• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Can I get by using a fixed 10x scope for hunting?

wslowik

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I'm at an impasse. I'm building a tactical rifle that is going to double as a hunting rifle. I'm not a hunter, but my uncle has 100 acres an hour away from me and is an avid hunter of whitetail and has invited me to hunt with him and I want to give it a shot. So I'm stuck on my scope choice.

I was all but set on a NF 2.5-10x32 which I know would do hunting duty just fine. Then I came across the S&B 10x42 and I'm captivated. A S&B I can actually afford! and would do everything I want to do with this rifle, other than hunt, maybe. Which is where my question comes in: Will I be able to get by with the fixed 10x scope hunting whitetail in Western PA? He has multiple stands built around his property, and it's fairly dense woods with shooting lanes.

Would I be giving up much to the S&B going with the NF comparing both scopes on 10x mag? I really like the simplicity of both of these.

Just looking for some advice from someone who's been there with a 10x scope in the woods trying to make a shot on a deer. I haven't. Thanks for the help.

-Bill

Re: Can I get by using a fixed 10x scope for hunting?

I like a variable scope for hunting. You can dial up for those precise shots, and have it dialed down for the close in or moving shots. When I hunt, I keep the scope on about 4-6 power (depending on the distance of the stand I'm at). When you have a moving target under 100 yards, like a coyote or doe, it will be hard to track them on 10x. If I need to make a precise shot, I'll have time to dial up, but not the other way around. IMO, a fixed 10x wouldn't be optimal, but could work depending on your hunting area.

When you have one rifle doing double duty almost every decision involves some compromise. My experience in Pa's North Central woods is that you are really going to be handicapped at 10x (a hundred acre field would be a diffrent matter) I've never looked through an S&B 10x42 so I can't compare the glass quality for you but you are not going to be disappointed with the view through the NF. Given your stated use I'd go with the variable NF.

I have a SS 10x and I don't feel handicapped by it. I thought I might before I got it but when I laided my first coyote down that was troting away, quarting and right at 100 yards. The farthest I've shot a deer with the 10x is around 225 yards. I am happy with it. My opinion is 10x is a great setup. (At least for me)

In dense woods I would feel disadvantaged. You could always get a cheep variable for hunting only. I hunt dense woods with a 1.5-6x and it spends most of the time at about 2.5x, most of my shots have been 25-60 yards.

The 10X will certainly do the job of hunting. You're just dealing with a smaller field of view at close range. By close range I'm talking 10-90 yards. Even out past 50 you shouldn't have any real issues. I was in the same situation as you. I wanted my one rifle to do all the jobs in the world. Finally I changed my mind and just bought a second rifle to do my long range, and keep my hunting rifle with my variable Nikon Buckmaster.

In short as long as you're comfortable with the scope and can deal with the fov at close range I don't see any issues with hunting in a 10x scope. Heck most people with 3-9 scopes generally set it at 9 and forget about it anyway.

Why not just buy a cheaper scope for hunting? Its not hard to rezero a rifle. Pick up a 2-7 or something along those lines, and call it a day.

Another thing to consider is light transmission.

It’s not uncommon for me to turn up my power during the day but the 30 minutes before sunrise and after sunset (legal hunting hours) with thick tree cover over head the reticle disappears much above 4x when looking at a dark back ground and dark deer. A lit reticle helps but isn’t necessary.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've been tossing it around and I think what I'm going to do is get the S&B and take the rig hunting this upcoming season. If it's something I want to get into regularly, I'm just going to buy a dedicated hunting rifle. Probably something lighter than the heavy barrel 700 which would be better suited to the task anyway. Plus, it's an excuse to buy another gun.

A fixed 10x is definitely a disadvantage hunting in tight woods with shooting lanes. Can it be done, sure, heck you can use a 30x scope for it.

If you really want the fixed 10x S&B on the tac rifle (and I can't argue about that!) what you might consider is pick up a cheap(er) 2-7, 3-9, etc. scope leupold, nikon, zeiss, in that kind of situation you are not going to need to dial anything, zero it at 100 yards (or even less depending on the lanes) and leave it alone. Then down the road if you get a dedicated hunting rifle you can always put the optic on that.

