• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can a neck bushing be too small? 223 gas gun reloading

Sokam101

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2020
I'm trying to get some neck bushing for getting into gas gun reloading. My mixed brass is .246" loaded od and precision gas gun starline brass .249" loaded od. I'm going to use a neck turned mandrel to open up the brass as long as there is enough neck tension. .221" ID. Can one bushing .243" work for both or would 6 thou be to much to squeeze the .249" brass?

Thank you for any help.

I would not use .243, crazy high neck tension. You want .001 to .003 squeeze, depending on application

I would not use .243, crazy high neck tension. You want .001 to .003 squeeze, depending on application
I agree. It's 3 thou for my mixed brass but if I use a neck turning mandrel it will open it up to 2.5 tho neck tension for both applications.

.002" works very well for me, I do use loads which have a high fill content so I have never encountered problems with bullet setback and attendant high pressures

I’d avoid it. You would be working your precision brass more which defeats the purpose of using a bushing to limit working and inducing stresses.

I would buy a normal full length length die to dedicate to the cheap crap brass in order to ensure they all get worked enough and then set the bushing die up for the precision brass.
My bolt die on top, my ar die below to accomplish that.
image.jpg

How much does the typical full length die size down the neck before being expanded?
Too lazy to go measure. :)

I use a body only die followed by the Lee Collet die.
I've ordered a small base die to test with my AR's and plan on reaming it out to a body only small base die.
0.252" ought to clear necks before using the Lee.
Thoughts?

Checked a Redding FL .223 die.
Neck area passes a 0.242 pin and drags on a 0.243.
OD of a .223 case passed through the neck measured 0.243.
With expander installed neck measured 0.245 to 0.246, with a bullet seated OD was 0.248.
Expander opened the neck about 0.002 to 0.003. Bullet opened it another 0.002 to 0.003.
Necked worked down then back up about 0.005 total.

The Body only die I use to bump 6mm HAGAR brass to 22 NOSGAR touches and lightly sizes the neck from 0.264 to 0.261.
Case on right passed half way into neck, case on left bumped.
Doesn't touch 22 Nosler necks.
After bumping there appears to be a slight 'Donut' about 0.259" caused by rolling shoulder into the neck.
This disappears when run through the Lee Collet die. 0.248 out of the die/0.250 loaded.
Looks like I will ream the small base FL die to about 0.260" as a small base body die (for NEW 6mm HAGAR brass) to test in my No-Gas 22N.
Measurements taken with a 0.001 caliper.

HAGAR-NECK.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sokam101