• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s Can Am Maverick Vs. Polaris RZR Turbo S

waveslayer

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2012
    CA
    Hey guys, I am in the market for a Can Am Maverick X3 Max RR RS or DS model , or a Polaris RZR Turbo S... all 4 seaters.

Does anyone have good experience on these two models? I own an older Polaris RZR 800, but it is so old that the new models are light years ahead.

I'm just looking for a general idea which to buy, yes I know everyone has opinions, that's what I'm looking for.

I like the horse power of the Can Am and room, I like the Polaris for the dynamic suspension system and wheel travel.

Both have pros and cons...

Intended use: Glamis, desert runs, mountain trails, and hunting when I need to run and gun down an animal

My son works at a multi brand dealership, here's his quick take. Can Am X3 over the Razor RZR Turbo S. The Can Am can be an electronics nightmare . The Razors are prone to early failure of belts, wheel bearings, ball joints and suspension bushings.
    If you're willing to look at something else he recommends the Kawasaki KRX 1000. It has less horsepower than the other two but has the dependability of Japanese manufacture and is easier to do general maintenance. Hope that helps.

My opinion is there’s more money spent at the factory on the Can Ams than the razors. There just a little more refined. I can’t give an opinion on reliability except both have been good in the past

Reactions: waveslayer
    I have owned a Kawasaki Teryx and liked it. I went ahead and bought the Can Am, they gave me a deal I couldn't pass up... thanks Hide

I own a 18 x3max and all my buddies have rzrs. Personally I love my car. Yes they all have their shortcomings and rzr guys bag on x3 and.... but mostly I love the room inside my car and the ride. Its so comfy. Two full grown men in a row rub sholders. Make sure to get a smart lshoulders. On a x3. The steering etc is much better. Also of good deals out there now. Wish I was buying now. Also the industry is changing so much id wait until next year to see what drops. Gordon's Speed xx would probably be my choice car if I were buying based off specs and if he actually pulls it off. If you buy a rzr expect to dump a bunch of money to get it up to par to a x3. I can believe Polaris hasn't released a new car yet. Its been talked about for a few years now. The cvt suck on all of them, especially if you ride the sand. I'm 80% sand and the rest desert runs. I trash a belt every third dune trip. I'm also running a pretty hot tune on e85 that doesn't help that situation. When I was fully stock I would go +-800 miles between belts. If I stuck to dirt and no sand it would double that easy. Sand is super hard on belts.

Attachments

• 20191130_105350.jpg
      20191130_105350.jpg
      368.1 KB · Views: 155
    • 20191110_132445.jpg
      20191110_132445.jpg
      454.7 KB · Views: 101
    • 20190920_183024.jpg
      20190920_183024.jpg
      550.4 KB · Views: 118
    • 20190912_140431.jpg
      20190912_140431.jpg
      405.2 KB · Views: 106
    • 20190912_134454.jpg
      20190912_134454.jpg
      509.5 KB · Views: 112
    • 20190329_185549.jpg
      20190329_185549.jpg
      383.9 KB · Views: 211
    I have a commander 1000 my next purchase will be an x3 Maverick

Great thread, exactly my dilemma as well. I really like the Can Am but all my buddies have Polaris and they all carry spare parts when out because they break down however they do. I’d be the lone Can Am in the group. How about the Honda? I liked the Kawasaki also but reading spec sheets is all I know on them. Carry on

The thing I love about the Honda is the drive train. If I lived in a different climate where sand dunes and desert weren't the main attraction id seriously look into one of those.

As bunk said, they’re both pretty quality. I’d sit in both, and decide based of which you feel is a better fit. Having owned RZRs and having a lot of friends that have new Can Ams I don’t think you can go wrong. The aftermarket support for both is huge. I’d stick with those too as spare parts and even loaners on the trail are more readily available.

I purchased mine in December 2018 (2019 CAN-AM MAVERICK X3 X RS TURBO R) and it has been a great machine. I looked at several RZRs but I went with the X3. This was taken about a 5 days after I got it home before I went nuts with mods.
    45C088DE-064C-48C4-A6D4-E44978DF676D.png

I’d give the Honda Talon a serious look. I’ve used a Honda Pioneer 1000 for 3 years. I love it. Rock solid reliable. Mine is used for hunting in MS swamps, I.e. lots of deep mud and water. The only thing it’s needed was a front CV boot that caught a huge stick just right. It was an easy fix. I don’t have a need for the sport SxS, but if I did, I’d get a Talon for sure.

Reactions: waveslayer
    What mods should I look at?

As far as the Talon, if this was a hunting rig, I'd go Talon all the way.. I'm a Honda guy. They last forever

We just picked it up tonight. Getting a front windshield on it and a few things