• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can anyone help me with this Sporterized Mauser?

Jellybean18

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2019
Got this at a local store for $330 out the door. Really didn't know much about it, but I figured I couldn't really go wrong.

What I know:
This is a sporterized Guatemalan VZ24. The stock is a Fajen and the barrel and bolt are both aftermarket. The barrel has no markings at all, save the 7x57 marking. The bolt has a left side safety that locks the bolt in place when it's on (up). Also, the bolt release was swapped out. For some reason, the little thumb tab is on the right, flush against the receiver. This makes it harder to grip and pull out. I'd like to swap that if I can.

What I don't know and would love help with:
Who makes the barrel or the bolt assembly? There's a witness mark on the receiver and barrel, and it's misaligned. I've got a headspace gauge on the way to check it, but I'd really like to know if anyone recognizes this barrel.

What I really need help with is the bolt. I have no idea how to take it apart. From watching videos, it seems you're supposed to engage the safety first, but I can't. Engaging the safety locks the bolt down and I can't engage it when I've got the bolt back. Twisting the rear de-cocks the assembly and getting it cocked again was a chore.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated. Pictures: