• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can someone school me on MOA scope bases?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey all,

I've been searching and reading the optics FAQ's and cant seem to find anything on the MOA bases that you long-range guys seem to all have on your rifles.

I'm failing to understand how they affect your POI at closer ranges like 100 yards when using them. Wouldn't that cause your POI to be higher, since your scope cants downward to allow more elevation adjustment at ranges out to 1000 yards?

If someone can dumb this down for me, that would be great. Also, would it have any impact on a mil/mil scope setup since the base is in MOA?

Re: Can someone school me on MOA scope bases?

The MOA base just changes your starting position by bringing it up 15/20/30/40 MOA depending on what you bought. You still have to rezero the scope so you adjust it back down for whatever zero you want 100,200,etc. After that it works the same as a flat base just allowing you more upward elevation travel in your scope whether your scope is MIL, MOA, or inches. You still calculate vertical elevation the same way.

Ok so you dont really lose anything, if anything at all, when going with this type of base vs. a flat base?

Nope. Just make sure you have enough adjustability in your scope to get back down to your designated zero. If your scope only has 20 inches of downward adjustability, you probably don't want a 30 MOA base if you intend to shoot at 100 yards. On the flipside, if you are only going to shoot at 100 yards, a sloped base is not going to provide any benefit.

Another way to look at it is...lets say a zero base puts your scope crosshairs in the center of the tube...the more MOA down you go on the base it takes you out of that "sweet spot" in the center of the tube at the close ranges 100 yards. I have never seen that to be a problem where it takes you too far out of the sweet spot...but something to keep in mind.

you will be fine then