• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in Virginia?

Re: Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in Virginia?

www.spencerriflebarrels.com

Clay frequently shoots in Manassas (Fx Rod and Gun Club). You mat want to meet up with him and chat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clay Spencer.</div></div>
+1000

Make the drive and take it to Jared Joplin at Patriot.. Believe me its worth the time and gas money. Hes in North Georgia.

John Myer
Custom Gunsmithing
Boyce VA
540-837-2598

1/4 mile north of 50/340 intersection 10 miles East of Winchester in NW VA.

Top 6mmbr.com recommended gunsmith and gunmsith for this years IBS 1000 Yard shooter of the yr and National Champ, Danny Brooks, plus many other winning guns.

He is also a LR hunter and can build any type rifle with the best of them and better than most. He also does coating and cryo in house.

Clay Spencer is tops also and builds one of the best barrels around. Dark side SOF has been buying hundreds of them for years.

Bruce Baer is top notch builder of custom LR and BR guns mainly for many years and in S. PA. www.baercustomrifles.com. Also has some of the best laminated stocks around to include A5 models.

Billy Dale is good also. Come to the Fclass matches at Quantico and you will find shooters shooting all of their guns.

BH

BH

Re: Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in Virgin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCARSSR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good info for those of us here in the Commonwealth. </div></div>

To add to that there is a guy about ten minutes from my house. His name is Richard, and he has made some very good rifles. However, he doesn't do general gun smithing anymore. He just does custom rifles. He is located in Vinton, VA which is right beside of Roanoke.
http://richardscustomrifles.com/

Re: Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in Virgin

Real good info, I was wondering the same thing for when I have the cash for my re-barrel. Nice to see so many VA guys here.

+1 for John Myer. John H Brown Jr in McGaheysville is a top notch BR smith. Taugh me everything I know. I'll be building on a more full time basis soon. Where are you and what do you need?

John Brown is a ISB Hall of Famer and 'smith to Tony Boyer for years. Expect to wait a while though.

Montour County Custom Rifles in Danville, PA
www.mcrifles.com
Give me a call I'd be glad to get you set up, 20 years of long range hunting and target experience.

I'm another happy customer of CLAY SPENCER. Clay built me an accurate rifle in the time quoted. The machine work is flawless.

Clay Spencer hands down.Period!

Clay Spencer without a doubt. He installed one of his barrels on my 700 in 6.5 Lapua. The work is amazing. .25 out of the box without trying. Only thing is. Get all your parts and bring them to him. The stock is going to be the hump in the road. He may have one in stock but don't count on getting exactly what you want. Another thing, if you want the barrel threaded have the can in hand. Clay's threads are as near perfect as possible. The AAC can's weren't.

www.spencerriflebarrels.com

He's not cheap but you won't be back except to get another one.

I used Sandy Garrett at Northern Virginia Gun Works. His shop is in Springfield, VA at 7518 Fullerton Road. He bedded my rifle and worked the trigger. He did solid work and knows rifles and pistols inside and out. Sandy can be a bit cranky and he doesn't have a quick turnaround but I will have him do more work on my rifle in the future, to include a match grade barrel and blueprinting the action. His phone number is 703-644-6504.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sandy can be a bit cranky and he doesn't have a quick turnaround </div></div>

I used him for one pistol build and besides the above he did not use the parts I provided nor follow the written work order. I wouldn't use him again if he was the only gunsmith within 500 miles.

Ed Harren (DocEd here on the boards) does great rifle work. He did my barrel. He is Ijamsville Md. Not too far a drive from Reston.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sandy can be a bit cranky and he doesn't have a quick turnaround </div></div>

I used him for one pistol build and besides the above he did not use the parts I provided nor follow the written work order. I wouldn't use him again if he was the only gunsmith within 500 miles. </div></div>
He had a rifle of mine for over 2 years, never completed the work, and wanted to charge me storage!
supernt clear your pm's.

Master Gunsmith, Drew, at W.A.R Rifles (www.warriflesonline.com) in Manassas, VA. Drew specializes in custom Class 3 weapons and full gunsmithing services for unique clients. Drew has done 'first-rate' work for me in the past. Professional, high-quality service, cost effective, and superb customer service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMOK!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Master Gunsmith, Drew, at W.A.R Rifles (www.warriflesonline.com) in Manassas, VA. Drew specializes in custom Class 3 weapons and full gunsmithing services for unique clients. Drew has done 'first-rate' work for me in the past. Professional, high-quality service, cost effective, and superb customer service. </div></div>
Great team of guys, very honest and reliable!

I will also say W.A.R. Rifles in Manassas. Drew and Darren do great work. They did a bunch of smaller work on some of my precision rifles, and after i felt comfortable enough, last month I dropped off my 300WM for them to true/blue, install my new Krieger barrel and do a Cerakote job on it. Their prices are fair, turn around time is good. You can see their work at the Nations Gun Show (they have a table usually up front near the door).

I highly recommend WAR Rifles

This thread is very old but most of the info is up to date. I used Billy Dale to build a custom Stiller TAC 30 308. His chambering work is top notch. 1 week turn around. Really knows his stuff.

Mark Hostetter - Precision Firearms
i think hes in west virginia

Vestal's gunsmithing and custom rifles in Abingdon (near Bristol) built my 338 Lapua and 408 CheyTac. They do excellent work. They are also well known for their custom hunting rifles.

Wanted to dust this thread off since it had been a while...I am also in Northern Va and am looking for good smiths in the area, especially folks who work on Savage actions. I have a 10 and while I one day would like a custom gun for now I want to get all I can out of the one I have. Any suggestions welcome.

Jeff Walker, Walker Custom Rifles, Culpeper VA...
Shawn Burkholder, Hawk Hill Custom, Verona VA...

Both guys are continuing the strong tradition of precision firearms smithing in the Commonwealth. Jeff has a benchrest background and is a nationally ranked benchrest competitor. Shawn does firearms machining of all sorts, including rifling some of the best barrels anywhere.