• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can anyone figure out this problem eith CAT D3?

scotty2hotty

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2017
It appears that no mechanic in my area can figure out this problem? How would I go about repairing? Fluid sprays out when I move the dozer right to left. Apparently no one has ever encountered this problem before.

Attachments

• 594EF2EB-7EC1-4B21-AC7B-0A193E2BDD22.jpeg
    594EF2EB-7EC1-4B21-AC7B-0A193E2BDD22.jpeg
    764.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 6165C578-54F1-42EA-8E81-A0B8296CA3C4.jpeg
    6165C578-54F1-42EA-8E81-A0B8296CA3C4.jpeg
    858.5 KB · Views: 262
It's referred to as "The NASCAR leak."

It only appears when you turn left. 🤪

Seriously though if it only leaks when you turn left, get a hydraulic schematic and give it a look. Should be very simple to troubleshoot.

Repair might be another issue.

yea the repair part is what is confusing i might have to take off whole cab?

Is the place its leaking from possibly a cap or plug? Looks kind of like it in the image. Hard to tell though.
If it is, maybe it's just a bad o-ring.

Reactions: hollowoutadime
It looks like an older machine but without knowing the age and drivetrain I will recommend beginning by determining if it happens when you push the clutch to drift left or when you get into the brakes to turn left. Related but different systems, both a pain to get to.

Edit: After looking at the photo again and reading n2's post, did you break off a zerk?

Thank you,
MrSmith

Reactions: Snuby642
It appears that no mechanic in my area can figure out this problem? How would I go about repairing? Fluid sprays out when I move the dozer right to left. Apparently no one has ever encountered this problem before.
Second pic looks like an oil level plug for the final drive. Looks like there is a hole in the center. If it’s squirting oil out of there then you more then likely have seals bad on the pump that drives the final drive.

I think it is too high to be the high level check plug. It probably is a vent.... Take an easy out and remove the piece that is broken off.

Not seeing a vent in final drive housing

c220787.png

Could just be a plug.

CAT_D3-dozer-trans-w-torq-converter_Transmission-Assembly_1338621_1_15388_7.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to me like that plug is cut to have a 1/2 drive socket inserted for removal like most final drive checks or fills. Have you taken that plug out? Could be as simple as an o ring that has gone out beind the plug face.

Hi,

I will get you guys all the info tomorrow. I looks to me like it is rusted. I can take more pictures.

On a 3 there is usually no maintenance. Keep the tracks adjusted, grease, and oil. They will run forever. However its pretty time consuming taking in a project more than landscaping with an old 3.

Reactions: Eli17L
Here is a video on a D6. checking the steering clutch pressure. If you read the explanation they are tying in the hose for the gauge to the port on top of the bevel gear case..... That may be where you are loosing pressure and as a result your machine won't turn in one direction.

Have you asked folks in CAT D3 forums?
1) This is a precision rifle and shooter forum
2) You can get REAL good info about accurate rifles, how to build them and shoot them here
3)You can get a HUGE PILE OF SHIT about other subject matter
4) I can guarantee you that there is a forum dedicated to CAT C3a and another for CAT C3b, etc
5) I can double dog dare (guarantee) that the info you get on that forum will be far more useful.

By the way....
Anyone here know anything about Samsung refrigerators?
How about Panasonic TV's?
Anthem receivers?
Paradigm speakers?
Fucking Jeeps?

By the way....
Anyone here know anything about Samsung refrigerators?
How about Panasonic TV's?
Anthem receivers?
Paradigm speakers?
Fucking Jeeps?
Surprisingly, I know quite a bit about all of the above.
Samsung fridges are usually pretty bombproof, not much fails.
Panasonic TV's are for shit, the tuners boards drop like flies.
Anthem receivers.....seriously ? Drop it into the round file and walk away.
Paradigm speakers, the ones with the clearish poly cone drivers, the yellow kevlar drivers, or the black aluminum cones ? The older clearish poly cones sounded best IMHO.
Jeep-Heep....yea, Renix rules right ? (only someone very well versed in Heeps knows this one).

Reactions: Eli17L
Quit being a damn poor and cash out a new one.

Paradigm speakers, the ones with the clearish poly cone drivers, the yellow kevlar drivers, or the black aluminum cones ? The older clearish poly cones sounded best IMHO.
Vinyl, NOS vacuum tubes and horn speakers.

You'll never look back.

Reactions: philly1010
On a 3 there is usually no maintenance. Keep the tracks adjusted, grease, and oil. They will run forever. However its pretty time consuming taking in a project more than landscaping with an old 3.
Nice. Suggested years?
Preferably diesel and not steam but budget dictates an older model.

• Haha
Reactions: Charger442
Anything after a cable dozer and before electronics. A case 450G is also a fantastic little dozer they are pretty bullet proof and cheaper than a 3.

Have you thought about taking the plug out and seeing if the compartment is over full? If it is what type of lube is it full of, should be gear lube I believe. Is the o-ring on that plug in good condition or is it missing?

It sounds like you might have an issue with the seal between the steering clutch compartment and the final drive. Not sure why it would leak at the plug and not at the duo cone seal area unless the plug o-ring is gone.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Case drain leak? Possibly a stopped up screen hidden in a return line? I've seen this on Bobcat hydrostatic equipment.

Surprisingly, I know quite a bit about all of the above.
Samsung fridges are usually pretty bombproof, not much fails.
Panasonic TV's are for shit, the tuners boards drop like flies.
Jeep-Heep....yea, Renix rules right ? (only someone very well versed in Heeps knows this one).

Samsung refrigerators suck ass. Worst POS I ever wasted money on.

Reactions: Aftermath
Anything after a cable dozer and before electronics. A case 450G is also a fantastic little dozer they are pretty bullet proof and cheaper than a 3.
LOL first and last dozer I drove 40+ years ago was a old D9 with cables that I volunteered to operate and I kept dropping the blade. I was put back on coyote shooting detail after that and left in the hills. Damn thing had a little engine that started the big one?