• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can Cerakote be applied on an AI?

Sniperstud

Luckyshot
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Nashville, TN
I posted this question in bolt action rifles, and was told I might get a better answer here. I've got an AX308 that I'm selling to a friend. I've been using it as a duty weapon and it has developed a little character along the way. He asked me if the cerakote could be redone, and come to think of it I have never seen that discussed. Search results were inconclusive, so has anyone ever tried this, or know if an AX can be cerakoted without separating the bonded assemblies, or damaging the bonding agent? The rifle still shoots great, so don't really want to play roulette by divorcing the action and butt from the chassis. He might have to learn to love the look, or rattle can it.

I would shoot an email to AI for a definitive answer.

but you can low temp cure Cerakote.

cerakote can be cured at 150* for 2 hrs.....which would surprise me if that low temp would damage the adhesive bond

AINA advised me against any heat on an AW I did for a guy a couple years ago. Went with C-series. In hind sight a 2hr at 150* should be no problem at all but suspect AINA wanted no liability.

It does make sense that cerakote applied by a third party, even if it could be done safely, would void the warranty. I would think the only exception to that might be MHSA. I appreciate all the replies. I think I’ll tell him to call Mile High and decide based on their advice.