• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can someone get me some 284 or 7SAUM dummy rounds?

rusty815

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone, I'm hoping you can all help me out. I'm looking to decide between getting a custom barrel in one of these barrels but don't know which, having both of them here with me would be a great help. Can someone give me a dummy round of each with something like a 180gr. berger or 162gr. A-max? It would be a great help.

Re: Can someone get me some 284 or 7SAUM dummy rounds?

Thanks trailrider, PM sent, I would still like to get a 284 dummy round to compare, anyone help me with that?

Bump, would still like someone to help me with a 284 dummy round.

Can't help with dummy rounds, but you do have my curiosity up. Just how are dummy rounds going to help you choose a specific caliber/round?

OFG

Well, for one I am a very visual person, I would like to see how they compare next to each other. Second, if I decide to choose one, I would need a dummy round to get a custom chamber for my long action as well.

Here is a pic for your visual
From left to right 284 shehane 180gr bergers hybrids, 308 155 lapua scenar,
260 139gr lapua scenar and 7saum with 162 gr amax
FA0C6AFE-295F-412D-B8E9-034DF4D99A0D-668-000001CF13D4AD1D.jpg

how long is the 284? Also, what's the base to ogive length? what kind of velocity are you getting with it as opposed to the 7saum?

Don't have any of that info with me ! Can let you know next week when get home ! It's long for sure ! The 284 is a blast to shoot !

Hmm, which of the two I mentioned do you think can be loaded longer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm, which of the two I mentioned do you think can be loaded longer? </div></div>

Do you mean case OAL or the most reloads?

I shot with a guy that had a .284, I had two 7 saums. He petered out at 1500 yards, mine went to 1650, it was windy that day.
Nedless to say, he is rechambering right now to a SAUM.

Right now with the current brass situation, I would build a 7 WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm, which of the two I mentioned do you think can be loaded longer? </div></div>

Do mean case OAL or the most reloads?

I shot with a guy that had a .284, I had two 7 saums. He petered out at 1500 yards, mine went to 1650, it was windy that day.
Nedless to say, he is rechambering right now to a SAUM.

Right now with the current brass situation, I would build a 7 WSM. </div></div>

This sounds about right. The magnum 7s don't show their superiority over the 284 until 1200-1300 yards. Even so, the 284 is quite capable there.

I'm curious to see what happens with the 7SAUM... It seems to me like the shooting community is pretty aware it is a "better" cartridge than the 7WSM, because it essentially matches the ballistics, but does so whilst fitting a short action cleanly, and burning 5-6gr less powder.

Still, right now the 7SAUM brass is a problem, and 7WSM is not.

I decent middle-ground is a 7-300WSM.

My 284,is in a long action Remington with heavy varmit contour barrel ! My 7saum is in a short action ! As far as accuracy goes ! They are both accurate but I give the advantage to the 284 out to 1000 !