• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Can I paint my stainless barrel? NOW WITH PICS!!

Camo_Toe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2008
Camp Verde, AZ
Got a ruger stainless in 243.
Want to paint it camo.
Only going to be a varmint gun.
Can I paint it with regular flat Krylon or will it not stick at all?

Re: Can I paint my stainless barrel?

Has nothing to do with type of metal but rather the prep before the spray.

suggestions then?
maybe de-grease it then run steel wool all over it. . .???

Sand it down w 600 grit sandpaper first

sand paper works fine, just roughs up the finish a little so the paint will stick, if you want a professional paint job i cant be of assistance, but if your just kryloning for a functionallity reason, then just krylon it up and if it starts rubbing off just hit it again, ive painted my rifle 3 times and they have all lasted a long time some say use clear coat, but i like the flat look so i left it flat,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">aluminum oxide blasting... </div></div>

+1

Then drench with a degreaser which leaves no residue such as acetone or brake cleaner. Wouldn't hurt to run it up to 150° to make sure all oils are gone as well. You'd be surprised where oil will hide and seep out under a little heat. Drench again if oil is present. Don't handle it without wearing clean gloves such as nitrile or latex after prep is done.

Yes, krylon it up. Here is a picture of my elk rifle: 300 Weatherby Mag Accumark (stainless fluted) done up with krylon for last elk season. I just cleaned it with alcohol first before painting. I didn't want to screw up the rifle too much if someone wanted to ever take the paint off and return it to near original condition.

Weatherby300Mag.jpg

Ditto on what Brian said.

Degrease with brake cleaner or for a real oil remover use MEK ( buy it at lowes and don't use indoors)

warm the rifle in the oven and don't handle with bare hands.

If you can blast it with alum oxide great, if not use some 150 grit sand paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flatlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ditto on what Brian said.

Degrease with brake cleaner or for a real oil remover use MEK ( buy it at lowes and don't use indoors)

warm the rifle in the oven and don't handle with bare hands.

If you can blast it with alum oxide great, if not use some 150 grit sand paper. </div></div>

Shoe-shine is better than just stroking with paper.

Make sure no brake cleaner, or mek left before placing in oven!

Wooden dowels in muzzle and action for handling. Residue in barrel will cause these to pop out in oven!

Looks like Lowes has everything!

well I did it anyway.
Degreased it, sanded it lightly and blasted away.
Tore up some masking tape and the whole paint job took me ten minutes.
Looks a lot less bright and shiny now.
MB104.jpg

MB109.jpg