• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Campers

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    Wife and I have been discussing getting a camper a lot lately. I know someone posted recently about wanting to live in one full time, but this goes the other way. Basically a toy to get out and go camping with/tow to the hunt camp/club for the weekend.

Something we can easily tow, stay in for the weekend, then head back to the daily grind. She thinks a pop-up is the way to go, but the dang things look like they’re a PITA, and don’t look the best insulated (we’re in FL, gonna need AC). I like the hard-bodies myself. Something small and lightweight, and definitely used is the way I want to go.

Any thoughts? Recommendations

We have a Jayco Baja Edition 17 foot. It’s small but has everything you need. It sits up high. I have taken it down some pretty nasty roads and it has survived. Pretty bare bones in terms of what campers can offer, but we wanted a place to cook, sleep out of the rain and have a bathroom. No pullouts. Has AC, fridge, heater etc. it’s held up well. Price point was around 15G last year. I would buy it again.

Reactions: UKDslayer
    Those long wheelbase 4x4 Vans would be badass if you didn't want to pull something

IMG_4418.JPG

I live quite a ways north of Florida.
    However, in the summer, an A/C is truly appreciated. In the winter, the trailers with all the plumbing and such in the heated portion are a no brainer.
    DO NOT GO THE POP-UP ROUTE. You will forever regret that decision. They do have their niche. They tow nice and some even have racks for stowing 4 wheelers on top and such, but there are other options such as "toy haulers" that have a sort of garage in the back or others that have decks for such items.
    An actual trailer is much more handy. You can pull over for a nap or lunch anytime you want. There is less setup time. Better resale. I can go on.
    Your options are first limited to your tow vehicle then your budget.
    Get one that has about the same wheel to wheel (passenger side to driver or as some say, curb to road) width as your tow vehicle. Be sure your mirrors can see behind the trailer at least with mirror extensions. Just because your tow vehicle is rated for x pounds, don't try to get to that max tow weight. Decide EXACTLY what you want to do with it and search for models that fit that little niche. They are not one size fits all.

Last edited:
    Those long wheelbase 4x4 Vans would be badass if you didn't want to pull something

View attachment 7710016
    There are others out, most are not 4x4. Dodge makes one, Nissan makes one. They are definitely badass.
    BUT...it's a vehicle with all the ordinary vehicle maintenance as opposed to a trailer without an engine, transmission, differentials and such, tires, also, consider insurance costs. For the weekend a month type user, not the best choice.
    As cool as they are, I would not consider one unless I were actually retired and doing some sort of expedition or living in it near full time. I HAVE been looking at the UniMog quite seriously as my retirement home (well, sorta, kinda). Maybe with some sort of car trailer to haul a motorcycle and some other toys. Those UniMogs are, truly, BADASS.
    With a trailer, you can drop it and head off without all the extra baggage...so to speak. I think this is what the OP is looking for.

Drive around your AO . The people selling their used campers are done for the season . Now's the time to scope out some deals .

Reactions: Maggot
    TT's are NOT maintenance free, just because they don't have a motor or tranny does not mean maintenance free. The Jayco Hummingbird might be what you're looking for, small/light but no experience with them. I have a Mesa Ridge Lite 2410RL that I pull with a F150 3.5EB. Don't listen to the RV sales guy telling you that you can pull a 30 foot/8000# TT with anything.

Same rules apply:
    1. You better be handy, because there is always something to tinker with, all the time. Down time for waiting on a tech, and the expense is a major headache. Dealer services are the worst. Fix it yourself.
    2. If you are going to need A/C, then you might as well go to 30 ft. 25 at the least, since you are going to always be hooked up. Or sink 10,000 plus into a solar/lithium/inverter/window air or mini-split conversion. Or run a generator way too much. At least then you have the room inside for some of the crap you are going to need/want.
    3. Spend a weekend in your driveway with a rental, and monitor how long it takes to deplete supplies, fill tanks, etc. Try that with every model you are considering. Major lessons learned.
    4. Any RV in any form, will sit more than be used. That's a lot of investment and tied up cash. NO RV retains or recover's it's value/cost.
    5. There is a learning curve. Backing and towing are only a small part. What to bring, how to hook up (sewer hose is an art unto itself, the way some sewers are set).

