• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can one improve Butler Creek 10/22 mags?

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I recently bought 2 10/22's, right around Christmas. One of them shipped with a BX-25, but other than that, I had nothing in the way of Reasonable Capacity mags.

A buddy of mine in TX, upon finding out I had bought the 10/22's told me he had a new in package BX-25 and gave that to me. So, that made 2.

We all know that is not enough. So, I was still looking and another guy I know said he had a couple "Hi-caps" and told me I could have those. When they arrived, one was an essentially new looking Clear Butler Creek 25 rounder and the other was a lightly used Smoke 25 rounder.

I tested them out last weekend and neither offered great performance in either of the 10/22's in which I tried them. The guns fed all ammo's at 100% from my BX mags, but jammed consistently with the BC mags. One of the BC's actually had 25 rounds in it to start, and upon firing 3-4 rounds stopped feeding. Looked at the (clear) mag and saw that the remaing 20 or so rounds were not even being pushed by the follower. They were literally just stuck down at the bottom of the mag for unknown reasons.

So, my question is this. Is there anything I can do with these 2 excellent appearing but poorly functioning mags to make them work?

Hate to just trash to otherwise great looking mags when Reasonable Capacity mags are difficult to acquire right now.

Re: Can one improve Butler Creek 10/22 mags?

Not good to hear as I have a couple of those same mags that are untested at this time. I do have two of the BX's also. Sorry I have no information for you but thanks for giving us yours.

The Goat

Sorry!! Never had ANY trouble with my butler creeks they functions flawlessly!

I have had better luck with the steel lips (Butler creek) than the hot lips (Butler Creek) 10/22 mags. Seems the hot lips do ok if your rate of fire is slow and don't transfer any heat into the plastic mag lips. I have not had one hang up as you state get the mag unloaded and check for trash inside.