it’s been overused for so long and it’s based on some oversimplified studies/theories

As far as the “fad diet” argument is concerned. You’re right that humans have eaten just about everything. What they haven’t eaten until very recently is a larger and larger percentage of calories from processed seed oils. There’s a graph in this article

that shows an alarming relation between processed seed oil consumption and chronic disease rates

Reactions: Charmingmander
I suspect that for 200,000 years humans ate 70% meat, 20% fruit and vegetables, and no more than 10% carbs.

I suspect that for 200,000 years humans ate 70% meat, 20% fruit and vegetables, and no more than 10% carbs.
They certainly ate fruit and tubers(roots of specific plants that can sometimes be eaten). “Vegetables” are very specific parts of plants. They are the leaves, stems, seeds, and roots. And these parts are what the plant absolutely does not want to be eaten, hence the presence of defense chemicals to deter excess consumption

But we definitely ate animal meat, fat, & organs. That’s most likely what caused us to evolve into humans in the first place