• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Camo tape - adhesive - for covering scopes

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
I’m going to paint a couple rifles but I’m not set on the scopes I’m currently using staying on these. That said, I’m not getting a warm a fuzzy about painting the scopes. I’m looking for some first hand experience on Camo tape that you’ve used. Brand? Who’d you order from? (Seems most of this shit comes from Europe). Worth the trouble?

I have some of the self adhesive shit that is like the crap nurses use to hold the cotton ball post blood draws. This doesn’t seem like a good solution.

Thinking something like these:

Camo tape you can buy at Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc. Very similar product to those wraps for horse legs they sell at farm and ranch stores, and even seen those in a camo pattern.

Below is the brand I've used to wrap scopes, and it worked well. Leaves a little glue residue when you take it off, but that can be removed with alcohol.
I've bought it from Cabela's.

Last edited:
I got some scapa tape off Ebay but the shipping prices seem to have gone crazy. It's like hockey stick tape but only comes in tan and a weird green.

Reactions: FatBoy
I have the McNett tape on now as a trial. Seems to work Ok. It also seems under field use it may peel or unwrap. I can see this shit snagged on some trip vine and pulling loose.

I get the residue. I have resigned myself to cleaning glue or paint. I was thinking maybe glue was the lesser of two evils but maybe not?

Gear Aid Camo Form (Formerly known as McNett Tactical). I have used it on my scopes (pre Scope Chaps) and it is currently on my Atlas CAL bipod legs and my tripod legs. It's pretty durable stuff and I have yet to have an unraveling issue. Actually, it sticks to itself so well that it was pretty tough to get it off the scope when I got the scope chaps. No residue issues at all either.

T

Last edited:
I am going to try this stuff on a scope to match a Mossy Oak rifle.

Reactions: FatBoy
Vet wrap comes in various colors and is only self adhesive. Doesn't leave any residue and is made for outdoor applications (wrapping animal injuries). It is also slightly cushiony in texture. I wrapped my comp scopes in it to help prevent abrasions from props/windows/etc...

81LcmSRDjKL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

81kCZ3cUaYL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

XLlAGvO.jpg

They have numerous camo options

I use the GearAid stuff you can get from Amazon, they have a ton of colors too. It's not adhesive backed and won't jack your shit up.

I'd stay away from the adhesive stuff like Coban, hockey tape, skate tape or anything else like that. It will get all gummy in humidity or direct heat and leave residue all over your stuff, trap sand to it, and just be an overall unpleasant experience lol.

I have used Gear Aid Tenacious Tape to fix my puffy jacket from tears in the field and was very pleased with the quality.

The vet tape is cheap and works good, just be mindful if your shooting in Arizona heat, it will melt right off your scope

AIRSSON 5 Roll Camouflage Tape...

Used this a fair deal.

You beat me to it. I got some of that for my rifles. It clings well and you can remove it later, without residue. Duct tape, OTOH, can leave a residue.

Reactions: DoctorBen
I have this “vet tape” on it now. No field use so jury is out.

You beat me to it. I got some of that for my rifles. It clings well and you can remove it later, without residue. Duct tape, OTOH, can leave a residue.
I like that with this stuff too when the ends start to unravel a bit, it’s just ghille…. My bipod legs and front of the rifle get a fair bit of abuse through brush, and when I was setup in a hedge on tripod in blowing wind, felt all the tails blowing too… felt very one with the brush. Granted, that moose at 535 yds was running in regardless to a call and wouldn’t have noticed a disco globe, but… I felt cool.