Reactions: Foul Mike
    TT in the 20 - 22 ft. size will give you a bit more room which will be appreciated for storage that all TT's are lacking. Most will have 20# grill tanks, if possible get a couple of 30#. If you are not going to have access to 120 volt electric, 2 batteries will help a lot to lengthen your stay. Weight will be in the 3000# - 4000# range. Easily towed by a 1/2 ton PU. This was the size we began with years ago. Since then we went to 28' TT, 30' 5th wheel, 36' fifth wheel now back down to 28' TT due to age.

Posted while I was typing. Read hackpac's post, important stuff there.

Last edited:
    I have a Fleetwood Mallard 18CK. Total length is 23 foot I think. We have used it a lot, with no major problems. If I had to do over again I would get something different.

Mine is too heavy for its size, and it sits too low to the ground. Make sure whatever you buy has enough ground clearance so you wont drag the bottom in rough terrain.

I would not buy a popup. They are a pain to setup, and in the hot summer you will be mad before your camp is even setup.

New campers are in short supply around here just like everything else.

Drive around your AO . The people selling their used campers are done for the season . Now's the time to scope out some deals .

He lives in Florida.... RV season is JUST GETTING GOING. Spring time is the time to find deals on RV's in Florida definitely NOT right now.

Reactions: oneshot86
    What are you towing with? That will eliminate a bunch of stuff...

My wife and I followed a guy out of Zion a few years ago who had a Riverside Retro 509 teardrop with A/C/heat, water, gas stove, queen bed, etc... under 10k MSRP loaded up. No bathroom though, but my wife and I like to go to national parks and either camp there or at nearby commercial campgrounds, so that didnt bother us. We just want something hard side with A/C/heat. Now I see Riverside has a 511(supposedly replaced the 509) which is still "teardrop esque" but a little bigger with a little more amenities, although still no bathroom.

What are you towing with? That will eliminate a bunch of stuff...

My wife and I followed a guy out of Zion a few years ago who had a Riverside Retro 509 teardrop with A/C/heat, water, gas stove, queen bed, etc... under 10k MSRP loaded up. No bathroom though, but my wife and I like to go to national parks and either camp there or at nearby commercial campgrounds, so that didnt bother us. We just want something hard side with A/C/heat. Now I see Riverside has a 511(supposedly replaced the 509) which is still "teardrop esque" but a little bigger with a little more amenities, although still no bathroom.
    06 Tundra V8 2WD. I myself could live without a head, but the wife and 2 boys that are growing like beanstalks says otherwise lol.

A camper is a moving house you better have deep pockets or know how to fix it. I’m 34 and been around them all my life. My grandfather had one 24 ft nomad that had been to both coast and Alaska and down in Mexico. He had to rebolt it to the frame a few times. I was 12 the first time I helped with that job. Think new you won’t have problems lol I’ve helped fix first time out camper in the camp ground. YOU WILL BE WORKING ON IT.
    Towing make sure you have the weight in the tow vehicle. Trailer brakes are great till they don’t work. F150 with a 30ft won’t stop very fast !! Tow rating is just a number use your brain . That number includes all the shit in the camper and you and shit in the truck. Seen the same 1500 with a boat get it’s ass end pushed around a turn into the boat ramp year after year. If what you are towing is pushing you around time to make a change.
    You have different hitch options for bumper pull educate yourself on these and how they work and what they are for.

Wife and I have been discussing getting a camper a lot lately. I know someone posted recently about wanting to live in one full time, but this goes the other way. Basically a toy to get out and go camping with/tow to the hunt camp/club for the weekend.

