• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can a 243 remmy bolt and new 308 aac-sd bolt be ..

shooter308

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have a fluted 243 bdl bolt with a tac knox that i love and just order a new remmy aac-sd 308 with the black plain bolt can these too be swapped out if i so wish. I know they have the same bolt face but just wanted to make sure there was any other problems i didnt know of. SOrry if this is a stupid question/or insults anyones intellience. thanks for any help

Re: Can a 243 remmy bolt and new 308 aac-sd bolt be ..

That is why bolts are usually fitted and SN to an action. It lets you know they all work and fit together, and are timed as it all should be.

Chances are it might work with little or no problem. However do you want to take that chance?

You cant just change out bolts. There are four dimensions that need to be fit to THAT bolt. 1 in tenon length, 2 in counterbore, plus headspace.

You CANT just check it with GO/NOGO gauges.

You can not just change out bolts. A warning about this should be sent out with factory rifles.

Well thanks virtue help what brought this on was seeing members selling action minus the bolt (but I can think of other reasons for this too).. secondly I see ptg selling bolts that I assumed were a genericfit in 308 and other caps. Thanks for the help that's why I love this site guess ill have to send u another bolt to put a handle on azprecision. Thanks fellows

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well thanks virtue help what brought this on was seeing members selling action minus the bolt (but I can think of other reasons for this too).. secondly I see ptg selling bolts that I assumed were a genericfit in 308 and other caps. Thanks for the help that's why I love this site guess ill have to send u another bolt to put a handle on azprecision. Thanks fellows
</div></div>

A new/different bolt will work fine in an action as long as there is a new barrel installed that is properly set up for the new bolt. Its all about the barrel tennon, headspace, counterbore, etc.

i agree with the others, its not just as easy as changing to bolts unless its set up to do so. check with your gunsmith to see if minor work could be done to let you change it though, hell be able to tell you pretty quickly.