• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

can of worms marlin/ vs cz

DAFAR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2003
Bremerton Washington
you know I have been going round and round with 22s for years. I am cheap and I will probably never buy the really expensive 22 ammo, so my question is this if I am limiting myself to bulk box cci mini mag and some occasional wolf is there really a potetial for an accuarcy difference between a marlin 880sq and a cz 452. What I guess I mean is thIs : is there something in the barrel /chamber/trigger design that would make one more accurate than the other?

Re: can of worms marlin/ vs cz

My CZ 452 varmit will shoot as well as my 40X with wolf MT at 50 yds. At 100 the groups open up a bit. Unfortunately I have not shot the marlin, and the results I have had with my CZ could be atypical. But I would buy another CZ in a heartbeat. Now I have to decide if I want the new mcmilian A1 or the manners for it
smile.gif

Good luck with your decision.

AS

My CZ 452 does extremely well with American eagle ammo (40 rounds will hold MOA at 25 yards.).

Velocity spread is the issue.

Still . . . . .

Pretty good for cheap stuff.

I would get the CZ and try a few brands. One will work VERY well.

BMT

Never owned a CZ but have run my 880SQ hard with whatever ammo
I could get my hands on and have been very happy with it. It easily shoots sub MOA at 50 yards and damn close to it at 100 yards minus the occasional flyer and wind gust. Over the years I have done a few things to it such as: new trigger spring (out of an ink pen), polished up the trigger (did it myself), threaded the barrel for my AAC Pilot ($20 + A1 flash hider as a thread protector $4), dropped it into a Boyd's Tacticool stock ($79) and just today got a picatinny 5 MOA base for it from DIP ($40) (slides on the 3/8" groove but I will have to drill and tap the receiver as the base is really made for the 900 series Marlins), set of TPS rings (used $20) and a Tasco 2.5-10x50 mil-dot scope (on sale through Midway years ago $69). Pretty sure I bought this 880 for around $180, so for a little over $400 I have a great shooter with all kinds of accuracy potential. If I was willing to spend the money on high end .22 ammo I know it will shoot with the big boys. There are after market triggers for the Marlin as well but I will need to save some more for that. It is apart on the bench to be drilled and tapped and I will post pictures when it is back together. If you have a line on an 880SQ for a good price I don't think you can go wrong.

Another option is to look at the Savage line of .22 bolt action rifles. They have some new tactical models with features you may want to upgrade to anyway. I bought my oldest boy a Savage at it has run without flaw and is easily a MOA gun at 50 yards. Let us know what you end up doing.

Danel

I have owned many .22 have 7 at this time and my CZ452 American is definately at the top along with my CZ452 Varmint. Very well built and as accurate as you can get with cheap ammo. I can hit flys on the target paper with mine at 30 yards. Great rifles.

Chalk my vote up to CZ452.
I have always owned a Marlin during my life. For years I was never without a 39A. Marlin makes a fantastic squirrel rifle. You have given no indication of what you plan to do with this rifle. If you plan to plink away with cheap ammo then get a cheap rifle. I suspect you have gone round and round with 22's because you want to pay a little money for a lot of rifle. That idea looks good in theory but rarely gives great results. I hope I am never so poor I have to find out how my CZ shoots crap ammo. An amazingly accurate rifle is a wonderful thing but they are not cheap and the ammo they shoot isn't either. Wolf is the cheapest ammo I will shoot BUT I expect a lot from my rifle. Its accuracy far exceeds "minute of squirrel" so as a hunting rifle it is overkill. Many accuracy claims I read about cheap 22's on this site are a bit exaggerated. Look here to see proof of that:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2332880#Post2332880
Post Script: NO $200 22 rifle will outshoot a 40X. A Vostok may come close.

My 452FS didn't do too bad with mini mags, consistently shot under 1" at 50 yards, but then again, with rimfire rifles, YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at a 453 Varmint also. Shoots pretty dang good also. </div></div>

Point to note... a spring/tube kit can get a 452 trigger almost near the clean break and lower weight that the factory 453 trigger provides at a far greater savings.

Of course, I remember back in the late 1990s when a the single set trigger was only $30-$50 more than the standard 452.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HighCondor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at a 453 Varmint also. Shoots pretty dang good also. </div></div>

Point to note... a spring/tube kit can get a 452 trigger almost near the clean break and lower weight that the factory 453 trigger provides at a far greater savings.

Of course, I remember back in the late 1990s when a the single set trigger was only $30-$50 more than the standard 452. </div></div>

Or be patient, I picked up a CZ 453V for $350 on gunbroker. (+35 for the FFL) Maybe not the best buy of the yr but a very reasonable price.