• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can the Stiller tac 30 be accurate

806guns

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2020
Texas
I have a new to me Stiller Tac 30 action. Believe its around the 2017 era. Action is smooth and way better feeling than my 700's.
I have quiet a few Remage barrels and wondering how accurate these barrels can be with my Tac 30 vs a stock 700 action. If there is a gain from just the action or is it all in the barrel. Didnt meant to start something here but just curious if others have went down this road before.

There is some gain using a custom action. The stiller is an older action but they work just fine. Go ahead and get a barrel done up for it as MOST of your accuracy is going to come from the barrel.

Reactions: 806guns
My first custom rifle was built on a well-used TAC-30 action (Bartlein barrel in 6.5CM Jewell trigger, MPA BA Comp chassis). Had a 2nd-gen Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 scope on it. It ran fine and was as accurate as any rifle I've owned.

I sold it to a young man I met at the range with his quite-new Bergara mounted with an inexpensive Nikon optic. He was having trouble getting anything better than 1.5-2" groups at 100 with factory Hornady 140gr ELD-M ammo. I invited him to try his ammo in my rifle. Fired three rounds into a 3/8" cloverleaf. He bought the whole rig and still has it as far as I know - he likes new toys.

I had one "functional" issue with it which taught a valuable lesson. Early on, I had trouble with what appeared to be failure to eject fired cases. I called Stiller (this was a few years ago). A human quickly answered the phone. I explained what I was seeing. He asked me to take a slow motion video of the ejection. Slo-mo showed the mouth of the empty case was hitting the bottom of the scope's windage turret and bouncing the case right back into the breech! Moving the scope forward or backward wasn't feasible (eye relief) so I put higher rings on it. Never had another problem.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS and 806guns
I bet there is some gain to be had...even if it is just in feel alone. However I bet you see a little bit of improvement downrange too.

I have not gone down your road, but I certainly have added things like Gey-Tan F/P assemblies with springs to my 700s...the factory F/P spring is all sorts of compressed crooked, and there's no way it doesn't drag inside the bolt body. Add that you're going to have more uniform bearing surface contact of the interfacing parts from the tighter tolerances in the Stiller, and it seems like a project worth investing the time in since you already have the parts.

Reactions: 806guns
Stiller‘s are hot garbage. Total shit. I will dispose it for you for free, only cost to you is shipping. Lol.

Almost any custom action is an improvement over a 700, whether perceived or actual. Stiller is definitely in that category.

• Haha
Reactions: davere
I had one "functional" issue with it which taught a valuable lesson. Early on, I had trouble with what appeared to be failure to eject fired cases. I called Stiller (this was a few years ago). A human quickly answered the phone. I explained what I was seeing. He asked me to take a slow motion video of the ejection. Slo-mo showed the mouth of the empty case was hitting the bottom of the scope's windage turret and bouncing the case right back into the breech! Moving the scope forward or backward wasn't feasible (eye relief) so I put higher rings on it. Never had another problem.

I think you can find other posts about this issue here, too - been a while since I looked. It's the silly cut they make in the ejection port, ostensibly to allow you to more easily unload loaded rounds. The problem is, it sets a trajectory for case ejection that tends to launch it upward. The fix is as you say, don't use too low a scope height, and you'll be fine. I found 1" or higher works pretty well for me. I have a TAC 30 AW - same issue, and that's the fix (unless you want to machine the ejection port, which someone here did a while back).

The TAC 30 AW was my first action - at some point, here, I'll rebarrel it and get it into a competition ready stock with a better competition scope (it's fine in the T4A it wears now, but it's not as optimal - and the Vortex AMG works well, but compared to the ZCO, TT, Gen3, etc, it's harder to use overall). I like the action a lot, actually - no issues with it, and after putting about 4000 rounds through the action, it's smooth as glass.

I would stock up on a couple extra bolt stops. Stiller is the only other action besides curtis that I have seen bolt stops break at matches, and it happened more than once.

Besides that they are good solid actions and a huge step up from a factory 700.