• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can an aging barrel blow primers?

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I have a rifle-ammo combination that "never" used to blow out primers ... it's a 6.5-CM LWRCI REPR shooting Hornady 140gr American Gunner cartridges. Shot the combination for "years" and never blew a primer. Now the same rifle ... which BTW is showing signs it needs to be replaced ... is blowing primers in this factory ammo about 10% of the time.

Is this a "thing" ... old barrel - blown primers ... or should I be looking elsewhere?

BTW ... this doesn't happen with my handloads ... only the factory ammo (that shot great for years).

Generally as the barrel starts going away you’ll get loss of speed and pressure.

As above check for carbon , 6.5 barrels can really get cruddy fast.
    95% chance it’s carbon.

I’d also check boltface and firing pin as mentioned.

Reactions: Dot3
    UPDATE ... talked to LWRCI and they gave me an expected lifespan on that barrel (2,500 rounds) that I've definitely blown past. They've got a re-barrel service that's very competitively priced ... all in only about 10% more than if I tried to find the Proof Research barrel and do it myself. I've started the RMA to return this to the mother-ship for a new barrel.

Have you checked the bullet pull on the ammo? Not likely but the bullets could be cold welded in the necks.