• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can anybody help me find this

Hammerdown45

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2011
Hi everybody I am new to this site and it is really helpful but I cant find the answer to my question. I am looking for a .22 rifle that I will use to walk around the property, small game hunting, and just messing around shooting things with. I would like a 10/22 but I want to upgrade the stock immediatly. My question was does anybody know where I can buy a 10/22 barreled action. I want the rifle minus the stock, I would like the normal ruger barrel and action not the bull barrel or anything. Cost is a major issue so I would like to keep this as cheap as possible.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Can anybody help me find this

Agreed, if money is an issue, your best bet is probably going to be to find a deal on a complete rifle. You can probably get a couple of bucks for the stock if you absolutely don't want it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hammerdown45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi everybody I am new to this site and it is really helpful but I cant find the answer to my question. I am looking for a .22 rifle that I will use to walk around the property, small game hunting, and just messing around shooting things with. I would like a 10/22 but I want to upgrade the stock immediatly. My question was does anybody know where I can buy a 10/22 barreled action. I want the rifle minus the stock, I would like the normal ruger barrel and action not the bull barrel or anything. Cost is a major issue so I would like to keep this as cheap as possible.
Thanks in advance for any help. </div></div>

Why the immediate need to ditch the OEM stock? Especially just for plinking? I've got an unmodified 10/22 that I've had since 1984 with a 4x fixed power on it that has killed more squirrels, 'coons, 'possums, and misc beer cans and bottles that I could begin to recollect. They do actually work as built.

try gunbroker and gunlist and gunsamerica too. but walmart or a local retailer or local gun show would be the best place.

Shoot I just got notified that these are back in stock at Able, hard to beat IMO, and the stock IS pretty darn good.

New rig probably has polymer trigger group though...Ruger thinks that's an improvement, I will say that it doesn't affect shootability, but I like metal if I can have it...anyway, check out this link:
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=86490

Or this one: http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=114993

These stocks are pretty solid, and look pretty good to IMO--no way I would pay $200 for a used one versus one of these.

easy to work on if you want to tweak too.....

OP, you'll spend more time just looking for the barreled action - that is if you can find only a barreled action for sale anywhere.

just buy it with the factory stock.

for what you are saying the use is, the only thing i can see as far as replacing the stock would be a folder for compactness, otherwise why replace it?

Used rack at the local gun dealer. It's pretty hard to wear out a .22. My favorite utility .22 is an older used Savage MKIIF that I picked up with a mounted scope for about $120 a decade or so back.

While I also have a very tricked out 10/22 and love it, I favor the MKIIF for your stated application. More economical with ammo, it helps teach better fire discipline and concentration on consistent accuracy, and very seldom has a cycling problem.

Greg

I'd keep an eye out for an older model w/a metal trigger guard. The last one I bought was on GB, came w/a cheap scope and two mags for $130 shipped. Ruger only made about a metric shit ton so good deals are pretty easy to find.

IIRC they also made a carbine model with a 16.5" barrel as opposed to the std. 18.5. The second link you posted is the 22", granted it's still not a heavy rifle but that would be heavier then a std. if you carried it around a lot. If you plan on using a folding stock, I think I read somewhere the shorter barrel doesn't meet minimum oal in some states.

Tactical Solution and KIDD both sell a barreled actions, don't think that is what your after though. So I would recommend getting a new one then selling off the unused bits.