• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can’t afford a copy or a clone but ....

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
I would like to build something similar to a M40 or M40 a1.

I’m thinking that the best stock to use is the B&C M40 stock and go with a M40 a1
type. Perhaps a USO ST10 or a Leupold MK4 10x. Rings and base, the Leupold dovetail.

For a M40 I’m not sure about a stock source. Badger makes the mount/rings. I’m not sure about the Hi Lux scope so I’d be interested in a suitable replacement that has a similar profile.

So if anyone has any information on sources, please share.

Now for the action. Which heavy barreled M700 action is suitable?

Why? Well I need a .308 (I don’t have one), I won’t be shooting any competitions do I don’t need a tricked out chassis rifle, I’ll hunt with it and a rifle with the feel of these systems would be cool I think. I was thinking about just picking up something to hunt with but this will be better.
Thanks for your help.

Paul

Reactions: Jthomas218
Brother, what is your budget? LibertyArms has a .308 Win 700 for sale on the Firearms PX for $1700 that is about what you are looking for. If you aren’t set on a 700, there is an FN SPR A1 for sale for $1100 or best offer that is nice... the Firearms PX might save you some time and money in the long run.

Reactions: RTH1800
Brother, what is your budget? LibertyArms has a .308 Win 700 for sale on the Firearms PX for $1700 that is about what you are looking for. If you aren’t set on a 700, there is an FN SPR A1 for sale for $1100 or best offer that is nice... the Firearms PX might save you some time and money in the long run.
Ha! I guess that’s important. I need to top out at $1700 (rifle, glass, rings). I can pick up the stock later.

Reactions: Dan M
Good deal Brother

That FN SPR is a solid rifle...i used to have an SPR A3G and it was damned accurate...sold it because I had a surplus of 308 bolt guns...sold them all except for the TRG-22 and an M24

Your easiest "M40" style rifle would be a remington 700 SPS varmint in a bell and carlson M40 stock.
I would forego the authentic mounts and just go with an EGW 20 MOA base.
The fixed 10 or 12 power SWFA super sniper would serve you VERY well.
They are better scopes than the old redfields, and much better than the leatherwood repro's.
Will it be the same?
No.
Will it provide you with an idea of what one was like to use?
Yep.
Not only that, the component's are good enough that, when you choose to rebarrel, you can keep the stock, base and scope.

Some years back, I gave this some real thought, and concluded that as rifles go, the M-40's are great rifles; but that for my needs, they are far better rifles than I have either the skills or the needs to justify having.

Rifles that serve my needs and skills completely cost far less, and I believe that the only thing such an additional expense would afford me is vanity...; and I don't do vanity worth a damn.

Now my dream rifle is the CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand.

RM1308SPCLIHC​
CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand IHC receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.
A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.
$1250
Free Shipping
Shipping within 2 weeks

A true (for me, anyway) dream rifle, $1250 and two weeks.

Greg

Last edited:
Don’t know if it’s exactly what you’re looking for but Remington makes the long range model that comes with the B&C M40 stock from the factory. That model gets mixed reviews but the one I had in 7RM was sub moa out of the box and was reliable but I sold it after one hunting season because it was a little heavier than what I wanted at the time.

Also, I don’t know anything about clones or where or what you’ll be hunting but if hunting is going to be the main purpose for the rifle and it’s not going to be in wide open spaces, something more flexible on the bottom end than a fixed 10x would be my preference.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
Rather than make a half way clone why not simply buy a rifle that fits your budget and use? You can buy for half build cost and get it right away. Avoid the “joys” of missed deadlines and busted budgets.

I am building my M40 copy on a buget.
So far ADL stock on ebay $100
Badger scope mount from swfa $150
Remington sps 308 from field and stream $400 (caught a sale)
Scope is your call but I was able to find a redfield 3x9 with the tombstone reticle for under $200 again on ebay
Granted, it's going to be a copy but when I'm done it will look the part so that's ok by me
Good luck with your build.

Reactions: libertyman777
Thanks for the input. I’m thinking about getting one of the 5r barreled actions from Euro Optic and the M40 BC stock. But I would like to go back to an original profile bolt knob. Is this a big deal?