• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Camera for Alaska trip

ironman56

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
Question for all you photography buffs in the hide , I've got a fishing trip coming up in late July early August to the Keni River in Alaska, and need recommendations for a midrange under 300.00 camera , I haven't bought a new camera since the smart phones started including cameras, my last one was a Panasonic that is only 6 mega pixels, and although it takes perry good pictures, I know I can do better with a more modern higher resolution model , needs to be fairly compact for obvious reasons, what say the hide.

I would recommend renting a camera body and lens(es) through Lensrentals (formerly BorrowLenses). For the amount you’ve budgeted, you’ll get a much higher-quality setup. I don’t have any affiliation with them, but my wife is a photographer, and she’s rented from them multiple times.

If you go that route, don’t cheap out on the lens(es). A crappy Canon kit lens vs. an L series lens (top of the Canon line) will make more of a difference than the difference between an entry-level vs. mid-grade camera body.

Like anything, you could easily find yourself out in the weeds adding peripherals or sorting out what goes with what, so I’m happy to help you think through the DSLR rental option.

Reactions: USK308
Reactions: NewsShooter
My old iPhone 7 does a solid job.

Easier to deal with with all the fish slaying!!

And use a high quality camera for scenery and stuff. I had one of those already. Sony, not a huge dslr to deal with everywhere.

A couple from the Kenai and one from Resurrection Bay on the iPhone.
My 65 yr old mom hammering the sockeye, last week of July 2022.
BF5C6AC6-B954-43BF-B5A0-AAFBEAAC59CF.jpeg
AA825BA2-739C-41A7-9653-784100113953.jpeg
16290E9C-C642-472E-B211-9BCDD5A63CB1.jpeg

Reactions: rhsc
I would buy a top of the line phone instead as a phone is waaaaaaay more convenient due to its slimness and size.

Even a small mirrorless setup like an Olympus OM-1 + lens is huge compared to a phone.

And if you’re just looking for snapshots the phone is king.

You could experiment with a GoPro/vlogger-type setup for the slice-of-life sort of viewpoint like shown in some hunting vids.

$300 is a hilariously low figure for a camera these days. It’s like saying, “I’ve got $8000 for a mid-range new car.”

Reactions: mrmarklin
Whatever you do, practice the crap out of it before you go. Just like you would if you bought a new ballistic solver.

New cameras, especially, are like computers these days and can be quite frustrating if you just pick them up and expect to immediately know how to use it.

I bought a used Fujifilm X100F for my Alaska Summer trip.

Cell phone cameras were not good for long range shots back then (2019), not sure if zoom works better now.
Anyway, the Fuji photos were amazing, but the camera was very complicated for a beginner like me to figure.
Fortunately, I did have the 188 page user manual.....
DSCF3571 copy.jpeg

Last edited:
Back in the day, it was “Canon or Nikon” on top. Looks like it’s still the same today. But they’re Expensive. I have the iPhone 15, and while it takes remarkable pics, distant shots are not as good as an SLR. I also had an Olympus years ago.

So it looks like a new phone is the way to go , I use the android platform, and have a Samsung A51 now it's like 2-3 years old , I'll see what's available from Verizon witch is my provider at the moment, was thinking of switching to patroit something or other ,might check them out out as I have a couple of months before I go., should have known 300.00 was not realistic, I can budget more but a new phone is probably a better option.

I bought a Nikon COOLPIX S33 for a float trip with my kids some years back.
Small compact, fits your budget and takes pretty good pictures even underwater.
Has been a pretty good camera for what I paid for it.

