• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can my old 700 ADL with the J-lock be built?

Pbailey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Oregon
The title basically says it all, I have an older ADL that I bought in .270 and have done some messing around with such as bedding and free floating the stock, painting, and then adjusting the trigger down to a nice 2 lbs.

My question is, can the older 700 ADL with the j lock and blind mag still be built into a more "precision" rifle if the action is squared, lugs are lapped, and a new barrel is put on?

Just want to make sure that the J lock does not hinder anything.

Thank you!

Re: Can my old 700 ADL with the J-lock be built?

Yes, to all your questions. But I think any reputable gunsmith will tell you to replace the J lock bolt shroud with a normal one, that's commonplace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Bailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will it hinder accuracy? </div></div>

The bolt shrouds with the J-Lock have FP springs that are all kinked and twisted, which may not have a direct relationship to accuracy but certainly doesn't help accuracy. While it may not be absolutely necessary, it's a CHEAP upgrade.

my 700adl has had all of the upgrades you listed above and it shoots great.

An old 700 ADL is a GEM. My .270 is not ammo-fickle and has always shot under a minute every time it has seen paper.

I say go for it, unless you're unwilling to ruin a good hunting rifle.