• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Camo tape your rifle: British style.

Re: Camo tape your rifle: British style.

Looks like they tape it and paint the tape. . .

Is there a reason they tape? Maybe the armorer's don't let them paint the guns? I'm curious to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Core</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who gives a F@#$ what the British do. They also eat Blood Pudding-- doesn't mean I want it for B'fast.

smile.gif

Core </div></div>
Was it a joke??? you funny dudde.

search on e-gay under sniper tape

tape your stick up then use face paint to smear a camo finish

Damn Deerslayer must be a transplanted Cajun, what ya doing so far from the bayou! Just dont say you eat thos nutrias too.

LOL my mom and that entire side of the familiy is from there, spent a few very interesting summere playing in the swamp as a kid. Thankfuly my dad is from Eastern Oregon so I didnt turn out too messed up as an adult LOL. I will say I do crave cracklings (sp) from time to time, pork rinds just aint the same.

definitely looks like it softens the edges of the AI stock. What's the consensus about tape/wrap/etc on your barrel?

As previously stated check ebay, there is a lot of it floating about.

Or search for sniper tape on google and have a look at the uk surplus shops, it's all the same stuff. Kinda' like a rough bandage tape.

And it's black pudding not blood pudding, don't knock it till you try it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: morland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As previously stated check ebay, there is a lot of it floating about.

Or search for sniper tape on google and have a look at the uk surplus shops, it's all the same stuff. Kinda' like a rough bandage tape.

And it's black pudding not blood pudding, don't knock it till you try it. </div></div>

Thanks a lot I foud it on ebay

hi guys

yes tape is used as paint is not always allowed - not so much nowadays but different units different rules.

However the tape takes away the shine and gets looking rough -like a ghillie suit- to aid the breakup.

the British army doesnt really allow personalising your own rifle ie torches etc but once again the last few years function over rules out in the sand box. - with torches taped to rifles etc

Welcome to Sniper's Hide..... We Can P### Off Anybody!!

Man, I love this place.

and when they say chips they mean fries.....

...and by torches he means flashlights.

smokers over here say " can I have a packet of fags" or "just going outside for a fag"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp67</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: morland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As previously stated check ebay, there is a lot of it floating about.

</div></div>

Thanks a lot I foud it on ebay </div></div>

Search under MARPAT tape and you will find it.

The SAS has a fair amount of leeway on what they want to do with their rifle and where they get the gear.
Whether the men in the pic are SAS or not, who the hell knows.
Either way, it seems as though field expedient is still the king out ion the real world, and I love it..

Sas - can do what they like -first time i ever saw a spray painted SA80 A2.

If i can work out how to post picture i will put one in.

Snipers tape was given to recce units and snipers they would tape up everything then write their name on it!

Pretty standard to tape up sniper rifles now, it used to be wraps of hessian sacking like a ghillie suit, on the rifles. Gets rid of the shape , shine, sharp edges etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Practical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and we say trousers not pants.....

</div></div>

Also you say Ricky Gervais, instead of Steve Carell.

wink.gif

Gaffer tape would work well...it doesn't leave a residue on the rifle either....not sure about a hot barrel though. Buy I like the gaffer tape because it is truly cloth, unlike OD duct tape and leaves no sticky residue.
Identi-tape gaffer tape

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: morland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And it's black pudding not blood pudding, don't knock it till you try it. </div></div>

Greetings from the Colonies morland. Don't know how old you are or what part of UK you're from, but Grandmum and Gramps called it Blood Pudding and I am entitiled to knock it. I'd kill for her Shepherds Pie, Haddock and Chips, Tongue with Coleman's Mustard or even Little Boy in a Bag though. Oh, and anything with Lyle's syrup!
Cheers...

I spent a lot of time with a Brit recce team while in the desert, and the only cook we had was a Brit cook. I won't go into details, but F beans for breakfast, curry chicken, blood sausage, and that damn brown gravy they put on everything. Thankfully it was only a week at a time and we would be relieved by another team. I swear I would lose five pounds every time.

The recce boys were pretty squared away guys though. Loved working with them, just not their fruity taste in music or food.

Cheers,
Andrew

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems the tape on the barrel would have an effect on the accuracy wouldnt it? </div></div>
Theoretically, if tape were installed after zero was obtained, perhaps in some minescule way, but so would any paint, camo stick, tape protecting the muzzle or even dust settling on the barrel after zero.
wink.gif

Practially speaking, especially in the context of the Sniper mission, nope!

Does that mean one should allow the barrel to come in contact with other objects, nope again.

It's just better for a Snipers longevity to a avoid showing straight black objects from a concealed position.

34edxcj.jpg

95tmxl.jpg

Got a few rolls from a company in the UK, their specialty is making custom SAS style smocks, but also carry the tape. With apologies the name escapes me - it was about 4 years ago.

The pic is old but the tape is there. It would collect dirt and grit as it was handled but held on very well with little or no residue iirc.

