• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes can i get a pic of a horus reticle at 22x-25x

offroadr1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2007
alabama, birmingham
im trying to decide on my next scope purchase. i know i want the horus reticle, but not sure how useful it will be at full power. im between USO 3.8x22sn3 of PH 5x25. just curious to see what the reticle will look like on 22or 25x. thanks for the help.

joey

Re: can i get a pic of a horus reticle at 22x-25x

At high magnifications, the field of view is going to be such that your ability to hold just using the reticle is limited.

However, it may be useful to bear in mind that you can use the elevation adjustment on the scope to offset the reticle for longer distance shots.

For example, assume that your target requires 14 mils of elevation for a long shot, but at maximum power, only 6 mils of the reticle is visible below the center crosshairs.

If you crank 10 mils of elevation on the scope, you can now hold the 4 mil line on the reticle for that shot.

Doing that is not ideal, but it's doable.

That's also why Horus reticles like the H37 have the zero mil line, i.e., the crosshairs, offset toward the top of the scope.

Rifles intended for longer distances often come with an scope base with considerable slant. The original Barrett .50s came with a built-in 60 MOA scope base.

Go 17x and don't look back
laugh.gif

thanks, i didnt think about dailing the reticle up. the scope will go on my .308 for now, so i doubt i will ever get close to full power, but i want the option. i may switch it to another rifle in the future.

If companies would start offering the H27, it would alleviate this issue for the most part. That is, as long as it functions the way it seems to on the Horus site. You still can get 14 mils of elevation even when fully zoomed in. You can with the H37 as well, but I personally find that one to be too busy. Data overload, at least for me.

offroadr1,

IMO,concerning 22x-25x and HV reticle.What ends up happening more often than not is that the mirage hinders your sight picture at higher magnifications and longer ranges.So I end up using my H70-SMOA reticle on 26X for sight in and for closer ranges from 100Y to 500Y.Especially works nice early in the morning or evening.

Make sure you box test your new scope otherwise the dialing up method-then using the holdovers won't work so well.

Steve

The extra mag X is nice when you need it but not necessary to have.

thats kinda my thoughts. my right eye is terrible now. i developed a massive astigmatisma a couple years ago, so now i find myself really cranking up the magnification. i doubt i would often go to 25x, but i would like to have the option instead my normal mag setting being the max. i was just hoping to see what i can expect it too look like at full power. doesnt do me any good to have the option to crank it up if its completely useless. box test for sure, but i am confident that the USO and Premier will function as designed. although once i set my zero, i doubt ill touch the knobs very often. beauty of the horus and holdovers.

I don't have an image of my H38 reticle at 22x, but I just checked and the last visible holdover line at the bottom of the sight picture is 19 mils with a 100 yard zero in my SN-3. And you can still see the 100-yard zero fiducial at the top. The H38 is for "super extrene range" shooting to 3km, according to Horus. So you have over 19 mils of holdover with the H38 in a 22x USO SN-3. Plenty, since 11 mils gets a 308Win to 1kyd with a 175SMK. I prefer to use the Horus at maximum magnification since the grid lines appear farther apart and the reticle seems less cluttered (my only gripe with it).

Lindy is right, you can offset the reticle zero to wherever you want it.

H37-25xUSOSN3H37-25x.jpg

this is saved as 25xUSOSN3H37-25x

Here is a pic of my H38 at 22x through my USO SN-3. It's not a great image, but you can see the difference between it and the H37 at 25x (two posts above this one):

Horusreticle015.jpg

Jack, how low can you dial down on the 22x before it gets so small that is unusable?

I just checked (again)! The H38 is useable all the way down (3.8X) if used against a light colored background. If dark or cluttered, the background could obscure the reticle or require use of some illumination. I think Horus chose the line subtensions carefully, it works!

excellent info. thanks for the pics. i appreciate you teking the time to snap those pics

That was great info... I am waiting 8 weeks for my SN3 3.8-22X 58 with the H-38....Thank you for the pictures and all the excellent information.... You guys are the best...

US Optics are making there own H-38 Reticles...., they want more control over the quality...

Dang, I was just about to order the Horus from USO tomorrow, but now, I'm starting to wonder if there is a better choice, while its a great reticle, I'm not sure it has enough flexiblity through the power ranges? I'm planning on putting it a Sako 338 TRG, is there a better choice to go with?