• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft CamoPicker

jsimmons

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2011
Texas
www.paddedwall.org
I thought I'd let you guys know about a program I wrote called <span style="font-weight: bold">CamoPicker</span>. It allows you to use a picture of your geographic environment in order to better select appropriate camouflage colors with which to paint your gear.

The idea is that you to select a paint system (Duracoat, CeraKoat, etc), a camo pattern, a weapon, and it will then overlay the weapon on your selected environment photo so you can see how well it conceals.

The program is absolutely free to use, and the link is in my sig. If you have any questions, suggestions, or comments, feel free to speak up.

Re: CamoPicker

Very cool program man! Been messin around with it and i'm gonna use it to paint my dads rifle.

Edit: BTW is there a way to add more camo patterns/updates to the program?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dirty_drew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool program man! Been messin around with it and i'm gonna use it to paint my dads rifle.

Edit: BTW is there a way to add more camo patterns/updates to the program? </div></div>

Yeah. I've cobbled together some instructions. Look under <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Documentation</span></span> in the menu. It's rather involved, but if you have moderate experience with decent paint programs, it's totally doable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reclaimer1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet! </div></div>

V2.0 (under construction) is even better. I hope to make it available by Christmas.

I wanted to go through the process of taking a picture, loading it, coming up with colors, and actually painting my guns, but real life (TM) intervened. We recently moved to a new house, and now it's too cold to paint, so I have to wait until about March to even order the paint (I'm going with Duracoat). I just hope the zombie apocalyse doesn't happen before then.

I've been thinking of writing a similar program, but you did better than I could have!

When you go to the advanced form, you can actually pick any color you want (even colors that weren't matched to the image), as well as any of the available patterns.

After 2.0 is finished, I'm going got post the source code on CodeProject in the form of an article.

BTW, the new version is coming along pretty so well that I thought I'd start writing the User's Guide for it. I've posted what I have so far on the CamoPicker site if anyone is bored and wants to check it out. You can get there via "Documentation | User's Guide v2.n" in the menu.

(The site URL is in my sig - just click "CamoPicker".)

Take black out of the colors. Black isn't a natural color (unless its burnt). It's caused by shadows...which will recreate itself.

Thanks for the feedback, and I generally agree, but...

0) Black is in there if it's a color available from the
manufacturers. Besides, some of Duracoat's patterns use black.

1) Duracoat has several "shades" of black, but I've chosen to only have one shade of black in that particular paint system.

2) While the app might determine that black is a viable color match for a given environment photo, it also allows you to use any color you want - even if it wasn't one of the colors it matched in the environment photo. This would effectively eliminate black from the matched colors.

3) In the current version of the app, if you want to make sure black isn't returned as a color match, use a photo that has as little black as possible. This is a viable workaround until v2.0 is released.

4) Your comment has given me the idea to add a way for the user to choose to ignore black color matches, and the app can then find the next most suitable color. Thanks for pushing on my brain.
smile.gif

For what its' worth, both Duracoat and the Federal 595B standard have other colors that I don't consider to be conducive to effective camouflage, and I've taken steps to remove them from color-matching eligibility. These colors are the reds, pinks, blues, yellows, and the "electric" shades.

EDIT ================

I just finished adding the "ignore black" functionality. Thanks again for the idea.

jsimmons,
upon attempting to install Version 2.0, a window pops up saying that ' .NET Framework is needed and can be downloaded from the internet. Do you want to install .NET Framework now?"

Whatinhellisthat? I whacked it a few times with a hammer, but it still wouldn't work. So I'm asking this here.

0) What version of Windows are you using?

1) Assuming you told it to download/install the .Net Framework, did it present you with an error message of any kind?

2) I i have eight computers here, and all of them are running Windows 7 and already have .Net 4.0 installed, so i can't test this particular aspect of the installer.

3) A support web page is available.
smile.gif

I check the Microsoft site to see if .Net 4 would work on XP and I think you have to have XP Service Pack 3 installed before installing .Net 4. I'll try to verify that, and will update the CamoPicker web page when I find out.

If you're feeling adventurous and have nothing else to do, you can try installing SP3 and then try the CamoPicker install again.

OK, thanks for the help. I have already (just now) installed the .NET and installed the Camopicker program.

Now I have to go find it, to start it. Everything seems to be squaring away. I just shift to 'hesitant' mode, when trying to do something and then all the sudden, I have to 'download' something else. (haven't had good luck with that type of thing in the past.)

Thanks again for your help though, and Merry Christmas! This program is definitely starting off in the right direction.