Something we can easily tow, stay in for the weekend, then head back to the daily grind. She thinks a pop-up is the way to go, but the dang things look like they’re a PITA, and don’t look the best insulated (we’re in FL, gonna need AC). I like the hard-bodies myself. Something small and lightweight, and definitely used is the way I want to go.

Any thoughts? Recommendations

We used a pop-up for several years. They have some advantages.....but many disadvantages!

Advantages: lightweight, less wind resistance when towing, inexpensive, tow with most anything, you can take it places that a typical hard sided camper can’t go!

“DIS” advantages: this one may be just my luck - it seems to rain or snow nearly every time out....meaning that if you had to fold-up ( this pertains to units with canvas) to travel your bedding gets wet. Once at new location or home you must dry everything out! Not easy to heat or cool (actually colder than a tent in cold weather) very limited storage or carrying capacity, limited fresh water capacity, most do not have black or grey tanks, very small refrigerators. Summary......not much better than a tent!

My opinion.....unless you are a dedicated “minimalist”, you nor the wife will be “very happy” for “very long”! memtb

I grew up camping in a popup but would never buy one myself. We recently got our first camper this year. Got a 15' TT by Jayco. Like you, we just wanted something for quick easy weekend getaways. We have been a family of tent campers for years and felt like if we were dragging a 30' behemoth with all the luxury of home, we may as well just stay home... especially since our property is nicer than 80% of the state's campgrounds.

The 15-footer though is "cozy" for a family of 4 and 2 dogs. We're already planning on a larger TT.... probably a 19 - 22 footer. I could pull the 15 with my Xterra but it was at its limit being 16 years old now so I upgraded to a Ram truck last week. A travel trailer is super convenient for all the reasons already mentioned. Back it in, level it and you're basically done. We have all the convenience of home but still feel like we're camping. It fits in our driveway and is easy for me to work on.

We bought used and paid around $10k for it. If you buy used, go over it with a fine toothed comb. They always have issues! They are all mass produced cheap crap. Take an honest look at how often you will use it vs it sitting in your driveway. It's why we leaned towards smaller at first, to test the waters without too much investment.

Good luck!

I grew up camping in a popup but would never buy one myself. We recently got our first camper this year. Got a 15' TT by Jayco. Like you, we just wanted something for quick easy weekend getaways. We have been a family of tent campers for years and felt like if we were dragging a 30' behemoth with all the luxury of home, we may as well just stay home... especially since our property is nicer than 80% of the state's campgrounds.

The 15-footer though is "cozy" for a family of 4 and 2 dogs. We're already planning on a larger TT.... probably a 19 - 22 footer. I could pull the 15 with my Xterra but it was at its limit being 16 years old now so I upgraded to a Ram truck last week. A travel trailer is super convenient for all the reasons already mentioned. Back it in, level it and you're basically done. We have all the convenience of home but still feel like we're camping. It fits in our driveway and is easy for me to work on.

We bought used and paid around $10k for it. If you buy used, go over it with a fine toothed comb. They always have issues! They are all mass produced cheap crap. Take an honest look at how often you will use it vs it sitting in your driveway. It's why we leaned towards smaller at first, to test the waters without too much investment.

Good luck!
    I am wanting to replace my 23 foot trailer with something smaller like you have. Hard to find anything right now.

Outdoors RV. Pick a floor plan.

23DBS would probably work well for you with two growing boys.
    They used to make a 21DBS that was a little smaller but less privacy for mom and dad.

Last edited:
    Reactions: shields shtr
    Keep renting different types until you land on the one that works best for your needs. I would stay away from the popups. They're not really cheaper or much lighter and you're adding one more step, or several, to your set up.

CAUTION: You may find yourself crawling into a very deep rabbit hole! 😁 In a period of 20 years we went from a pop-up to a 1995 year model, 40+ foot, 20, 980 pound 5th. wheel....with several stops along the way!

