• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can anyone ID the powder?

diderr

The Patch Guy
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
Gillette, Wyoming
datapatches.com
I pulled some Hornady Black 6mm creedmoor. It was cheap ammo and might just play around building a better version with all the same components (re-use)

Attachments

• 8D6588AC-1D18-4D9B-A55B-61091E532EDF.jpeg
    8D6588AC-1D18-4D9B-A55B-61091E532EDF.jpeg
    488.9 KB · Views: 75
BLC is too fast to be likely. Kinda looks like superformance to me.... or any other ball powder really.

It's likely not a cannister powder - It's a large batch OEM powder. Don't try to re-use it based on it looking similar to another commercial powder.

One could probably assume it's somewhere in the 4350 burn range. Either "mexican match" it with a similar weight 103-108 class bullet, or just shoot it as is because it's probably not worth the trouble to f with.

There are several possibilities but it's probably a St. Mark's powder and might be similar to StaBall 6.5 (based on weight) or Superperformance but I wouldn't bet on it. But as @TheOfficeT-Rex said I would not mess with trying to figure this one out. Regardless you have to work up the load from scratch anyway. The few times I've tried its been because the ammunition shot well and it turned out to be extruded powder which can sometimes be more identifiable.

Reactions: camocorvette