• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can I get this upper to shoot moa or better??

mcimma

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Mass.
Hello All, here is the challenge...

DPMS AP4 upper with 16" barrel, low profile gas block, YHM suppressor, BCM Gunfighter CH, DPMS free float handguard and bolt carrier assembly..Has a SWFA ssalt mount and Vortex Viper PST 1-4 w/moa reticle.

Any and all opinions will be appreciated (parts,ammo, etc.)

Is it possible??

Re: Can I get this upper to shoot moa or better??

In my opinion, getting it to shoot MOA (at reasonable distance) shouldn't be an issue as long as you're an MOA shooter.

You didn't mention the barrel. Their stainless steel and chrome-moly barrels are very accurate, easily sub-moa. A chrome-lined barrel I would be a little skeptical of but it may still be possible.

Upgrade your trigger or technique. If your technique is good, then get a high quality trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That scope kind of sucks for shooting tiny groups but I bet with the right kind of ammo and some practice you'll be satisfied.</div></div>

Missed that.... yeah 1-4x isn't exactly a benchrest optic.

Which specific model is it? Is it factory or custom build?
The DPMS AP4 designation is for their M4 style carbines, which uses a government contour 16" carbine barrel. If this is the model you have, then getting consistent 1MOA is not very likely. I My first AR was an AP4 and it got about 1.5-2MOA on the best of days.
If you have one of their heavier barrels, those are very accurate. I have their Mk12 barrel that is consistently pulling sub-MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which specific model is it? Is it factory or custom build?
The DPMS AP4 designation is for their M4 style carbines, which uses a government contour 16" carbine barrel. If this is the model you have, then getting consistent 1MOA is not very likely. I My first AR was an AP4 and it got about 1.5-2MOA on the best of days.
If you have one of their heavier barrels, those are very accurate. I have their Mk12 barrel that is consistently pulling sub-MOA. </div></div>

Its the factory AP4 barrel. I understand that the scope may limit me which I may sell and upgrade. My biggest question is there anything else I can do to the upper to help with the accuracy? Also, what would be an accurate ammo? I use std. 55 grain to train and we carry 62 grain soft nose for duty...

MAYBE, with a bigger scope and match ammunition; assming that you are capable of doing it.

No offense, but lots of guys talk about shooting MOA as though it's just a matter of equipment. With the quality of parts and ammunition available now, the shooter is the limiting factor a lot of the time.

I usually consider the barrel and the trigger the more important factors in the AR's accuracy potential, obviously the shooter has to be up to snuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MAYBE, with a bigger scope and match ammunition; assming that you are capable of doing it.

No offense, but lots of guys talk about shooting MOA as though it's just a matter of equipment. With the quality of parts and ammunition available now, the shooter is the limiting factor a lot of the time. </div></div>

No offense taken, I am well aware that the shooter is one of the most important factors for tight groups. I just want to know if anyone has achieved it with this or a similar setup....

Also just trying to find out if say one free floating handguard is better than the other in regards to tightenig up a group..am I ok with the current one or would accuracy improve if I had something like a Daniel Defense (or something along those lines) on it...

Free floated is free floated. As mentioned, most times the machine does not limit the end result, it's more the driver. That being said, I wouldn't go buy a SMART car for rally racing.

I guess why do you need to shoot MOA with a carbine? Are you shooting bench? If so, get the right tool for the right job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcimma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also just trying to find out if say one free floating handguard is better than the other in regards to tightenig up a group..am I ok with the current one or would accuracy improve if I had something like a Daniel Defense (or something along those lines) on it... </div></div>

I don't really see how a more expensive free-floating handguard will increase accuracy...

Its not the arrow its the Indian....

Practice good shooting techniques and it will shoot MOA

i have a rough old olyarms a3 16in 4x12 redfield and a JARD single stage triger. It will shoot .75moa or less all day long, its not floated either. technique is more than half the battle, practice A lot, then some more. 22lrs make great trainers too.

Aside from practice and scope, you need to figure out which ammunition works best in the rifle. A 1:9 twist rate will handle up to a 69gr round. Look into match ammo in the 62-69gr range and see if any of that works well. You can also try lighter ammunition and see if something in the 52-55gr range works.