• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Can someone school me on the pvs30

GreenMushroom

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2020
Washington
I've looked at lots of pictures and video here of people using them and understand the basic functionality of it on a rifle. My rifle setup would at least initially be a 16" stainless mrp and a 4x acog. I was planning on getting a clip on thermal like the yoter but we have plenty of thermals already and I'm thinking something with longer range pid is more logical.

We were thinking of getting a 3rd pvs 14 that would serve the dual role of allowing a 3rd person to accompany us and as a designated hand held spotter with a magnifier when it's just us. I'm not impressed with the magnifier options. I'm wondering if anyone uses the 30 as a hand held spotter. I've seen pics of them attached to spotting scopes but not anything smaller.

I'm open to suggestions but we have a leica monovid 8x20 that seems like it would be perfect. Is there any way to attach something like this to the 30? My thinking is to ditch the idea of the clip on thermal and and get a 30. There are refurbished units out there for pretty reasonable prices. We have a second nox18 on the way and set up as binos I'd think they'd be good enough for me to navigate anywhere we'd take a newb.

This would be considerably cheaper and seems to offer a more well rounded capability. I guess the main thing I'm wondering is if the 30 is only really useful on a rifle or if it's pretty flexible. I also have a s20 ultra I use for digiscoping. Do people ever use something like that on a 30?

you can use a clip on as a spotter for sure but you would def want it tripod mounted. a 3.5lb clip on attached to a rail and the weight of whatever spotter is going be heavy and not suited for hand held observation. you will wind up wanting illumination so figure that weight in too.

the clip on itself is not suited for visual observation without a magnified optic behind it.

the 14 and magnifier is far better suited for that role if thats what you want to do.

Killswitch nailed it.

PVS30 is a bit of a specialized device. I've had guys ask about them and say "can you use it as a monocular?" I wouldn't want to!

She's a big ol' girl but mounted on a good rifle she'll rock and roll all night long. Just don't want to carry her for miles!

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Thanks. This is what I was getting but info is kind of hard to find. I've seen pics of a 30 set up on a rail with a mk 4 spotter but don't think I've seen it attached directly to the objective. I've seen other clip ons that do attach to the objective so is there an attachment method like this for the 30? I have a kowa 553 that would use for tripod mount but haven't been able to find out if that's an option.

I'm aware it isn't for use without magnification. The monovid I mentioned is tiny and has nice glass and the ability for very close focus. It weighs almost nothing but if there's no way to attach it then it's a dead end. My preference was for something pvs14 based but options seem limited there also. I have a 3x magnifier and it's fine for what it is but it's not suitable for longer range pid or photography. I doubt the 5x is much better.

If you're meaning to cantilever attach a pvs-30 or any mil type clip on to the objective of some type of spotter you are definitely not going to want to do or try that. buy a long section of pic rail or buy one of the spotter/clip on solutions like the badger ordinance slick etc. i dont think you grasp the weight of these devices.

put the clip on on a rifle and put the rifle on a tripod and live a happy life. you can simply observe through it if you want.

She is heavy and if you like to dork around with the focus and have short arms you will not be happy. Tripod mounted with the 30 is the way to go. If I had my pick I would go for one of the hot rodded PVS-27s that have been re-tubed with an un-filmed L3 Harris tube.

Yes that's exactly what I was asking. I grasp that it weighs 3 lbs but not having had one in my hand the # doesn't mean a lot. The devices I've seen attached to objectives are commercial grade thermals that are much lighter. I'll have to give some more thought to the rifle mount idea. I'd rejected that based on weight but the 30s I looked at have quick disconnect so it could be carried in my pack and put on when needed.

In regards to the monovid its a tiny monocular. It would be attached to the 30 not the other way around but if there's no method for doing so its irrelevant. It interested me for the lighter weight since it only weighs a few oz. Was thinking 30 attached to light weight tripod with the monovid on the back of the 30. We are backpackers and not hunters so weight is always an issue. I don't know that packing a 30 and my 553 is viable. I've looked at the slick but my understanding was its only for mk4 and wouldn’t work with a 553.

Monovid attached to phone

Attachments

• 20210605_100450.jpg
    20210605_100450.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 48
Thanks. This is what I was getting but info is kind of hard to find. I've seen pics of a 30 set up on a rail with a mk 4 spotter but don't think I've seen it attached directly to the objective. I've seen other clip ons that do attach to the objective so is there an attachment method like this for the 30? I have a kowa 553 that would use for tripod mount but haven't been able to find out if that's an option.

