• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Can Grandad still hang with Junior? CNVD-T versus CRATOS.

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    Welp, with due respect to my fellow forum buds who I beat-out in the PX for this CNVD-T, I present to you the latest thoroughbred added to the stables at Horta Acres — the gracefully aging L3 CNVD-T:

6F601FEA-F056-4F42-BDF0-F141F58281E2.jpeg

424F2871-B7C4-441B-919F-56CD373B094C.jpeg

1079D831-F1C7-43A3-896B-26D565C0D941.jpeg

388CC159-DB63-4358-A0F6-F51F9DDDC30C.jpeg

You can clearly see and feel the pedigree of the CNVD-T imparted to Junior (CRATOS). The LWTS sits between the two, but it is appreciably larger than either. You can see the three L3 stallions sandwiched between the superlative BAE/Trijicon units (SkeetIR-x and UTC-x). The CRATOS is noticeably smaller and weighs about 4 ouces less than than good ol’ PopPop. Also, the CRATOS objective is larger while being smaller and lighter overall.

Both Gramps and Junior have 640x480 OLED displays, but the Old Timer has a 320x240 sensor. If I had to guess, the CNVD-T and the MTM/PAS-23 share the same sensor and screen, but in different packages with different mission envelopes. The MTM and Gramps present a very similar view TTL.

My particular unit is a L3 dealer demo unit that was originally manufactured in OCT 2010! :eek:

While the MTM is a power-hungry Cookie Monster that likes to suck down a fresh set of two SF CR123A’s in 2 hours flat, the CNVD-T sips power from 4 lithium AA’s that will get you 8 full hours of runtime.

When it comes down to brass tacks, however — image performance, practical detection range, etc — Gramps gets left behind. PopPop is racing in his walker while Junior is a Top Fuel dragster. Where the rubber meets the road, the CRATOS is one giant leap for Thermalkind, while the CNVD-T is a small hop by comparison.

The SkeetIR-x is still the image quality king of commercially available “Unity” (true 1x magnification) thermals. Image-wise and feature-wise, the CRATOS takes the Silver Medal and looks up to the SkeetIR standing on the Gold Medal podium — but not by much!

For the same price, I’d take the Skeet 10 out of 10 times — again, personally. Skeet can be handheld, weapon mounted (dedicated), used as a clip-on, and — my favorite feature — is made to be helmet mounted! That ticks just about every box and it does almost all of them EXCEPTIONALLY well. The CRATOS, on the other hand, is primarily designed to be weapon-mounted as either a dedicated or clip-on scope. As a clip-on, it is a hair superior to the SkeetIR, but that’s the only category where I’d give the win to the CRATOS. Both Junior and Skeet have IR lasers, but Skeet has two more party pieces up its sleeve — and both are potentially huge advantages: 1) Skeet has full TracIR support, which CRATOS lacks entirely and 2) Skeet can run on external power, and CRATOS **can’t** — even if you manage to snag the mystical CRATOS split cable! To top it all off, Skeet is MUCH lighter and smaller than CRATOS, so as a package, Skeet has zero peers (not even the forthcoming Nox can compete). The only challenger — the Pixels on Target Voodoo S — might be a real challenger, but we may never see it come to market.

Back to the CNVD-T... just like the MTM, it was the Big Swinging Dick “back in the day” and, for something that rolled off the assembly line literally a decade ago, it still performs quite admirably. For the $5K I paid for the full, like-new kit, that’s about what I think it’s worth, but no more. Any modern clip-on, from a pure image-only perspectice, will outperform the CNVD-T. If you have experience with the MTM, you know exactly what the view through Gramps looks like. But compared to his grandson — the CRATOS — Junior runs image circles around Gramps, although I think Pops still holds his head high in the Geritol Thermals.

Last edited:
    Thought you bought a T3, so I’m pretty disappointed now...

Please resolve this ASAP.
    Can somebody educate me as to the differences between the CNVD-T and T3 (I assume there was a T2 as well.). For historical reference, not because I want one.

Also, L3 really has a much better design team than their competitors. Every one of their units is pretty perfect as far as form goes.

Reactions: mikefraz
    Can somebody educate me as to the differences between the CNVD-T and T3 (I assume there was a T2 as well.). For historical reference, not because I want one.

Also, L3 really has a much better design team than their competitors. Every one of their units is pretty perfect as far as form goes.

T3 is the LR unit. 100mm objective.

Interesting to view the NV / Thermal community has come so far so fast. The latest gear offered to the civilian sector is straight up impressive. Pricy you better believe it. Some folks can roll with the annual 6 figure income crowd. Some make do with what they can justify as disposable income. Others teeter on the fence... do I go for it. A word of caution to those of you on that fence. Do your research. This shooting in the dark of night can be done without having to go into deep. I have learned so much from Wig & KSE. My old school pvs-30, Zeus & Luna IR are still reeking havoc on the GA hogs. With that being said my next upgrade will be a thermal clip on.

R/
    Constant
    Bearing
    Decreasing
    Range.

Reactions: TheHorta
    Interesting to view the NV / Thermal community has come so far so fast. The latest gear offered to the civilian sector is straight up impressive. Pricy you better believe it. Some folks can roll with the annual 6 figure income crowd. Some make do with what they can justify as disposable income. Others teeter on the fence... do I go for it. A word of caution to those of you on that fence. Do your research. This shooting in the dark of night can be done without having to go into deep. I have learned so much from Wig & KSE. My old school pvs-30, Zeus & Luna IR are still reeking havoc on the GA hogs. With that being said my next upgrade will be a thermal clip on.

R/
    Constant
    Bearing
    Decreasing
    Range.

Tons of really good performing commercial stuff out there with much more coming down the pipe, especially if you’re not allergic to Chinesium.

Great review as always boss. Love my CNVD-T because its been mounted sighted and on a rifle that is just about as old as it is. For some it can still be the big swinging dick being that it is built like a brick shit house. My favorites are still the UTC-xii and the BAE UTM and on my other rifle LWTS (mil version smaller) ....but because of limited funds...that's where the party ends. Don't think I'll do any more milspec units being that the Trijicon REAP-IR for what it is, has shown that commercial units are catching up rather quick. Your reviews on the YOTE and Steiner / CHinesium models have gotten me perplexed as to what I'll do next. Take care and God Bless brothers....