• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can Someone do a Quickload Check on a 308 Load for Me?

jrhtx

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2006
Houston, TX
16.5" Barrel
LC 77 Match
165gr SST's
BR2
41.5 gr Re-15
Ogive 2.220
This load is shooting right at 3/4" when I am having a good day. The load and rifle is my ranch gun for day hogs. 0-300 yards max.
Magnetospeed shows it running at 2423.
I got a bunch of the 165SST real cheep and reduced the book loads because of the LC brass. My Sierra manual says Federal brass, 43.1 max,
Hornady with Hornady brass is 44.3.

It is shooting good enough for hogs but wonder how close I am to max. No signs of pressure. 42.0gr opened up to about 1.5".

Thanks for the help!

Bolt gun or gas?

Are you using LC LR brass or the machine gun stuff?

If LR, its case capacity is similar to Federal COTS and you should be well under the over pressure threshold for your rifle at 41.5.

Bolt gun
LC 77 Match brass. I thought all the LC brass had less capacity?
Less capacity than than some but the same as others. Just weighed unprimed case each of LC LR 07, LC MG and Federal and all weighted 176.3.

Also weighted 308 brass from Hornady (162g), Winchester (156g), Black Hills (157g) and each have thinner case walls thus greater capacity.

PMP brass (178g) has a little less than the LC and Federal brass.

Primer was removed from all cases prior to weigh-in.

Bolt gun
LC 77 Match brass. I thought all the LC brass had less capacity?

Federal brass at one time had as much capacity as as today’s lighter cases. So it depends on the vintage of your Sierra manual. Today’s Federal brass is similar to LC.

16.5" Barrel
LC 77 Match
165gr SST's
BR2
41.5 gr Re-15
Ogive 2.220
This load is shooting right at 3/4" when I am having a good day. The load and rifle is my ranch gun for day hogs. 0-300 yards max.
Magnetospeed shows it running at 2423.
I got a bunch of the 165SST real cheep and reduced the book loads because of the LC brass. My Sierra manual says Federal brass, 43.1 max,
Hornady with Hornady brass is 44.3.

It is shooting good enough for hogs but wonder how close I am to max. No signs of pressure. 42.0gr opened up to about 1.5".

Thanks for the help!

How about you buy the software yourself?

Reactions: rijndael