• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can I dremel a feed ramp?

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    I know this sounds like bubba gunsmithing 101 but can I simply dremel the edges off on these feed ramps a bit. There sharp edges catch the bullet when feeding. If you close the bolt slow the round wont even chamber. Sometimes pushing the bullet into the casing when loading

So can I just open them up a touch knocking the corner down?

This is an upper purchased here a while back. So a parts gun essentially
    2A1B1F18-7899-436C-92CC-15FD1A33AA11.jpeg

The Dremel tools I have seen are not precision work quality.
    There are better ways to shape and polish.
    I’m all ears. What’s best. Without tearing apart preferably

Just to add this is an 11.5” sbr upper. Won’t see match grade anything though it if that matters. Just fmj and some bonded LE ammo

Reactions: Aftermath
    Jewelers files and/or wet-dry sandpaper wrapped on a dowel. Then a bore mop and section of cleaning rod chucked in a cordless with #600 or #800 lapping compound. It's really messy, so plug the bore and cover anything else that you don't want to clean. Flitz is great for polishing (1500-2000 grit), but doesn't really remove much material.

Thinking maybe initially with the dremel. I have some tips that I think will work good. Then hand file to decent. Then dremel with flitz on a polishing wheel

Ok

I haven’t messed with AR building. But have the stuff to do it. Time to learn I suppose

I mean... You could def do this just pulling the upper.

Pulling the barrel is also super easy if you didn't shim/loctite it in

I know this sounds like bubba gunsmithing 101 but can I simply dremel the edges off on these feed ramps a bit. There sharp edges catch the bullet when feeding. If you close the bolt slow the round wont even chamber. Sometimes pushing the bullet into the casing when loading

So can I just open them up a touch knocking the corner down?

This is an upper purchased here a while back. So a parts gun essentially
    View attachment 8030648
    Don’t use a dremel unless you are a brain surgeon with it. Use a Wooden dowel with a fine sand paper and some dykem.

also, you will need to disassemble the upper to maintain the correct pitch on the feed ramps.

Sounds good. I bought it here. No idea what holds the barrel on if it’s loctited or anything like that. I do have the vise, wrench and what not for doing these. Bought all the stuff years ago but just don’t shoot AR’s enough to have ever really got into full builds. Always bought factory or parts guns to mess with as I prefer my bolt guns

I’ll dig into it. The shop I shoot fclass for does a ton of AR work so anytime I’ve swapped gas blocks and what not we just did it there. So that’s an option as well. Just thought a dremel and 5 minutes may be enough to get it where it has to be

I’ve done muzzle devices, gas blocks, safeties, triggers, buffer swaps and all the basic furniture/trigger guard etc on these before. Just haven’t pulled barrels

Thanks guys

Sounds good. I bought it here. No idea what holds the barrel on if it’s loctited or anything like that. I do have the vise, wrench and what not for doing these. Bought all the stuff years ago but just don’t shoot AR’s enough to have ever really got into full builds. Always bought factory or parts guns to mess with as I prefer my bolt guns

I’ll dig into it. The shop I shoot fclass for does a ton of AR work so anytime I’ve swapped gas blocks and what not we just did it there. So that’s an option as well. Just thought a dremel and 5 minutes may be enough to get it where it has to be

I’ve done muzzle devices, gas blocks, safeties, triggers, buffer swaps and all the basic furniture/trigger guard etc on these before. Just haven’t pulled barrels

Thanks guys
    Basically.....
    1. Remove BCG
    2. Remove hand guard
    3. Loosen and remove gas block and tube
    4. Loosen barrel nut and pull the barrel out of the upper.

Yes, it's that simple. Imagine...if a USMC E1 can do it, pretty much any 6th grader can.

Reactions: hafejd30
    i would consider not using a dremel, which seems to be a dead horse being beat.

If you need to shape, get a file. Jewelers files work great, and make a just few passes. Don’t go ape shit.
    Then some sand paper to smooth. The dowel method people have mention works too.

Then if you want, maybe use the Dremel to do a light polish to finish.

If I’m pulling apart I’ll likely just hit by hand either way. Was hoping it was a job people have done with the gun together. Which is where the dremel seemed like a decent idea

I did something similar to my WASR 10. Had multiple sharp edges inside that would catch and mangle brass. Used a course rat tail file to cut the sharp edge back and then a really fine file to smooth/polish it some. Did it through the mag well. Works fine now.
    Just go easy. Like others have said, a dowl or 1/4 inch extension and sandpaper would work too.

Jewelers files and/or wet-dry sandpaper wrapped on a dowel. Then a bore mop and section of cleaning rod chucked in a cordless with #600 or #800 lapping compound. It's really messy, so plug the bore and cover anything else that you don't want to clean. Flitz is great for polishing (1500-2000 grit), but doesn't really remove much material.
    This above, also consider using Arkansas or India stones (also called oil stones). Stones are available in multiple shapes (round being a common shape), and probably real close in size to the diameter of the area of the feed ramp that needs polishing. They come in many grit sizes (stones are graded like sandpaper) from coarse for removing any burr or sharp edge through fine/ultra fine grits that would eliminte the need for any polishing with a dremel. Stones just need oil and a little elbow grease, no extra polishing compounds required, just plug the bore to keep the dirty oil out of it.

Last edited:
    You can most certainly use a dremel. I use the bullet shaped stones to very lightly knock the sharp edges off on the corners. And when I say lightly I mean just kiss them. The last thing you want to do is reshape the feed ramps and change the angle of them. Get a couple of the bullet shaped felt polishing tips and use metal polish on them to smooth everything out and shine it all up. I havedone this to every AR barrel I own and it makes a noticeable difference.
    PXL_20201212_195847650.jpg
    PXL_20201212_224217043.jpg

Just will make a comment about cross contamination.

Any grit based absrasive , sharpening stones, wet/dry paper, emery cloth, or polishing compound, etc
    Can (WILL) deposit fine abrasives residue, be it via dust or slurry, which you need to CLEAN out.

Since this work is adjacent to the chamber and thus the bore... not worth taking a risk on.

This is in addition to the (metal) chips, which are another concern but more obvious.
    IMHO having the barrel pulled will help alot in this regards.

Just will make a comment about cross contamination.

Any grit based absrasive , sharpening stones, wet/dry paper, emery cloth, or polishing compound, etc
    Can (WILL) deposit fine abrasives residue, be it via dust or slurry, which you need to CLEAN out.

Since this work is adjacent to the chamber and thus the bore... not worth taking a risk on.

This is in addition to the (metal) chips, which are another concern but more obvious.
    IMHO having the barrel pulled will help alot in this regards.
    Yeah its apparent to me now that pulling the barrel is the better option. So that is what I’ll be doing. Probably just start with hand filling and see what that gets accomplished

Thank you everyone for the info

Reactions: ma smith
    If I’m pulling apart I’ll likely just hit by hand either way. Was hoping it was a job people have done with the gun together. Which is where the dremel seemed like a decent idea
    Coat it with dykem and chamber some rounds, and lightly hit just the high points with lapping compund with a long wooden handled swab. or send it to D Wilson