I would buy the NF in a heartbeat.

Don't allow brand name trump the mission.

A NF 2.5-10x is a top quality scope that can serve in both hunting and LD shooting, a fixed 10x is a big handicap for woods hunting.

In my AO the big bucks and feral boars dont move in broad daylight so for low light shots a scope you can dail down to 3 or so is a real help.

My biggest buck was shot on bottomland stubble 5 minutes into the first day. 10X would not have worked then, the buck and stubble were damn near the same color in the early morning gloom to the east of my position.

However in broad daylight, 10X works well enough

A fixed 10x would work fine for hunting depending on the area you hunting-if you think you will be in close quarters then variable power would be preferred. I hunt in Wyoming so most shots aren't within 100 yrds and if it is that close you either put a good sneak on the animal or he is coming towards you/worst case scenario would be if you walk over a ridge and jumped him. Any way you look at it you should have time to get on the animal and make a good one shot kill. I like my magnification! Just my two cents...both scopes are winners and it doesn't seem like you could make a bad choice between those two! Good luck hunting

I have A S&B PMII 10x42 on my long range 300 RUM - it works perfectly in the field. I have never hunted it in real thick cover, but looking over corn fields, hay fields & semi-open woods, it works great!!

i have a 4-12 i use for hunting and i spend alot more time on 4x than i do 12x. i walk to and from the stand on 4x and in low light im on 4x. when im jsut sitting im on 4x, if i see somthing i need to be precise with i dial up to 12x

I think a lot of it is going to come down to what kind of hunting you are doing. I have taken maybe a dozen or so deer with a fixed 10, but none were closer than 150 yards or so.

That said, the SB is nice to be sure. BUT the nightforce is awesome as well and is going to be more versatile and fit your uses much better. IF I were in your shoes I would go NF. I have one NF and I love it. Tracks great, built like a tank, looks good, and all kinds of other nice things.

Id snag that NF post haste lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 331V8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a lot of it is going to come down to what kind of hunting you are doing. I have taken maybe a dozen or so deer with a fixed 10, but none were closer than 150 yards or so.

That said, the SB is nice to be sure. BUT the nightforce is awesome as well and is going to be more versatile and fit your uses much better. IF I were in your shoes I would go NF. I have one NF and I love it. Tracks great, built like a tank, looks good, and all kinds of other nice things.

Id snag that NF post haste lol. </div></div>

Variable is the way to go. The versatility can be priceless...

Variable scopes are better for hunting, but a fixed will work fine. As you stated, you dont hunt much, so use what you have. A 10x will work!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pgh_rugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the responses guys. I've been tossing it around and I think what I'm going to do is get the S&B and take the rig hunting this upcoming season. If it's something I want to get into regularly, I'm just going to buy a dedicated hunting rifle. Probably something lighter than the heavy barrel 700 which would be better suited to the task anyway. Plus, it's an excuse to buy another gun.</div></div>

Good answer. If you can afford it buy another gun. Then buy another one after that and so on. Like said above if it's all you got for now and you shoot it well, hunt it!

You can do nearly anything with what you have if you get used to it. During high school I shot everything that moved and didn't with a Remington Model 700 Varmint Special 308 and a Weaver T-10. Crows, deer, coyotes still and running....because its all I had. It worked.

Of course you can get by using a fixed 10x scope.

However, for your purposes, the NF is a better choice than the S&B but you won't be sorry either way.

You can do it if you practice.

If you try and shoot a deer running past you in the woods that is close say under 40 yards what happens is the 10x scope will maginify the trees you are passing thru your view and it is a little tougher to stay on the target. In a 100 acre field a 10x would work just fine. If fact I just happen to have one that might interest you it's a Leupold mark4 10x with the duplex reticle the glass is in perfect condition. 750.$ shipped.

I'm a NF fanboy. But I use a 10x and am happy with it.

Im not trying to jack your thread Op butAnybody knows the states that prohibits the use of scope 6x and higher? I have been using a 3-9 nikon scope on my garand and shooting 1000y and hits 1 out of 5 on average at stationary targets, so unless you're hunting something past 200y then IMHO you are more than equipped.