Since that 1995 model, we have downsized a bit. Our present camper, shown in my avatar image, is only 39 feet and 20K pounds. All of our 5th wheels since 1993, have been from one manufacturer (now out of business)....once we learned of their wintering capabilities! They carried a -20 F guarantee. We lived in our first one through 2 Wyoming winters (while we were building our home), seeing a bunch of -20’s with a few -30’s thrown in. We never froze anything and stayed comfortable! memtb

Reactions: camocorvette
    I took a look at that Riverside Retro one somebody was linking to.
    I'm thinking the Retro 135 would actually be a fair bit more convenient and still very light if it's just 2 folks camping out.
    The weight is low enough at 2600 pounds that most larger minivans or midsized SUVs could pull it easily.
    The dry bath is pretty nifty.
    If you went with the lift kit option and the dinette, you could be pretty nice and snug in it.

1- As stated above, rent, borrow, steal an RV and stay in it before you buy.
    2- Get out and look at 10 year old RV's. Look for leaks (mushy floors, under counters, around toilets)), rusted fasteners, Fiberglass that has been repaired (one area shiny and the rest chalky), look at the ROOF which few buyers actually do. rubber roof under cover last a long time. Rubber roof under intense sun light may last 8 years. This list goes on forever...
    3- How has it been maintained ? Cat scratches on the wood trim ? How does it smell pet's, smokers, meth lab, sewer smell, etc ?

Eventually all RV's become a rabbit hole.....

Great comments above

1- As stated above, rent, borrow, steal an RV and stay in it before you buy.
    2- Get out and look at 10 year old RV's. Look for leaks (mushy floors, under counters, around toilets)), rusted fasteners, Fiberglass that has been repaired (one area shiny and the rest chalky), look at the ROOF which few buyers actually do. rubber roof under cover last a long time. Rubber roof under intense sun light may last 8 years. This list goes on forever...
    3- How has it been maintained ? Cat scratches on the wood trim ? How does it smell pet's, smokers, meth lab, sewer smell, etc ?

Eventually all RV's become a rabbit hole.....

Great comments above
    Some very good tips there! Never buy new! There is (was until very recently) tremendous depreciation in RV’s.

We bought our last one (8 years old at the time) for approximately 20% of what the original owner had invested! His terrible loss was our gain! Don’t let your terrible loss help someone else! memtb

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    Any one own a RV by Grand Design? The wife and I took a look at one a couple of months ago. From everything I've seen, they seem to be a pretty good unit. Walk on roof, extra insulation, bigger AC and heat, actual porcelain shitter............this was on a 26'.....

As was said above, watch the listed weight of the trailer, the tag showing the weight as empty weight, no batteries, propane, water, or your gear, and then the flat out lies like mine that says half ton series on the tag but weighs 8000lb empty, if you plan on using it, stand up shower not the one with the stupid little tub, and sit on the toilet they stuff some of them in spots that no one can fit into, unless you are staying only where there is power price in a generator, I have 2 of the Honda 2000 and you run a parallel kit super quit and very fuel efficient.

Any one own a RV by Grand Design? The wife and I took a look at one a couple of months ago. From everything I've seen, they seem to be a pretty good unit. Walk on roof, extra insulation, bigger AC and heat, actual porcelain shitter............this was on a 26'.....

Which one in particular?
    I don't own one but I literally just almost bought one. It was a Transcend Xplor by Grand Design. The reason I picked this one out is because it was built way better than the other options.

OP, this is one thing you want to consider. Many are built so cheaply. Make sure you research the manufacturer and look at how they built the model you're looking at.

I work in industrial jobsites so for people like me, it's pretty common to live out of a travel trailer when we leave for work. I've lived in a few different ones and that is one thing I've noticed. If they're built so cheap, you'll end up with problems. Things breaking, material flexing, roof leaking, etc.

If you're buying used, look at the roof. And once you purchase one, get up on your roof at least every 6 months and look for Cracks. The sun makes the roof brittle with time and it starts to crack and break. You want to be filling and fixing cracks ASAP. Somebody told me flex seal works great for that.

