• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can I use this brass

Yaremkiv

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2018
Picked up some 300 win mag brass at a gun show. Should've looked closer at the heads, looks like pressure signs and now I'm thinking they weren't once fired like I was told. Hopefully the picture will show, on the left side you can see the brass being extruded into the ejector hole and on the right there's a dent at the edge of the rim. About half the bag looks like this.. Does anyone know what that dent could be and if I'm ok loading these cases?

Attachments

• 20210324_205832.jpg
    20210324_205832.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 20210324_222148.jpg
    20210324_222148.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 20210324_222049.jpg
    20210324_222049.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 169
Could you try taking the picture again. Maybe more magnification?
It came out fuzzy.

A primer pocket gauge is a good tool.

My bad when I opened the picture it was pretty clear.

I didn't see bad things but get more opinions my glases broke, seriously.

A primer pocket gauge is cheap enough, (swage gauge).
If It pases that I think I would run them.

My bad when I opened the picture it was pretty clear.

I didn't see bad things but get more opinions my glases broke, seriously.

A primer pocket gauge is cheap enough, (swage gauge).
If It pases that I think I would run them.
I added a couple more pictures, I'll check the primer pockets and see if they're still within spec. Appreciate it

Reactions: Snuby642
I'm not seeing anything that would overly concern me as long as it holds a primer tight. Might not get the best life out of it before the pockets get loose.
Start low and work your way up. Ejector marks aren't always necessarily a for sure sign of excessive pressure, and in the scheme of ejector marks, those look to be light.
Sometimes the brass has a soft case head and takes a firing or two to harden up. For the record, I've loaded up cases with similar or worse ejector marks and all was well.

I'm not seeing anything that would overly concern me as long as it holds a primer tight. Might not get the best life out of it before the pockets get loose.
Start low and work your way up. Ejector marks aren't always necessarily a for sure sign of excessive pressure, and in the scheme of ejector marks, those look to be light.
Sometimes the brass has a soft case head and takes a firing or two to harden up. For the record, I've loaded up cases with similar or worse ejector marks and all was well.
Ok thanks, I'll check the primer pockets and proceed with caution.

Is it possible that these were fired out of a Browning BAR?
I'm speaking of the semi auto hunting rifle.
If so, that could explain the dented rims and possibly even the ejector marks.

Maybe some kind of semi auto. Noreen 300WM, or BAR. Maybe MK248 brass. My first check would be to see off they primer pockets are loose. This can be done with a special gauge or by seating some primers.

Maybe (a) check the chambering, seating, and extraction in your rifle of choice, (b) run anything that doesn't chamber through a FL sizer, (c) load a few, and (d) go shooting. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

I only see one ejector hole mark, so I could see it being once fired.

Reactions: Snuby642
Maybe some kind of semi auto. Noreen 300WM, or BAR. Maybe MK248 brass. My first check would be to see off they primer pockets are loose. This can be done with a special gauge or by seating some primers.
They hold primers so I'm good there.
Is it possible that these were fired out of a Browning BAR?
I'm speaking of the semi auto hunting rifle.
If so, that could explain the dented rims and possibly even the ejector marks.
Interesting, how would the semi's dent the rims?

Timing. They begin to extract while there is still pressure in the system. IT bends rims and leaves ejector and extractor marks.

Reactions: Steel head
I had some very soft 6.5 creedmoor brass from Federal recently. Hot factory loads + soft brass could give what you're seeing.

When buying once fired brass you're always at the mercy of the other party's honesty. I would start low and work up.

Timing. They begin to extract while there is still pressure in the system. IT bends rims and leaves ejector and extractor marks.

Yeah but they bend the rims outward, here the rim is bent inward. I think this is from dropping the case on a hard surface like tile and stuff.

Semi auto fired 300WM brass is so fucked up anybody can tell it was fired out of an auto.

I had some very soft 6.5 creedmoor brass from Federal recently. Hot factory loads + soft brass could give what you're seeing.

When buying once fired brass you're always at the mercy of the other party's honesty. I would start low and work up.

I’m pretty sure these are 1x fired. The rough sandblasted texture is still there showing strong, it gets smoothed out as the case goes through several reload cycles.

They hold primers so I'm good there.

Interesting, how would the semi's dent the rims?

High spring pressure on the ejector plunger, causes the case to begin tipping out of the ejection port before the bolt assembly completes rearward travel.
Case is partially tipped out as the bolt assembly slams to a stop, bending the edge of the rim.

If this is the case, the bend and the ejector marks will all be the same locations from each other.

High spring pressure on the ejector plunger, causes the case to begin tipping out of the ejection port before the bolt assembly completes rearward travel.
Case is partially tipped out as the bolt assembly slams to a stop, bending the edge of the rim.

If this is the case, the bend and the ejector marks will all be the same locations from each other.
They're not in the same location which makes me think the dents were caused by brass hitting the floor after extraction like someone else on here said.

I would guess the side barrier in a divided firing range being concrete or steel.

Well, mystery solved and lesson learned. Thanks for the help