• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Can Chaps, Scope Chaps Suppressor Cover

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Scope Chaps now has a lovely slim-style suppressor cover.

image.jpeg

The cover is unique that it doesn't use the felt style heat wrap, but a lighter, sticky style material that grips the suppressor.

image.jpeg

Super nice tight fit

image.jpeg

You want to measure and give proper dimensions for the suppressor to fit nicely and snugly.

image.jpeg

Head over to the Scope Chaps website, and check out the Can Chaps

Light, sticky material sounds like the one I got with my Silencer Central can. I wonder how similar they’ll be.

Interesting... What's the internal temp rating? I typically use the Rifles Only HAD, which has a 3,000ºF internal rating.

Interesting... What's the internal temp rating? I typically use the Rifles Only HAD, which has a 3,000ºF internal rating.
    Internal temp ratings are a gimmick in nylon covers IMO. Our inner material is rated to like 2.5k degrees but it’s irrelevant because the nylon will be fried long before you reach that temp. What matters is how well you can seal the heat out and keep it away from the nylon, which will be parallel to how well it will mitigate mirage. How well the inner layer is sealed from the outer layer and how well it’s insulated in between is much more important than internal temp rating when it comes to precision rifle covers.

Love the covers above.

Just curious why makers of these types of suppressor covers don’t use old-fashioned canvas? Suppressed stens were thin tube and get hot enough to boil tea on… but canvas covers never burned off.

Modern take on this would be canvas with spun ceramic sheet inside. No nylon to melt…

Just wondering. I might have to make one in canvas and ceramic and see how it does.

Sirhr

What is the canvas heat rating, cans get much much hotter than barrels

I read a Proof at 175 and the Can at the same time was 385, the heat rating on the material needs to be up there, probably around 800 on the bottom end, they go higher for semi autos, but I don't know the numbers without asking or looking so I might be a off a bit, on the minimum rating they use, but I thought I remembered 800

Reactions: sirhrmechanic

I read a Proof at 175 and the Can at the same time was 385, the heat rating on the material needs to be up there, probably around 800 on the bottom end, they go higher for semi autos, but I don't know the numbers without asking or looking so I might be a off a bit, on the minimum rating they use, but I thought I remembered 800
    82725B6D-162D-4CA8-9F95-602605FB5593.jpeg

Sorry, forgot the picture. This is from suppressed Sten Mk IIs and a Mk VI.

91C45F2F-D793-46A2-ACD6-8DA41F5317A1.jpeg

A thirty round mag or two and these things are damn hot!

I use canvas gloves in the shop all the time, too. Heavy Duck. Holding welded parts, stuff for soldering and tinning. Nylon melts and the canvas may smoke a bit or get scorch marks. It never burns.

Just something I wondered as Folks were talking about melting nylon on suppressor covers.

Cheers, Sirhr

PS… finest WW2 technology. Nothing high-tech about it. No asbestos liner, either.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    If one looks at the print, the canvas is Right over the hottest spot. The later guns had perforated barrels and so jets of muzzle blast came out at 90 degrees of angle right onto the thin suppressor tube. These were integrally suppressed.

90A864BB-FFC6-4BB2-9A14-2B7613D0A016.jpeg

Still in the British inventory into the 1980’s, BTW.

Sirhr

Reactions: Bryan W M
    So did a little research…

Ignition Temp of untreated cotton cloth most canvas is cotton-based) is about 515F but some canvas can be as high as 760F especially if limited oxygen (like wrapped.). Can be treated with retardant solutions, too.

Ignition temp of different types of Nylon ranges between 600 and 700F.

Melting temp of nylon is 375-575F. Depending on type.

Canvas does not melt.

This is a neat reference

Interesting that wool ignites at over 1000F.

Again, merely asking the question whether some “natural fiber” materials could be an option for suppressor Covers when melting nylon is messy and no fun.

And my numbers here may be way off in real world applications. It’s just an interesting area of thought experiment. I have some materials and may make myself one to try out.

Cheers, Sirhr

Reactions: DIBBS

Thats typical of the number the Ti can manufacturers want you to not exceed on titanium cans so that is probably a good number for a bottom end rating on a wrap

Heat/insulation/etc: How about barely touching the suppressor at all? I have a couple of the Modtac’s for bolt guns and by design just a few small points touch the can.

The only thing I don’t like is the little hex wrench to loosen a small bolt in order to remove it from the suppressor.

Too bad that’s not a thumbscrew or something instead. I suppose a thumbscrew can’t generate enough torque.

It really stays on. If the Modtac is attached and you grab it and really try to twist the suppressor off, the Modtac might slip a little bit and you might scratch your suppressor. That’s how strong the thing grips your can.

I did the above and it doesn’t bother me at all because…the suppressor is always under the Modtac lol.

But I do like that scope chaps idea.

Last edited:
    Only downside I see is losing the ability to (easily) pull back the suppressor cover between strings of fire. I do this to allow the suppressor to cool down between stages/practice. It's one of the reasons I like the wraps that secure off the rear (AG, for example).

