• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Camo job for varmints at the desert oasis

our gang

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2007
Cora, Wyoming
My first attempt using Rusto. "stone paint" with a stencil from the craft store and rusto matte olive green. I don't know how rugged the stone paint will be as it has a lot of texture (probably inappropriate for a 338 LM !)
The rifle is a classic 722 222 Rem with a 26" Shilen bbl and Canjar SST. Stock was a Hogue off a 308 Rem. 700. Bought the rifle with a Redfield scope and the stock also on the hide.
Scope got sold and replaced with a late Weaver K 12AO with the rather rare double horizontal CH. So why isn't the metal and scope painted too? Well I buy and sell scopes so fast that painting one might not be a good selling point. As for the rifle, there are these neat slip on neoprene kits you can to cover the scope and rifle. The 700 bottom metal is already flat black and the kit will cover the scope, mount and barrel. I'll matte blue the bolt handle to quiet it down.
Now I just gotta find a palm lined oasis overrun with p-dogs!
AS it was after stock swap:
DSCN2748.jpg

As it is now:
DSCN2805.jpg

DSCN2806.jpg

Re: Camo job for varmints at the desert oasis

Just did a Remmy 700 stock in the stone texture about a month ago. Waiting for gunny to get the barrel threaded to the action so I can finish it. I really think it will hold up pretty well. Shouldn't have any reason to drop it, thats for sure.

Think you're right about some kind of overlay to tie the stone paint together, maybe a flat epoxy.

"Kalifornication "? you must be in Jackson.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think you're right about some kind of overlay to tie the stone paint together, maybe a flat epoxy.

"Kalifornication "? you must be in Jackson.</div></div> Sure ain't in Jackson but just as well be with all these damn calis and mormons movin in

Well we got meth head rig pigs so maybe Mormons are better. Most of the Kalis I know came here to escape the land of OZ and are slightly to the right of Genghis Khan.

But Jackson... that is OZ. Only county to vote for Cary and Osama.
Lemme see, I am rich so I want to elect the guy who will increase my taxes....DUH!

At least it is closer to the Y-stone caldera than we are!

The nice thing about that stone paint texture is that it's rough enough that you don't need to spend a ton of time sanding any stock work you did. Just rough it down, make sure it blends ok, hit it with some primer and then the stone.

That camo blends in well with the palm trees in the background. Snowbird.

Yup, gotta be ready to hide in the palms when the economy collapses and the unfed hoards try to come here from Miami to steal our coconuts.

Is your Tikka Master sporter the same as these? Best bargain ever made!
tikka22250.jpg

308tikka.jpg

Yep I was going to get a photo but, I cant find my camera. Ill get one for you tommorrow.

I used some krylon and a few artist sponges to bloch green and black over a tan base coat on my 22-250 for yotes and it turned out very well! my camera is down at the moment but i will try to get a pic of it.

I had the trigger adjusted down to 2lbs and glass bedded the recoil lug. I believe, its been around 5 years since I shot it. 42grs of Benchmark and 165gr Nosler Ballistic tip, works really well in mine. I was shooting around .5moa at 100yds.

Yeah I have a 6.5x55 (don't ask how that ever made it to the USA) and a 308. Had a 22-250 one also. All are one holers as issued. Have had no luck in getting the single set trigger ONLY sold over there and have also missed out on two 7x64s (never imported). This outfit has a lot of neat stuff for them and I may have to pop for one of their triggers.
http://www.mtguns.com/tika.htm

Sad to say the camo finish is going to have to be stripped as it just doesn't hang on to that rubber stock. I found another product made by Krylon that is a wrinkle finish.
Sprays on smooth and dries wrinkled. I have used on things like rusty chrome bumpers and it is very durable.

Also found two neat products from Beartooth. First is a slip on scope cover that does not cover the lenses and can be slit to expose turrets if necessary. Comes in several camo patterns. The second is a non-skid/slip tape designed for trucks and ATVs. It has a surface about like 36 grit sandpaper and comes in camo. The tape is somewhat flexible and, with a little work provides a good covering for a barrel that is quite waterproof and leaves the original blue intact. I put it on the 222 barrel and it looks nice. When I get back to WY, it's going on my new Marlin
"poor mans TAC rifle" as the barrel is matte black. With the Talley one piece mount, Burris 30mm 3-9 BDC TAC green scope and Versa Pod, it should come in under 700 in 270WCF. Anxious to try some Berger .277s in it.
FFII_tactical2_04.jpg

pop_wm_1143956.jpg

Well the stone paint looked cool but was not very durable nor adhesive to Hogue stock. So I stripped it and went to a Bradley
brown with gray and green palm leaves in a Krlyon matte. The barrel has the Beartooth tape and the scope the open ended Beartooth cover (mentioned above). If I could just shoot the fing Iguanas out on the golf course behind my house.........

DSCN2813.jpg

DSCN2814.jpg

DSCN2816.jpg

DSCN2817.jpg

DSCN2815.jpg

DSCN2812.jpg

I have used the paint on truck bed liner for texture, works great.