Pop ups are okay but wet canvas can mildew if not dried. Very easy to pull and good in gas. Setup pretty quick once you get the hang of it.

We have a 24' Starcraft now. Go spend a day at a dealer. Ask to see how pop ups are set up. Think of a floor plan. Walk around bed vs a Murphy bed could make a huge difference on choices.

the wife and 2 boys that are growing like beanstalks says otherwise lol.

Disregard my suggestions. Didnt realize it was going to be 4 people. The ones I mentioned are solo/2 plus a dog or 2, but thats it.

get a bumper pull. i have a fifth wheel and its huge. dont think its be easy to get in and out of a hunting lease. dont get me wrong its comfortable. id suggest finding one with hydraulic levelers. they make em a lot more stable.

For the hunt camp parking, that's great. Most any rv will do. For camping with the wife and family, where to you intend to go? With sales in the hundreds of thousands of units per year, finding a nice campground for next weekend is becoming next to impossible unless you can plan 6 to 12 months in advance. For kicks, pick a nice state park in FL or anywhere where you would like to go and see what sites are available next weekend and for the next 6 months. Be sure to include in your search power requirements and sewer hookups.

When you don't use it, where are you going to store it? If you live in a HOA, chances are you can't store it in your backyard. Also, if you live in FL, the ultraviolet rays will eat up your shiny new rv in a couple of years. You really should store it inside so add a storage building to your costs.

If you want an ac/heat pump, one unit will bump you to 30 amp service and 2 units to 50 amps. You can't run an ac from the house with an extension cord on a 20 amp outlet. Most older, nicer campgrounds only have 30 amp service.

Finally, water is the worst enemy of any rv. Water always finds a way in and silently destroys your pricey toy. This is another reason to store it inside.

You better be handy with tools. Nuff said. Also buy used, as almost every new rv has a lot of issues and it will likely take months to get them addressed by your dealer (see 500,000 new units sold every year above).

You will be miles and dollars ahead if you stay in B&Bs or nice hotels. Or you can be a diehard like me and buy a RV anyway and put up with the misery. I'm living in mine right now and I'm glad I have it.

What you're towing with is really going to dictate what your options are.

General rule of thumb is half-ton is only good up to 6k GVWR and nothing over 26ft. I've heard that repeated a lot.

Pay attention to your payload on your truck. You'd be surprised what max payload is on some rigs -- and you loose a lot with a diesel truck because of the heavier engine and stupid heavy exhaust.

The ram power wagon, for example, literally has a 1k lb payload. That's not enough enough to haul a family and tent camp. Can you pull more, load more? Sure, but you have a wreck and they want to say it's your fault for being over weight -- you'll lose that fight.

Same problem towing a camper. Oddly, these newer half-ton trucks have tow ratings that they are absolutely not capable of safely towing. I had a 2020 Ram 1500 with a 1760 payload and almost 12k tow capacity. Now, you take a 10k lb 15ft trailer loaded with steel and it actually tows just fine.

Hook up my 35ft camper and that changes thing. Your truck's wheelbase, distance from pivot/hinge/hitch to trailer axle(s), etc all start to come into factor how much leverage the camper has on your front tires.

Then factor in height, length, and how aerodynamic the trailer is and you're going to start seeing a lot of force that can be applied through that massive lever system.

You'll read a hundred people write how they tow a 10klb camper with their half-ton and have no problem. Then a hundred posts saying don't.

Don't.

And don't listen to the salesman -- they'll tell you that you can tow anything you can afford, basically. A good weight distribution hitch helps a lot -- with both the weight and the sway, but it's just not going to be a pleasant drive.

My camper is 35ft with a GVWR just under 9k. Far, FAR under my trucks payload and tow capacity. We bought it knowing that's what it'd be like, but it was the beginning of the plandemic -- I saw the writing on the wall, the camper was marked down from $48,000 to $33,000 and they accepted an offer of $30,000. So, we figured we'd tow it to local campgrounds and decide later if it was worth it to upgrade trucks.

Got an F-350 on order now.