So it looks like a new phone is the way to go , I use the android platform, and have a Samsung A51 now it's like 2-3 years old , I'll see what's available from Verizon witch is my provider at the moment, was thinking of switching to patroit something or other ,might check them out out as I have a couple of months before I go., should have known 300.00 was not realistic, I can budget more but a new phone is probably a better option.
Verizon is new up here so coverage may be a problem. You may want to look at a carrier unlocked phone and pick up a prepaid sim from the carrier that works best in the area you end up in.

with phones costing $1K now and broken up into monthly plans as an expense on you I'd look at mirrorless and increase the budget a lot. I've got a DSLR, Canon 5d Mark Iv and like it a lot and use interchangeable lenses. If you're looking for the camera for just this trip and don't want to spend $$$$$ . . . rent one and get insurance on it! I've rented lenses before that were cost prohibitive and very specific case use.

with phones costing $1K now and broken up into monthly plans as an expense on you I'd look at mirrorless and increase the budget a lot. I've got a DSLR, Canon 5d Mark Iv and like it a lot and use interchangeable lenses. If you're looking for the camera for just this trip and don't want to spend $$$$$ . . . rent one and get insurance on it! I've rented lenses before that were cost prohibitive and very specific case use.
While I agree phones have continuing plan expenses, depending on how deep you’re going to go with photography, often so do cameras.
  • Photo editing recurring “rental” model software, or use crummier interface free versions that often involve even more time/effort to learn
  • Recurring cost photo organization/tagging/database software (photo mechanic etc)
  • Dealing with possible massive amounts of storage
  • Figuring out your backup plan, which can be simple or involve recurring fees
  • Steep learning curves on all of the above
  • Time/effort required to later share images and videos (locating, downsizing, transferring them to phone/PC) is a lot more vs having them instantly/near instantly organized and ready to share on your phone
  • A couple memory cards and card reader can be $$$$, depending on the camera
And you need a phone anyway.

If all one is doing is snapshots & immediately sharing as you catch fish, like, “Hey, look at this cool mountain,” or “Look at this fish I caught,” then go with a phone in a tough case. Buy external magnifying lenses for the phone for distance shots.

Yeah, not as good as a DSLR/mirrorless lens but ask yourself, what’s your focus? Sharing, high-quality pics, art, simplicity, lightness/form factor, ease of traveling with, lots of focal lengths available, etc etc.

If you want to video stuff further away, bring a spotter/tripod (maybe you’re already bringing that?), stash it at the cabin/home base, and use the Ollin phone adaptor on it. A small tripod would be nice anyway for videos of the northern lights or something.

If sharing is your focus, a DSLR/mirrorless camera sucks.

Last edited:
Also, if he rents a camera it may not be as cheap as if I would rent a camera. I know what I’m doing and if I rent a Canon or Nikon the workflow is familiar. Receive the camera a BANG I’m up and running.

If I rented a Sony A1 then I’d need to sit down and shoot it for a solid week (couple hrs a day) with a few lenses to really understand the system.

If he comes from film SLR days and never used a DSLR or mirrorless setup before, holy shit he’d be in the hurtbag if he pulls it out for the first time in AK, or even for the first time a couple days before the trip.

If a total photo noob, he’d have to spend some serious time acquainting himself with his chosen system, which would cost a fair amount if renting. Noob like, what’s an f-stop? What’s RAW format vs jpg? How does ISO work?

However, if he goes that route, Lensrentals used to have some policy about applying rental fees to a purchase but I believe you have to immediately purchase after the rental period ends. You can’t wait a while.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
I'll see what's available from Verizon witch is my provider at the moment, was thinking of switching to patroit something or other ,might check them out out as I have a couple of months before I go.
Call and ask what cell service provider works the best up where you’ll be. Trust me on this.

iPhone!
I have Nikon gear, Leica analog and digital, they all mostly sit at home while my 14Pro does EVERYTHING including video, panoramic and closeups, 9x mag.
-Richard

Reactions: carbonbased
Also, if he rents a camera it may not be as cheap as if I would rent a camera. I know what I’m doing and if I rent a Canon or Nikon the workflow is familiar. Receive the camera a BANG I’m up and running.

If I rented a Sony A1 then I’d need to sit down and shoot it for a solid week (couple hrs a day) with a few lenses to really understand the system.

If he comes from film SLR days and never used a DSLR or mirrorless setup before, holy shit he’d be in the hurtbag if he pulls it out for the first time in AK, or even for the first time a couple days before the trip.

