• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Can i remove a scope from rail and keep zero?

Tonmarchelli

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Surprise, AZ
This could be a newbie question and if so i apologize. but ive got a vortex viper pst mounted to a US optics 1 piece picatanny rail with burris 30mm rings. If i were to remove the scope by loosing the rings hold on the rail, then re install it again: will the scope still be in zero? or is some fine tuning going to have to be done?

thanks for the answers.

Re: Can i remove a scope from rail and keep zero?

in theory, yes, in practice, yes sometimes, sometimes not. If you need to remove it once in a while for some reason shouldnt be an issue, i wouldnt go takin it on and off daily cause its snipery though

It will be close but don't expect it to be exactly on. A zero check would be a good idea. Unless you have to take the scope off then leave it alone.

You should be good,minor adjustments if any.

I second the close but not perfect comment above. That is what I see when removing my Am Defense mount from an AR and remounting it

can i shit in my pants and not leave a mark? it can happen but probably not

Reactions: rmiked

I was curious about this too, thanks for answering

Same with a stock. If I take my 300 out of the stock,then put it back and torque the bolts it will be close.1/2 moa. same with scope. If you torque the nuts on the rings the same, poi will be close. But I would check zero before I shot a match or such.

As stated above use the same pictinny slots and must use the same torque setting. A bore sighter with a grid system is helpful too, it will verify any shift if you have the original reticle location logged.

I have a leupold 6.5-20x50 VX III on a colt AR mounted on Burris XTR rings ( 30 mm scope / high rings ) that has been removed and reinstalled more than once and it hasn't changed POI at 100 yds more than 1/2 MOA , I make sure I install it back on the same slots on the rail and push it forward against the slot and then tie the cross bolts alternating and torque them to them to 60 lbs.