With the canvas and holding the rifle and shooting odds are they used a glove too, which I am sure works 100%

The problem with a Mirage cover is you don't want the heat to escape, which the canvas temp ratings looks good to be honest I bet they would work with a bolt action no problem a semi might be too hot

But the canvas wrap might be worthy as there is probably someone who already makes it heat coated we can probably find it pretty easy

I mean there is a metric ton of materials out there we can use

Even we used this stuff at a Class and it worked great we wrapped and used tape to stick it and it worked

IMG_0270.JPG

This stuff worked great and is thin and light

Just ordered a pair of these for my Rugged 762 Surge and Razor.

Still just waiting for them to make a cover for my scope.

Reactions: Hennig
    Just grabbed one for my Nomad LT; if it works, I’ll order more for other cans. Really like the idea of a slim/light cover if it actually works.

I saw there’s a spot for a promo code. Didn’t use one this time, but if I’m gonna order several more, a break on the pricing would be nice. Anyone here know if they have a code for SH members?

I’ll also ping ‘em about a .mil discount.

Reactions: gebhardt02
    It's actually my favorite cover I've owned (among AG, Coletac, etc). From my previous post, I was concerned about quick removal to cool down the can, but it's actually quite easy.

The form factor and quality is better than I anticipated. @gebhardt02 hit it out of the park with this one.

Reactions: gebhardt02
    I missed this thread back in February and to be honest was a little concerned about opening a thread about Frank's can chaps…😁

On topic, I’ll soon hopefully be in a position to need a couple more suppressor mirage covers and may check these out. Though frankly the AG covers I’ve been using forever and many thousands of rounds have never let me down.

Just received my can chap. Fit and finish was excellent. I really like how there is no way it will slide even without tightening the straps much it really grips the can. If it works like it should I doubt I will be buying anymore thick heavy suppressor covers in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_1859.jpeg
      IMG_1859.jpeg
      563.1 KB · Views: 73
    • IMG_1860.jpeg
      IMG_1860.jpeg
      364.5 KB · Views: 76
    • IMG_1861.jpeg
      IMG_1861.jpeg
      433.3 KB · Views: 73
    Picked up another cover during the bf sale. I’m really liking these covers. The first one measured too short to cover the whole can on the kgm 30 which was my mistake not theirs. But actually fit my nomad ti perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_1962.jpeg
      IMG_1962.jpeg
      622 KB · Views: 70
    • IMG_1963.jpeg
      IMG_1963.jpeg
      331.3 KB · Views: 63
    • IMG_1960.jpeg
      IMG_1960.jpeg
      636.2 KB · Views: 63
    I bought a couple of these and am happy with them.

Now if I could just quit moving them around and remember which suppressor each firearms is sighted in with. :unsure:

I bought a couple of these and am happy with them.

Now if I could just quit moving them around and remember which suppressor each firearms is sighted in with. :unsure:
    The struggle is real. 🤣

Put a piece of blue tape on the stock with the pertinent info.

Reactions: DIBBS
    Bumping this, not sure if there have been other threads. Will these still eliminate mirage on strings of fire of 10-15 on titanium cans? I need a few covers and these look nice.

Bumping this, not sure if there have been other threads. Will these still eliminate mirage on strings of fire of 10-15 on titanium cans? I need a few covers and these look nice.
    In my experience, yes it does (Maverick and TBAC cans). I have done plenty of 20-30 rounds strings on nearly dead barrels (for practice) and no mirage.

Reactions: Undrgrndprdcts
    Also do you guys have any pics of the colors? They don't really show any of them, other than the multicam on this page.

I run pretty fast and have gone 30+ count strings and mine have all done well on my TBAC cans mitigating or eliminating mirage from the can. I still sometimes get a little from barrel unless I am running my barrel bands

Reactions: Undrgrndprdcts
    Purchased one of these recently and used it in anger for the first time yesterday. Completely solved my mirage issues with a titanium can and the cover stayed cool enough to hold continuously. Granted not a high round count but I was impressed.
    -Ordered on February 25 and had it by March 2nd.
    -Super slim and light with IMO, great aesthetics. Very clean looking.
    -Was worried the metal buckles would get hot, not the case.
    -Not even a hint of mirage. I usually get mirage after 4-5 rounds.
    -Didn't budge even a millimeter when shooting and stayed on the can.
    -Was easy to get the suppressor on and off (Huxwrx HUB QD mount) by just gripping the suppressor with my hand. Cover didn't rotate.
    -Remains cool enough to grab/grip. Feels warm but nowhere close to hot.
    -Affordable with lots of cover color choices.

There are two negatives. First, there's a gap when wrapped around my Diligent Defense Enticer S. Probably 1/4 of an inch. I did include accurate measurements for the can. I managed to slightly burn my hand on that exposed gap. Felt it for the rest of the range session. You only touch a hot pan once so I was more careful moving forward. Second, they don't make these for hard use, gas guns. Please make something similar even if it's a bit bulkier.

If you're using some sort of a QD mount, hub or otherwise, I would not include the length of the mount. I didn't as it's necessary to turn the locking collar to get the suppressor on and off. Initially I was concerned it wouldn't allow me to cinch the rear drawstring and keep the cover from slipping. It was not a valid concern after using it. My Cole-Tac was slipping on the same suppressor within a few rounds but my inner tube has tears in it so most likely not helping the situation. Still, that cover has never stayed on and I've since modified it with a kevlar cord. Not ideal. The Can Chap is an excellent product!

