• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calypso no joy

BeteNoire

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2009
Testing out the Calypso Instruments anemometer, but cannot get it to connect to Strelok Pro. Just get a spinning icon of death and it never connects. Does anyone else have one that is working or is this just a POS waste of time?

Thanks!!

Still waiting for mine to show, so much for ordering it from the "official" US distributor.

Check the usual permissions allowing the unit to access location and storage.

For troubleshooting purposes, will it connect to their own app?

Poking around in the android version a few days ago I did see there was a built in help link that referenced firmware updates.

Generally you need their app installed, which will include drivers so the apps can understand what the instrument is talking about.

Generally you need their app installed, which will include drivers so the apps can understand what the instrument is talking about.
Calypso Anemotracker app is installed and connecting fine to their device. Strelok Pro app has all permissions enabled, just sits and spins...never connects.

I sent an email, but it got sent back/rejected...I guess that communication link is dead. I put a post in his subforum. Hopefully he hasn't been "cancelled" by big tech overlords.
Which email you use? He recently had a domain change.

On a side note, the Calypso ultrasonic anemometer is super cool to just leave running during a range day. I put it up on a tripod and left a tablet on a shooting bench for all our shooters to reference. It is constantly giving speed/direction in real time. The device has a little dimple that you just point toward your target to get your compass/cosine value. Pretty cool. I think I'm going to try to make a raspberry pi app that just constantly displays the output from the device, as well as other weather sensors we have on our shooting area.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Testing out the Calypso Instruments anemometer, but cannot get it to connect to Strelok Pro. Just get a spinning icon of death and it never connects. Does anyone else have one that is working or is this just a POS waste of time?

Thanks!!
Try to update to latest version:
iOS - version 6.84
Android - version 6.6.7

On a side note, the Calypso ultrasonic anemometer is super cool to just leave running during a range day. I put it up on a tripod and left a tablet on a shooting bench for all our shooters to reference. It is constantly giving speed/direction in real time. The device has a little dimple that you just point toward your target to get your compass/cosine value. Pretty cool. I think I'm going to try to make a raspberry pi app that just constantly displays the output from the device, as well as other weather sensors we have on our shooting area.
I just found this a couple of days ago and saw it’s Garmin comparable. Love the idea but unsure if the cost / reward is there. Do you find the wind readings are a help and accurate?

I just found this a couple of days ago and saw it’s Garmin comparable. Love the idea but unsure if the cost / reward is there. Do you find the wind readings are a help and accurate?
The readings seem accurate, I'll have to put it head-to-head with my Kestrel and confirm. The same thing can be accomplished with the Kestrel on a weathervane rig. As a spotter, it was kinda nice to be updating wind calls for my shooters as I watched the wind fluctuate. I think it would be cool to have a mast attached to my spotting scope so that the target direction dimple on the anemometer is slaved to my viewing direction. That way the wind direction stays synced with DOF...and my Kestrel isn't sitting in the sun spinning around on a weathervane.

The readings seem accurate, I'll have to put it head-to-head with my Kestrel and confirm. The same thing can be accomplished with the Kestrel on a weathervane rig. As a spotter, it was kinda nice to be updating wind calls for my shooters as I watched the wind fluctuate. I think it would be cool to have a mast attached to my spotting scope so that the target direction dimple on the anemometer is slaved to my viewing direction. That way the wind direction stays synced with DOF...and my Kestrel isn't sitting in the sun spinning around on a weathervane.
Thank you for the response. I hope the speed is matching to a kestrel or better. The thing I like is the ability to point it towards the DOF and see the wind direction. Since I don’t have a kestrel and run a Garmin Watch with AB this is the piece I’m missing from the kestrel.

Did you order direct from their website?

Very very tempting

Igor: The guys at Labradar told me to download the latest version of your app and that got it working. Thanks for all you do. I really appreciate your aggressive adoption of the latest technologies.

Reactions: x2cross and 6.5SH
Thank you for the response. I hope the speed is matching to a kestrel or better. The thing I like is the ability to point it towards the DOF and see the wind direction. Since I don’t have a kestrel and run a Garmin Watch with AB this is the piece I’m missing from the kestrel.

Did you order direct from their website?

Very very tempting
I ordered it through Amazon, but it shipped from Labradar.

Cool thank you. Very very tempting. Only issue is to figure out how to mount / manage it for matches.
Magic arm and clamp to a tripod leg or 1/4-20 threaded rod attached to your cinema rail etc.

A short magic arm could be used with rod and a coupler to allow "folding" the rod when not deployed. Something like these:

Magic arm and clamp to a tripod leg or 1/4-20 threaded rod attached to your cinema rail etc.