Ah here is the stuff: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MATT-RECCE-TAPE-2-...1742.m153.l1262

It's called "matte recce tape" by our friends the poms
wink.gif

It was kind of fun to do, was planning to do the AW but never got around to it. It's like mummifying your rifle:) And if you want a handy it- install from the rear of the rifle and move foward ~ this way the edges are exposed to the rear and will be less likely to come up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sub2.908cm/100m</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: morland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And it's black pudding not blood pudding, don't knock it till you try it. </div></div>

Greetings from the Colonies morland. Don't know how old you are or what part of UK you're from, but Grandmum and Gramps called it Blood Pudding and I am entitiled to knock it. I'd kill for her Shepherds Pie, Haddock and Chips, Tongue with Coleman's Mustard or even Little Boy in a Bag though. Oh, and anything with Lyle's syrup!
Cheers...</div></div>

For a small country we do have a vast amount of regional dialects so I don't doubt that somewhere it may be called blood pudding. It is an acquired taste, but if you keep trying it you will grow to love it.

Tongue, now you are being brave, food like that (and BP) is on the decline here in the UK. It's all fillet steak and chicken breast.

And I've been known to eat Golden Syrup with a spoon straight from the can...

It's are differences that make us interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: morland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tiger222 - could it be sass </div></div>

That's it, exactly the place, thanks.

Anyone try this with duct tape? Just curious if it would have the same effect. Only tape I found was overseas.

McNett tape is good to go!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bvt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone try this with duct tape? Just curious if it would have the same effect. Only tape I found was overseas. </div></div>

Only if you want sticky crap left all over you and your rifle, esp if its hot out....

I don't like tape adhesive residue, and worry about whether it's gonna trap moisture and aid corrosion. If I were going to paint over tape, I'd be using masking tape, preferably a low-tack variety, and replacing it frequently.

Greg

the Mcnett stuff is good...you can also use the self adhering bandage material, which is all the mcnett stuff is. I use the white for winter time...and it comes in brown and black too.

McNett Camo Form

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: From Soldiersystems.net</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/page/2/
Technically it’s Camo Form® Self -Cling Camouflage, but most everyone just refers to it as Camo Form Tape. Whatever you call it, it works. As you can see in the depiction below, the Camo Form® is very effective at visually camouflaging your equipment. What you can’t show in a picture is that it also improves noise discipline by cushioning equipment. It also protects the finish and function of gear.

One roll will take care of most of an individual’s requirements (2&#8243; wide x 144&#8243; (4 yds) long). Camo Form is self-clinging and not affected by moisture. What’s more, it gives smooth items a little grip so that they don’t slide.

McNett Camo Form®

Available in Mossy Oak® New Break Up®, Mossy Oak® New Shadowgrass®, Mossy Oak® Obsession®, Mossy Oak® Brush®, Universal Camouflage, Digital Woodland, Digital Desert, 3-Color Desert, Woodland, Snow & more.</div></div>

All ten styles are available from Desert Deuce Surplus. The going rate seems to be $13-14 for a roll of 2" wide X 144" (4 yds) long.

Walmart has some for a bit cheaper if you want to go that route.

Botach tactical has quantity discounts and also has plain black tape.

It seems to be a bit like gauze but sticker and is marketed as sticking to itself and not the rifle; so you would need to wrap it tightly in a way that overlaps itself so it is the stretch tension that really keeps it in place on the rifle. That is what I gather from the marketing anyway - I've never tried it and may be wrong on that one.

I'm kind of surprised they don't make any Multicam or ABU patterns (or comblock camo for the airsoft crowd) :shrug:

I had it on one of mine for a while. The DesMARPAT one matches the BDU perfectly. Some parts are easier to wrap than others.... the upper and lower receiver is definitely harder...

IMG_6287-vi.jpg

IMG_6293-vi.jpg

OK; I took the bait. I found a roll of camo patterned duck tape out in the garage.

I started by covering the wood with blue 3M masking tape, a brand new roll so there'll be no issues with non-peelable tape. Once the whole area was covered with the masking tape (I left the metal uncovered), I then covered it all over again using the camo duck tape.

Did this with the Remmy 870 and the Win '94. I also blue taped the Mossberg Bolt Action Rifled 20ga, but didn't do the camo because I didn't think the roll had enough on it to complete the task. The M70 .30-'06 alrady has a camo stock.

Celia is down in Watkins at the Wallyworld with Jen and the Grandkiddos picking up some incidentals, and she has camo tape and type 2032 batteries (for the dot scopes) on her list.

I received my 24 hour warning order at Noon today to be ready to go out tomorrow, and as soon as Celia gets back, if she found the tape, the last issue on the checklist will be all set.

Greg

Celia found the tape, the Mossberg is done.

Very white outside, will be wearing my urban (white, gray, and black) camo BDU tousers as shells along with the urban camo field jackets. An orange vest with black and gray acrylic paint streaks and a Columbia heavy woolen white (sorta urban, but not so white) camo winter bush hat completes the ensemble.

I be da Yeti Crossing Guard...

Greg

Did this one tonight. Not to shabby, and not nearly as messy as paint.
IMG_0527.JPG

saw a rem model 7 tape scattered 8 inches at 100 yds from a 1.5 inch dont know about any other one cured my tapeing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tarzan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">saw a rem model 7 tape scattered 8 inches at 100 yds from a 1.5 inch dont know about any other one cured my tapeing</div></div>

WTF did you just say???? Not trying to be a dick, but what???

said it said shot like shit he wrap stock and barrel together which i know was a fuckup bandage looking tape was used