Purchased one of these recently and used it in anger for the first time yesterday. Completely solved my mirage issues with a titanium can and the cover stayed cool enough to hold continuously. Granted not a high round count but I was impressed.
    -Was easy to get the suppressor on and off (Huxwrx HUB QD mount) by just gripping the suppressor with my hand. Cover didn't rotate.

There are two negatives. First, there's a gap when wrapped around my Diligent Defense Enticer S. Probably 1/4 of an inch. I did include accurate measurements for the can. I managed to slightly burn my hand on that exposed gap. Felt it for the rest of the range session. You only touch a hot pan once so I was more careful moving forward. Second, they don't make these for hard use, gas guns. Please make something similar even if it's a bit bulkier.

If you're using some sort of a QD mount, hub or otherwise, I would not include the length of the mount. I didn't as it's necessary to turn the locking collar to get the suppressor on and off. Initially I was concerned it wouldn't allow me to cinch the rear drawstring and keep the cover from slipping. It was not a valid concern after using it. My Cole-Tac was slipping on the same suppressor within a few rounds but my inner tube has tears in it so most likely not helping the situation. Still, that cover has never stayed on and I've since modified it with a kevlar cord. Not ideal. The Can Chap is an excellent product!
    I agree it’s an excellent product for precision rifle cans. I just got back from training class at RO and I never saw any mirage from my can, nor did it slip or move at all.

For those who own these covers, I assume it doesn’t slip when sliding the gun+attached suppressor into your case?

Just as an update I love mine and got zero slippage and zero mirage at the last prs match I shot with it. I'm actually amazed at how well it performed.

Reactions: K80/6.5
    My original didn’t slip, but my replacement does despite tightening it down with pliers. I also don’t have the same experience regarding it not getting hot on my .300 PRC. Buckles definitely get shit hot.

Buckles definitely get shit hot.

This.

I don’t know if it’s my firing schedule or the Florida heat, but I can’t touch any part of mine after a 10 round stage. The cover is hot and the buckles are magma.

But it never moves and keeps mirage down so does what it says on the tin.

Does anyone make a suppressor cover that you’re able to soak with water to mitigate heat and enhance dispersion?

This.

I don’t know if it’s my firing schedule or the Florida heat, but I can’t touch any part of mine after a 10 round stage. The cover is hot and the buckles are magma.

But it never moves and keeps mirage down so does what it says on the tin.

The buckles getting hot definitely limits the functionality of such a product. I was considering purchasing one to try, but that makes me hesitant.

I'm in AZ, so if it's bad in FL, it's only going to be worse here.

There has to be a better attachment system for these products then simple laces or buckles.

There has to be a better attachment system for these products then simple laces or buckles.

I'm not sure how you'd get there without going to a rigid cover that bolts on, which sounds way less convenient. I know someone makes one, but the less allen keys I need to pull out, the better.

For me, any of the attachment systems are fine. I put it on, check zero, check the can/cover, then shoot the rest of the day and I don't touch it until I'm finished. I'm not one to pull it back after every stage, so the extra 10 minutes leaving the rifle uncased to cool as I pack up doesn't affect me too much. I've never had a coverslip more than a couple mm.

The only one that really irks me is the libertys defense metal wire. Not because it doesn't work (It works exceedingly well), but because you need fucking gloves and pliers to get it on the first couple times.

Reactions: lash and kthomas

You going to send it back requesting it be re-made to "correct" dimensions? Because of the gap.

You going to send it back requesting it be re-made to "correct" dimensions? Because of the gap.

• Installation​

The end of the Can Chap with the little bit of red high temperature rated material is the "front" and the end with the cordura folded over is the "back" of the product.
      Follow the instructions provided with the product and ensure your firearm is unloaded and safe prior to installing the Can Chap. Installation onto your suppressor is best accomplished with the suppressor already on the barrel so you know where the bottom is oriented.

A small air gap may be present down the length of the Can Chap when fully installed. This is a small manufacturing issue due to how these are made. We do our best to make the long edges meet entirely but a minor difference in sewing may leave a small air gap. The function of the Can Chap is not affected.

Reactions: lash and kthomas
    • Installation​

The end of the Can Chap with the little bit of red high temperature rated material is the "front" and the end with the cordura folded over is the "back" of the product.
      Follow the instructions provided with the product and ensure your firearm is unloaded and safe prior to installing the Can Chap. Installation onto your suppressor is best accomplished with the suppressor already on the barrel so you know where the bottom is oriented.

A small air gap may be present down the length of the Can Chap when fully installed. This is a small manufacturing issue due to how these are made. We do our best to make the long edges meet entirely but a minor difference in sewing may leave a small air gap. The function of the Can Chap is not affected.

Yup. Still, he could try to get a replacement. It would not hurt to try. It's his skin in the game. They might do it if he tells them he got burned by it. Maybe they mean some gap smaller than 1/4"?