• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can a Rem 700 .30-06 be converted to .300 Win Mag

dragoon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
Carolina Lowcountry
I have a Remington 700 in .30-06 . Can it be converted to .300 Winchester magnum , like the M-24 ? I realize it will take a new barrel and some gunsmithing . Thanks in advance ...

Re: Can a Rem 700 .30-06 be converted to .300 Win Mag

You would need a new bolt or have the existing bolt face opened up.

You may also be able to rechamber the barrel depending on contour and twist....

I have a friend that's going to do it . He was going to use a SAKO extractor and blueprint the receiver . I have a Mike Rock M-24 profile barrel . He was gung-ho before - now he says we need a magnum action . Are we missing something ? Does the M-24 use a 'special' long-action receiver ? I want to build a Mk-13 clone , more or less ...

No such thing as a Rem 700 "magnum" action.

Suggest you reevaluate friend doing the work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No such thing as a Rem 700 "magnum" action.

Suggest you reevaluate friend doing the work. </div></div>

Ditto, hopefully your friend meant "bolt" and not "action".

Being a Lefty, I looked into this 25 years ago. I decided not to open up the bolt face of a LH 30-06 and chose instead to rebarrel a 700LH in 7mm Magnum. Lots less hassle.

Thanks all - I got it straight ... Because of his current business conditions , he no longer has regular access to a milling machine , so he can't guarantee that he can modify my bolt in a reasonable length of time . He suggested that I find a .300 Win Mag bolt , and possibly the matching receiver , in order to speed the project up . Guess I need to start looking ...