If a total photo noob, he’d have to spend some serious time acquainting himself with his chosen system, which would cost a fair amount if renting. Noob like, what’s an f-stop? What’s RAW format vs jpg? How does ISO work?

However, if he goes that route, Lensrentals used to have some policy about applying rental fees to a purchase but I believe you have to immediately purchase after the rental period ends. You can’t wait a while.
I agree with you that there’s quite a learning curve. I had to take a lot of shitty pictures before I started to get from the camera what I saw in my head, or maybe it was more of training my eyes to see things like the camera did so I’d know whether something was a shot or not.

The last time I worked with BorrowLenses, they had a good policy about insurance/damage to equipment that wasn’t simply “you broke it, you bought it,” but my wife uses them more nowadays for shooting weddings.

My Note 9 takes incredible shots, can be easily sourced for under $300 with 512mg storage off of eBay, and is arguably the most robust and powerful Galaxy Note to date with excellent cameras, filters and features. I hunt with mine all over the county and pair mine with a Phone Skope case + adapter behind a Swaro ATC 17-40X56 and it captures amazing shots and video.

You might be underselling your own abilities.

I'm a big camera junkie, and have all types. From left to right, full spectrum modded A7S for night/IR imaging, Fuji GFX50R medium format, SBIG KAF16200 CCD, Moravian KAI11002 CCD. I probably have more money in astronomy related imaging equipment alone than I do in firearms all together (including ammo spent/stored).

IMG_0320.jpg

To operate all of these cameras, I really only have to know three things:
  • ISO
  • Aperture
  • Exposure time

Sure, there are camera menus, and OS interfaces, but 90% of the features in them are garbage and pointless. I turn off almost all of the "camera" stuff in the camera, and operate 100% manual using mostly just those three things mentioned above.

There is very little difference between an A1 and any other camera, except for the OS menu. Sure, the knobs are in different places, but you can learn them in minutes by watching a quick YouTube intro video. I think if you rented an A1, you'd be fine.

This is all just "camera side" though. There is a lot other stuff going on in photography that creates great pictures, but those are environmental and don't have to do with your camera. The environmental stuff can be learned/practice in an entirely camera agnostic fashion.

You might be underselling your own abilities.
You’re probably right.

I guess I am imagining a scenario I would tend to be in and vs. a more generalist sort of photo experience (landscapes, people photos).

Birds in flight is the sort of scenario in which each camera brand (and sometimes each model within the brand) has vast differences in how their autofocus works with birds. One must get an effing Ph.D in the minute intricacies in how submenu Blue Wrench 4 interacts with button 6 in relation to dial 3 lol.

If I just want to take a darn pic of a mountain, then if I can set the camera to manual or aperture priority then I’m probably good.

Birds in flight is the sort of scenario in which each camera brand (and sometimes each model within the brand) has vast differences in how their autofocus works with birds. One must get an effing Ph.D in the minute intricacies in how submenu Blue Wrench 4 interacts with button 6 in relation to dial 3 lol.
AF can also be fixed/simplified with just modifying aperture. Narrowing your DoF does several beneficial things for action photos:

• Lowers required ISO, providing better dynamic range
    • dynamic range = 20log(full well capacity/read noise)
      • Increasing ISO does lower read noise (which is good), but it devastates your full well capacity due to artificial values (which is incredibly bad and will almost always outweigh the benefit of lowering read noise)
      • With wider AP values, your photon ingestion will allow for lower ISO values
  • Lowers required exposure time (this helps getting a sharper photo, but it also helps lower the AF sample time on a lot of cameras)
  • With a narrower DoF, your subject pops more from the surroundings, allowing the AF to snap onto it harder

AF can also be fixed/simplified with just modifying aperture. Narrowing your DoF does several beneficial things for action photos:

• Lowers required ISO, providing better dynamic range
    • dynamic range = 20log(full well capacity/read noise)
      • Increasing ISO does lower read noise (which is good), but it devastates your full well capacity due to artificial values (which is incredibly bad and will almost always outweigh the benefit of lowering read noise)
      • With wider AP values, your photon ingestion will allow for lower ISO values
  • Lowers required exposure time (this helps getting a sharper photo, but it also helps lower the AF sample time on a lot of cameras)
  • With a narrower DoF, your subject pops more from the surroundings, allowing the AF to snap onto it harder
Yeah, usually people shoot birds wide open or only slightly stopped down. That’s not the complex bit at all.

