• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cam pin upgrade suggestion.

I wouldn’t recommend upgrading your cam pin to a roller. The roller has a single point of contact on the upper receiver while the standard cam pin has 1/4in or so of contact. It’s the lateral force imposed by the upper receiver on the cam pin that is important, not the cam pin rolling back and forth On the X axis.

I have POF roller cam pins in almost all my gamer guns. The downside is you have to either modify or replace the gas key. For me it was good because I found out one of my gas key bolts was sheared off and was giving me intermittent problems.

Have been using the POF roller in my large frame gassers for years. No mods required and runs great, problem free.

What cam pin upgrade do you recommend? I'm getting very slight wear on my AR15/.223/5.56 upper.
This was posted over on another forum by a very legitimate individual. This might help you on a number of levels.

Have been using the POF roller in my large frame gassers for years. No mods required and runs great, problem free.
For a small frame gun, the roller interferes with the gas key during installation and removal

Had to put a roller cam pin in one I put together with an Adams Arms piston kit on it. The cam pin wore a nice grove down the side of the upper receiver, filling the action with aluminum shavings every time out. The roller cam pin stopped the problem.

if you're talking about that area in the upper, the cam pin cutout, that one corner, I think that's normal. it wears a little, and then that's it. at least, that's been my experience. I get that wear even on the uppers that have the POF roller pin.

I have POF roller cam pins in almost all my gamer guns. The downside is you have to either modify or replace the gas key. For me it was good because I found out one of my gas key bolts was sheared off and was giving me intermittent problems.
I been trying to find an answer to this forever..
So I can't just remove the normal gas key on my BCG and install the POF roll cam pin and then install it again (then restake it or thread lock or whatever)? Or is the modified gas key POF makes for removing and cleaning the roll pin? Or rather do I want to have access to removing my cam pin or can it be cleaned and lubed while it's stuck in place?

You definitely can put the mil spec gas key back in place after you install the POF roller cam pin. If you do, you won't be able to dis assemble the bcg unless you remove the gas key.
Replacing the mil spec gas key with the POF one makes it so you don't have to remove the key to dis assemble the bcg.
It isn't about cleaning the cam pin, it's about cleaning the bolt and inside the carrier.

Reactions: kmckinnon