I'm aware it isn't for use without magnification. The monovid I mentioned is tiny and has nice glass and the ability for very close focus. It weighs almost nothing but if there's no way to attach it then it's a dead end. My preference was for something pvs14 based but options seem limited there also. I have a 3x magnifier and it's fine for what it is but it's not suitable for longer range pid or photography. I doubt the 5x is much better.
I've been running a high spec pvs 14 behind a Leupold mk4 spotter and am impressed with the capability. You definitely give up something to the pvs 30 clipped in front of the spotter, but the package with the 14 is much more compact, plus you have the ability to use it helmet mounted as well. Total weight of the system (spotter and night vision) is probably in the neighborhood of 3 lbs.

Not sure what distance you're working with, but I was able to look 800 yards across a lake with the 14/mk4 combo, and I can see .22 splash in sand at 300 yards.

I've been running a high spec pvs 14 behind a Leupold mk4 spotter and am impressed with the capability. You definitely give up something to the pvs 30 clipped in front of the spotter, but the package with the 14 is much more compact, plus you have the ability to use it helmet mounted as well. Total weight of the system (spotter and night vision) is probably in the neighborhood of 3 lbs.

Not sure what distance you're working with, but I was able to look 800 yards across a lake with the 14/mk4 combo, and I can see .22 splash in sand at 300 yards.

I also prefer a good uf wp pvs 14 behind a spotter with an illuminator slaved to it.

Have been able to see an ipsc at 1100 with no moon but illumination from a Luna with a 14 and a spotter. This is an ipsc at 600 no moon no illuminator 😁 14 behind a spotter on 22x iirm
20210703_224044.jpg

Last edited:
I also prefer a good uf wp pvs 14 behind a spotter with an illuminator slaved to it.

Have been able to see an ipsc at 1100 with no moon but illumination from a Luna with a 14 and a spotter. This is an ipsc at 600 no moon no illuminator 😁 14 behind a spotter on 22x iirm
View attachment 7679819

I'm assuming you guys are using the badger adapter? They list it as being for a Leopold but it looks like an adjustable friction lock kind of like my digiscope adapter. Would this work on my 553? I'm assuming most spotters are similar with the eye cup removed but I only have a sample of one.. Would be something low risk to try without buying a device.

Reactions: PlinkIt
I second the PVS14 behind the spotter using the badger adapter. I am running an L3 WP PVS14 behind a leupold mk4 and it is just as good as the PVS27 I was running in front of the spotter.

i dont know if it would fit, but when i get home i can measure the diameter of the eye piece on the mk4 so you compare.

Here is a link to the thread I made that has more info and pics.

Reactions: GreenMushroom
Forgot to post, I use the rrs limited vis kit.

I like that I can run the clip on up front or I can flip the spotter around and use a 14 with a pic adapter behind a spotter

Reactions: NHPiper
I second the PVS14 behind the spotter using the badger adapter. I am running an L3 WP PVS14 behind a leupold mk4 and it is just as good as the PVS27 I was running in front of the spotter.

i dont know if it would fit, but when i get home i can measure the diameter of the eye piece on the mk4 so you compare.

Here is a link to the thread I made that has more info and pics.

Thanks. I remember that thread. My Googlefo sucks on this subject for some reason. I found a thread where someone measured the different surfaces of a mk4 with but then never posted which surface the badger attached to.

Thanks. I remember that thread. My Googlefo sucks on this subject for some reason. I found a thread where someone measured the different surfaces of a mk4 with but then never posted which surface the badger attached to.
It is a friction fit over the tube. Let me see if i can get some pics with measurements up in the thread over the next day or so.

Reactions: GreenMushroom
Forgot to post, I use the rrs limited vis kit.

I like that I can run the clip on up front or I can flip the spotter around and use a 14 with a pic adapter behind a spotter

That looks slick. It don't think it would work for my kowa because it's an angled eye piece. It seems NV setups are centered around the mk4 type straight scopes so depending on how far down the rabbit hole I want to go I might need to pick one up. Having that adapter with a mk4, 14, and 30 certainly gives a lot of flexibility.

That looks slick. It don't think it would work for my kowa because it's an angled eye piece. It seems NV setups are centered around the mk4 type straight scopes so depending on how far down the rabbit hole I want to go I might need to pick one up. Having that adapter with a mk4, 14, and 30 certainly gives a lot of flexibility.
It would work if you ran a clip on but if you wanted the throw the 14 on the back then yea you would need a straight spotter