I’m referring to bird eye detect/ bird detect algorithms and how they have wildly different implementations across Canon, Nikon, and Sony. Canon also throws into the mix a method of AF tracking using your own eye.

So, learning to calibrate these three different manufacturer’s systems to the environment, the type of bird movement, and to your own way of using a camera becomes a mini-job unto itself.

I have actually rented the Sony A1 and it is seriously amazing. For birds, it beats the pants off of my Canon 1dx III. From what I’ve read, Sony is the way to go for birds.

I just don’t want to upgrade (yet) my entire “signal chain” to use the Sony lol (computer, renting the Adobe suite, etc) so I’m sticking with comparatively ancient Canon DSLRs and buy-once Abode stuff for now.

Nikon’s mirrorless long glass is currently tops (light and small or big with built-in teleconverters) but for me their Achilles heel has always been their Byzantine menu system (& no one stop shop custom modes) and laborious bird AF conceptual model.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas

Go to 9:00min on this video to see how a very experienced pro had issues trying to adapt to Nikon’s autofocus way of doing things. He mainly shoots Canon but reviews all three major brands.

Note that Nikon may have already addressed his issues via firmware updates. I am showing you this to explain what I am driving at above, that even for experienced photogs, dancing between current systems is a challenge in some photo genre niches.

Nikon’s firmware game is top notch. I know they added pre-capture via firmware, which basically takes pictures before you press the shutter button so you can catch a bird taking off.

So, I’m not looking for someone to explain how to fix his issues, as they may have already been fixed.

If you watch him shoot, you can see the crazy finger dance he has to do in order to get the camera to do what he wants. He doesn’t have to do that with Canon/Sony. This has to do with his individual prefs and also with workarounds with Nikon’s AF system at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
I have the latest Canon whiz bang gear. Mirrorless R5 and most expensive lenses. Unless you need or want pro level pictures, get a nice cellphone. Cellphones, except at the very high end, have driven everything else out of business.
Also at the high level, I feel naked without a tripod. This can also improve quality at any level of expertise.
But you already have your RRS tripod, right?

Camera's and lenses follow the exact same rules as the optics that we use for LR shooting. Sometimes with the same brands occupying the same product tiers.

I had a T5, and beat the shit out of it for several years. Upgraded to a T6, and have been beating the shit out of it for a couple years now. They are tough as hell, and while not the highest megapixel count, they take capture some great pics in any and all conditions. I've used mine camping, fishing, diving, range, dust, mud, snow, etc.

The T7 is worth looking at as well.
I'm a fan of these Olympus point and shoot cameras in particular, as it will shoot in RAW if you choose to edit anything in post once you get home.

1715830002225.png

I’d say either rent something high-ish end for a little more than you were gonna spend, buy yourself some high end equipment, or use your phone and buy a subscription to photoshop and AI that shit. I spent over 10k last year on photography equipment and the AI advancements are out pacing what I can spend.

The eagles were taken in Alaska last summer, the horses in Utah last summer.

Edited to add, A good alternative is spend a bit more than renting equipment and hire a photographer for a couple days of your trip.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reactions: Evolution 9
I had a T5, and beat the shit out of it for several years. Upgraded to a T6, and have been beating the shit out of it for a couple years now. They are tough as hell, and while not the highest megapixel count, they take capture some great pics in any and all conditions. I've used mine camping, fishing, diving, range, dust, mud, snow, etc.

The T7 is worth looking at as well.
I'm a fan of these Olympus point and shoot cameras in particular, as it will shoot in RAW if you choose to edit anything in post once you get home.

View attachment 8419213

Excellent camera, have one and love it. Shoots great pictures, it’s small and tough as nails.