A short magic arm could be used with rod and a coupler to allow "folding" the rod when not deployed. Something like these:

That’s what I was thinking and looking at but wasn’t sure on height given I use my tripod for Binos. I’ll take it off when I need the tripod for support.

That’s what I was thinking and looking at but wasn’t sure on height given I use my tripod for Binos. I’ll take it off when I need the tripod for support.
I have the Larue SPOTR cage on my Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope. I just ordered a couple parts from small rig to attach the Calypso to the side of the spotting scope:

Should be able to tilt it up/down as needed.

I have the Larue SPOTR cage on my Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope. I just ordered a couple parts from small rig to attach the Calypso to the side of the spotting scope:

Should be able to tilt it up/down as needed.
Cool thank you. Would you mind sharing a pic?

Got mine today. No problems connecting to their app or up to date Strelok Pro.

Only issue so far is getting it to charge. Their app shows 2 out of 3 bars, no %.
Tried to update the firmware but says not enough battery, setting it on the pad the light never goes blue to indicate charging.
Not sure if this is a battery protection feature or what.

Got mine today. No problems connecting to their app or up to date Strelok Pro.

Only issue so far is getting it to charge. Their app shows 2 out of 3 bars, no %.
Tried to update the firmware but says not enough battery, setting it on the pad the light never goes blue to indicate charging.
Not sure if this is a battery protection feature or what.
Make sure that you turn it upside down to charge it.

Yeah, no joy there. Trying to run the battery down with it in front of a fan and the 1 second Tracking on.

Yeah, no joy there. Trying to run the battery down with it in front of a fan and the 1 second Tracking on.
Jeez, that's annoying. I do wish it had a backup hardwired charging port. Do you have tech supports email address?

Jeez, that's annoying. I do wish it had a backup hardwired charging port. Do you have tech supports email address?
Two email addresses and a form here:

Reactions: Average guy
Hopefully they get back to you quick. It took them maybe two days for me.

Charging issue was the chinese-ium charging pad that was included. When the top was cut for the rubber anti-slip ring it went outside the circle and has jacked up the element spacing. QC fail there but doubt Calypso did anything other than take one from a box and put it in their packaging.

Got an Anker from Dr. Evil's Emporium and it is charging now.

Charging issue was the chinese-ium charging pad that was included. When the top was cut for the rubber anti-slip ring it went outside the circle and has jacked up the element spacing. QC fail there but doubt Calypso did anything other than take one from a box and put it in their packaging.

Got an Anker from Dr. Evil's Emporium and it is charging now.
Ahh, I did notice that was wonky. In order to make a good connection, I had to really jam it into the micro USB port. Anker makes quality stuff though.

After using it at several practice sessions and a match as well as in the house in front of a fan I have some observations.

In continuous low/no wind conditions it seems slow to register whats going on, if are at above 2 MPH it is better on the wind speeds. For rimfire and air rifles this is something to be aware of.

Based on the features I assume it has at least a 6 DOF IMU, it also seems that what you mount it on can cause soft-iron magnetic distortions. I suspected this may be an issue given the 1/4-20 female mount is made of brass. Putting the Micro on steel threaded rod seemed to make the wind direction slow to detect change and very slow to get to a mostly correct direction. Making a stand off adapter from a cut 2" brass bolt seemed to greatly improve the direction response and accuracy.

The Bluetooth connectivity and re-connection has been stellar. Other app developers should take note that it can be done well. Battery life seems to be great, but I would rather have a % indicator Vs the 3 bar crap. The AnemoTracker app needs to add a screen timeout setting or ability to disable it like Strelok does. Is annoying to have to adjust that via global system settings.

Reactions: BeteNoire
Any development since september?
Has been another firmware update since then but nothing for the Anemotracker app. I've been very pleased with how mine has been working so far, app niggles aside.

The other major development was a third sensor in this family, it is what the Wind Zero folks are using for their setup with LoRa and their own app allowing readings at up to three different ranges.

I mount my calypso on my spotting scope so that it is always slaved to direction of fire. Then I use the Strelok Pro app, which connects to the device and displays real-time crosswind direction.

Reactions: Raufoss and 6.5SH
I mount my calypso on my spotting scope so that it is always slaved to direction of fire. Then I use the Strelok Pro app, which connects to the device and displays real-time crosswind direction.
In next version will be big renovation of Calypso interface in Strelok pro. User can set Calypso azimuth once and change direction of fire (DoF) by changing target azimuth. With phone compass. No more need to rotate Calypso device when changing direction of fire

Last edited:
Excellent, I just installed the new version and it's perfect!
I asked Igor if it was possible to enter the temperature of the powder as well :)