If you only shoot standing deer then 10x will not matter. If you plan to shoot at running deer then 10x would be a challenge.
I grew up hunting the brush in WI until I was 21.
I never could hit a close in running deer with the 2x7 redfield my dad had. But never missed with the 30-30 open sights. I did manage to shoot one moving deer at 100 yds with it before I sold it. If I went back to hunting the brush I would look for a 1x? because the magnification on running deer confuses me. Either that or practice more.

Too bad Bushnell doesn't make the 3200 Tactical in a Fixed 6x Mil/Mil.

I use a 4x32 wide angle for woods hunting - my Rem 788 in 243.

If I'm going out to the clearcuts I'll take the Rem 700 with me for the longer shots.

I would definetly buy a variable.

Hell if you have that kind of money into a rig, and want to hunt, just go buy a Marlin XS7 or a Savage Axis for about $300 and toss a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9 on top, for just over $400 you will have a decent hunting rig and not be carrying a 14 pound multi-thousand dollar rig.

I agree with the two guns and two power scopes, I have never had luck in multiple conditions with a fixed power unless it's a 4x,and even then a running shot is damn hard, a variable like the 2.5-8 or 3-10 is a much better choice. Get an inexpensive off the shelf used or cheap new rifle and a 300 dollar variable scope then get your heavier rig going with the S&B on it.

variable all the way
if fixed: get something like 6x, at most 8x

my old man has a fixed 6x and uses it for anything from 50-200. but for stuff like boar, at close distances/dense wood, even 6x might be too much of a magnification (as some others pointed out as well)

Fixed power might be hell on you if you get a bad case of buck fever.

A fixed tactical and a variable hunting scope differ from each other for very valid reasons.

The former is most likely to be used within a context which allows appreciable time to acquire the target and set up the shot.

Generally, this is less often the case when hunting big game. A variable allows a low power that is much better for quick target acquisition, and still provides a viable aiming solution. When the time does stretch out longer, the magnification can be turned up and a better shooting solution can be resolved.

Unless you're really going to be out in the field chasing critters a whole lot, it probably makes better sense to get something less spendy. Most makers have economical 3-9x hunting scopes which have served the needs of literally tens of thousands of hunters, and done it well enough to remain in production.

If low light conditions should be prevalent, consider a 50mm objective.

Spend some of the savings for another set of rings, so the scopes can be swapped with a minimum of rezeroing.

And BTW, the buzz seems to be that the Axis (and Stevens) rifle are very adequate to the hunting task. For a huge percentage of hunters, their package rifles are perfect for the niche. It makes a lot more sense to put the money for a spendy, trendy scope into a package refle that spares your precision implement from the rigors of the hunt, and carries a significant several pounds lighter.

Consider the task, and try not to get too wrapped up in the image.

Greg

Get the nightforce. I never really realized how limiting high magnification is until I left the range and went hunting. using my 6.5, I thought It would be nice to have something lower. 10x is ever worse than 6.5, so unless your doing just long range hunting, I would recommend a variable scope.

I guess it will depend on what type of hunting you will do. I have a fixed 10x on my LTR, that I hunt with.

I would swap out my fixed 10x for a 3x9x42 Burris with their ballistic plex reticle if you don't want to use the 10x and don't want to break the bank. Team that up with a range finder and you are money. A couple range sessions and the hold over hash marks on that reticle are dead on. The scope can be had used for about $150, glass is not bad, built like a tank and warranty is great. 3x9 is very versitile.

That being said I have hunted for years with a 4.5x14x42 leupold with a target dot, I have shot multiple deer every year, goats, and caribou with no issues, and the scope is usually at 12x. I never have had the need to shoot running game as it is all spot and stalk here. stand hunting with a 10x should be no problem if that is all you have. I would do it in a heart beat.

The S&B would be cool to have, but maybe a little too much for the woods. If they came in a 6x maybe.

the USMC and army have hunted many o' man with a 10x fixed....just sayin'

Its possible, but a huge handicap in dense areas.

Shoot with both eyes open which you should be anyways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MB198</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy both scopes. </div></div>

Love it.