• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can someone give me guidance on what is happening in this pic?

MoHobbyPlinker

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2023
United States
1000023066.jpg

My brother was sighting in his 30-30 at 100 yds and then tried from 50 yds since that is closer to the distance he hunts from.

All the shots shown are the same caliber from the same 50yd distance. Shot one and three were stopped. Shots two and four went straight threw the 1/4" hardened steel. The still is from a metal manufacturer from in town but not specifically designed to be ar500 rated steel. We have been shooting this same target for 5+ years hitting it with everything in our arsenal without any problems until now.

Possibly you’re shooting black-tip without knowing it. Happened to me a couple of times. Hand-loads?

Also, 1/4” is pretty thin, even for AR500.

If you look at the sheared out surfaces you will note that the surface is bright with minimal rear tearing. This is classical for adiabatic shear which occurs in hard plate when the strain rate (velocity) exceeds a certain limit value. The phenomenon is peculiar in behavior, very digital in determining V50 values and much heavier rounds with greater cross sectional energy will be stopped without much damage to the plate. It has overlap with the plate thickness ratio being 1:1 with the caliber but is not classical plugging of the plate.

Work hardening of certain steels like AR types (abrasion resistant mining plates vs true armor) will shift the onset.

If you look at the sheared out surfaces you will note that the surface is bright with minimal rear tearing. This is classical for adiabatic shear which occurs in hard plate when the strain rate (velocity) exceeds a certain limit value. The phenomenon is peculiar in behavior, very digital in determining V50 values and much heavier rounds with greater cross sectional energy will be stopped without much damage to the plate. It has overlap with the plate thickness ratio being 1:1 with the caliber but is not classical plugging of the plate.

Work hardening of certain steels like AR types (abrasion resistant mining plates vs true armor) will shift the onset.

In layman's terms, the bullet bitch slapped the plate.

.30-30 will go through mild 1/4 no problem.

I don’t think you got anything close to Ar500!!!

Here is a Piece I made for teaching hunter safety a few years ago. Shot from 25 feet. Showed
The kids in no uncertain terms that guns are not toys!

IMG_6443.jpeg

That is 1/2 inch mild steel. Note the .30-30 went well past 1/4”.

Sirhr

Possibly you’re shooting black-tip without knowing it. Happened to me a couple of times. Hand-loads?

Also, 1/4” is pretty thin, even for AR500.
idk if its exactly 1/4 or more but it seems around that much or more but definitely now 1/2". Maybe 3/8". I just asked what kind of ammo he was using and he said standard Remington deer hunting ammo

I have confirmed the ammo used was Remington Core-Lokt 30-30 win 170grain

and my dad who purchased the plate says it is 504 hardened steel
Ah... 504 is a non-hardened stainless.

Doubt at all that it was 'hardened' after being sold.

Certainly 1/4" isn't going to stop even a medium-pressure .30.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Edit: Last time I cut 504 on a lathe it was like cutting copper. Or silly putty. Gummy as hell. No fun!

Last edited:

Here is a Piece I made for teaching hunter safety a few years ago. Shot from 25 feet. Showed

View attachment 8250215

Sirhr
FBB457D8-14D7-4727-BE6F-1E75CE5DD7F3.png

6.5 creedmore

Here’s some guidance. What you experienced shows the unpredictability of shooting steel that’s not AR500 type stuff. There’s quite a few YouTube’s of people shooting steel like this and you can hear the bullets coming back their direction; that doesn’t happen when you shoot AR500 steel at the proper distance. You never really know what’s going to happen with normal steel and shooting it can be hazardous to you health. Do yourself a favor and get some AR500 targets.

Like this famous one:

• Wow
Reactions: theLBC
Ah... 504 is a non-hardened stainless.

Doubt at all that it was 'hardened' after being sold.

Certainly 1/4" isn't going to stop even a medium-pressure .30.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Edit: Last time I cut 504 on a lathe it was like cutting copper. Or silly putty. Gummy as hell. No fun!
I just checked the website of the company he bought it from and he says heat treated plate so maybe my dad was confused.

Again we have been shooting this same plate for 4-5 years with nothing like this ever happening with these same guns before. I have hit it with green tipped 5.56 and hit it with my 6.5cm. My brother has hit it with his 30-30, 3.06, and 300 blk. I even found casing from someone shooting .458 socom out there. Nothings ever punched a hole until now.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYAggie

View attachment 8250215

Sirhr

Well, well, well. As if we needed more proof that .45acp is better than 9mm.