• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can I cut my Safariland holster to fit a red dot without messing it up? Yes you can.

theLBC

Shiftless
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2019
    i have been shooting handguns for over 30 years, and like many, i prefer safariland holsters - primarily because i like the retention systems offered.
    also like many, i have been frustrated at times when they don't make a model for my specific handgun configuration.

in particular, holsters with active retention that work with red dot equipped pistols can be hard to find, depending on what you are running.

personally, i prefer iron sights after decades of presenting them to my eyes, but having gotten older, i broke down and got RX slides for my sig sauer p226 and p229 but was having problems finding holsters for them (other than shorties with passive retention).

one obvious reason for this is that the ALS retention system runs along the top of the holster.
    the SLS (hood) retention seemed like an option, although i do prefer ALS, so i decided to see what kind of results i could get if i cut one up to fit the romeo.

long story short (too late?) it is possible to cut one of these (with the felt lining) without fucking it up.
    the felt is well attached and didn't get jacked up or peel away from the inside of the holster.

i used a dremel and the thinnest cutting disk i had. note that the plastic will melt if you're too slow.
    i can clean it up when i have more time, but i think you get the idea that you can do a decent job.
    i was lazy and didn't even take it apart first, which would have made it even easier, but i have a pen tool for the dremel so it wasn't bad even so.

safcutCapture.JPG

EB6C5F31-1FBB-4F57-A053-70BD6D259DF3.jpeg
    This is the reason I would never carry a holster that I have manipulated. I responded to this a couple of weeks ago. If this holster failed as is, then you may put yourself and others in a dangerous situation. In no way am I trying to judge you or put you down. I think the idea that jist because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

I’ve picked up both of my Safariland RDS holsters from RDR gear he stocks a ton of them and gets them in all the time. I wouldn’t cut down a level 3 holster, and it’s it’s for duty use I wouldn’t risk cutting a level 2 either, for range use maybe.

View attachment 7496820This is the reason I would never carry a holster that I have manipulated. I responded to this a couple of weeks ago. If this holster failed as is, then you may put yourself and others in a dangerous situation. In no way am I trying to judge you or put you down. I think the idea that jist because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
    in this case, it is barely possible to touch the trigger with the very tip of my pinky, and would be impossible to pull the 10lb+ DA trigger on a sig through the opening, although i could fish a wire hanger in there...

I’ve picked up both of my Safariland RDS holsters from RDR gear he stocks a ton of them and gets them in all the time. I wouldn’t cut down a level 3 holster, and it’s it’s for duty use I wouldn’t risk cutting a level 2 either, for range use maybe.
    this is only for camping and zombies. :)

• Haha
    Reactions: Kamerad
    in this case, it is barely possible to touch the trigger with the very tip of my pinky, and would be impossible to pull the 10lb+ DA trigger on a sig through the opening, although i could fish a wire hanger in there...
    But yet it happened. And I saw it happen.

But yet it happened. And I saw it happen.
    with my gun and holster?
    i am not saying it didn't happen, but they have redesigned some of them, and of course i would never carry a striker fired pistol.

with my gun and holster?
    I’m not here to argue, nor do I really care. All I am saying is that if you start cutting up your holster or manipulate it, there is a potential for danger. I watched a suspect fight us and get his finger in the holster and crank off a round without even taking the gun out.

Do you want you want, but I hope the other people who read this, take a second and just ask themselves if it’s really worth it.
    I’m done.

Reactions: theLBC
    I’m not here to argue, nor do I really care. All I am saying is that if you start cutting up your holster or manipulate it, there is a potential for danger. I watched a suspect fight us and get his finger in the holster and crank off a round without even taking the gun out.

Do you want you want, but I hope the other people who read this, take a second and just ask themselves if it’s really worth it.
    I’m done.
    lol, vs a holster with no active retention?
    i cut the top, nowhere near the trigger, so i think you're confused anyway.
    if a bear or rattlesnake pulls the trigger, so be it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Kamerad
    From what I’ve seen and carried, just about all of the Safariland light bearing holsters have a gap large enough to shove a finger in...

IF one desires a optic mounted Sig P226 consider the Safariland GLS (Grip Lock Safety - which engages the trigger guard ) series that allows for the top of the holster to be shorter to accommodate the optic. Safariland lists at least 14 GLS models for the SigP226.

https://safariland.com/products/model-578-gls-pro-fit-holster-with-paddle-57800

I used the GLS series for a Sig P320 and S&W MP9 2.0 until their RDS holsters were available.
    Some may be interested in seeing how the Safariland ALS mechanism engages the breech margins to effect its retention; easy to understand how cutting the top of the holster defeats the mechanism.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 6.12.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 6.12.22 PM.png
    IMG_6520 copy.jpg
    Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0 PC Safariland RDS Thermolaminate Holster Level 3IMG_6784 copy.JPG
    Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0 PC Safariland RDS Thermolaminate Holster Level 3IMG_6787 copy.JPG
    Sig P320 VTAC Wilson Combat Grip GLS Safariland Drop Leg Rig Photos 2020IMG_5805 copy.jpg
    Sig P320 Safariland RDS 6390 FDE HolsterIMG_6886 copy.jpg
    Sig P320 Safariland RDS 6390 FDE HolsterIMG_6888 copy.jpg
    Sig P320 Safariland RDS Holster Safariland RDS Holster Sig P320IMG_6721 copy.jpg
    Sig P320 Safariland RDS Holster Safariland RDS Holster Sig P320IMG_6725 copy.jpg

Reactions: theLBC
    D
    i have been shooting handguns for over 30 years, and like many, i prefer safariland holsters - primarily because i like the retention systems offered.
    also like many, i have been frustrated at times when they don't make a model for my specific handgun configuration.

in particular, holsters with active retention that work with red dot equipped pistols can be hard to find, depending on what you are running.

personally, i prefer iron sights after decades of presenting them to my eyes, but having gotten older, i broke down and got RX slides for my sig sauer p226 and p229 but was having problems finding holsters for them (other than shorties with passive retention).

one obvious reason for this is that the ALS retention system runs along the top of the holster.
    the SLS (hood) retention seemed like an option, although i do prefer ALS, so i decided to see what kind of results i could get if i cut one up to fit the romeo.

long story short (too late?) it is possible to cut one of these (with the felt lining) without fucking it up.
    the felt is well attached and didn't get jacked up or peel away from the inside of the holster.

i used a dremel and the thinnest cutting disk i had. note that the plastic will melt if you're too slow.
    i can clean it up when i have more time, but i think you get the idea that you can do a decent job.
    i was lazy and didn't even take it apart first, which would have made it even easier, but i have a pen tool for the dremel so it wasn't bad even so.

View attachment 7496540
    did you cut down an SLS or ALS/SLS holster

D

did you cut down an SLS or ALS/SLS holster
    sls. the als mechanism runs along the top of the slide, so i wouldn't be able to cut one of those without ruining it.

sls. the als mechanism runs along the top of the slide, so i wouldn't be able to cut one of those without ruining it.
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. I read your post and figured it had to be SLS. Just picked up a used SLS holster and am going to try this myself!