• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Can this barrel be threaded for a suppressor?

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Picture stolen from gunbroker.com, but I've got one just like it, carbon wrapped, can the first 1/2" or so (whatever is needed) be threaded for a SWR Spectre Suppressor?

pix331955468.jpg

Re: Can this barrel be threaded for a suppressor?

I don't see why not, it is a standard metal barrel wrapped in CF so you should be able to put it in a lathe and hit the metal. It may involve getting together with the maker of the suppressor and making sure the thread pith can be matched to the barrel, meaning you will probably have to cut the barrel deeper than the "standard" and get the can threaded to match.

why not email SWR and ask them?

i have always thought that one should think of the small amount of steel left at the end of the barrel was to act as an end-cap of sorts KEEPING the spun and bonded carbon fiber wrap intact and under constant pressure and purchase......

i'm just sayin..........

How would the wrap come undone if it has been properly bonded and adhered to the barrel?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have always thought that one should think of the small amount of steel left at the end of the barrel was to act as an end-cap of sorts KEEPING the spun and bonded carbon fiber wrap intact and under constant pressure and purchase......
i'm just sayin.......... </div></div>

oh and if you did thread the end you would have a cap to cover the threads which could be milled o have flats which could be gripped with a torque wrench putting the correct pressure back on the carbon fiber wrapping

That is a picture of a Magnum Research Tensioned barrel. To the best of my knowledge, they cannot.

But I did show you what could be done to a Volquartsen Carbon Fiber tensioned barrel....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a picture of a Magnum Research Tensioned barrel. To the best of my knowledge, they cannot.

But I did show you what could be done to a Volquartsen Carbon Fiber tensioned barrel....</div></div>

I know....and I'm still interested....did you ever give me a price?

Here's my experience with composite/metal hybrids: I'm a dynamic component engineer that specializes in composite metal hybrids and I work in Aerospace. I'm a hobbyist machinist and I paid my way through engineering school cutting chips in machine shops.

1)Jerry- You put the barrel in the lathe by taking it off of the receiver. Then you're left with a cylinder to chuck up.

2)BOLTRIPPER and USMC are both partly right. You can keep a composite fiber well intact on a cylinder without an endcap, however, if it was cured with an endcap on there, and you machine it off, there's an almost 100% chance you will delaminate the fibers with the cutting tool. Once it's delaminated the flexure action of the barrel under firing conditions will cause it to delaminate further. If the carbon wrap is used as the bearing surface for the base of the suppressor it will quickly delaminate from the contact stress that is directed along the long axis of the fibers in that area.

Also, if a barrel is partly wrapped and bonded at room temp or high temp, or what not, there's a big big issue with composites in that they grow at different rates than steel does. Composite telescope housings have massive issues with this and the fiber layup is incredibly important to making a "CTE neutral shape" in order to keep it from warping or delaminating from it's hybrid metallic components.

Barrels are the same way. If a composite fiber/resin system could be mated with an identical (or nearly so) CTE to steel then we'd see many more applications with a thin steel liner barrel that only has a few extra thousands of material at the gooves and then it would be wound with composite fabric and barrel stiffness to weight would greatly increase.

This can't be done now though because for a high pressure round (aka, not a rimfire 22) the differences in CTE coupled with the hoop stress from firing the barrel will delaminate the steel/composite interface and then the barrel is less than worthless, it becomes a bomb.

My suggestion to this would be to:

Figure out what thread you can get 2 Diam. worth of engagement on and still have a conic mating surface that leaves ~ 0.1" of full metal engagement on the metal before the composite fibers.

Ask the Suppressor manufacturer to make an endcap that mates up using this new thread and conic mating surface. If they can't do that, then ask them to make an adapter for the end cap so that you CAN do this.

The benefits to locking up in that fashion give you the thread engagement so it's not going to strip out the threads on the barrel or the suppressor, the conic mating surface gives the tapered, self centering bearing area that will allow the suppressor to run very tight baffels without worry of a baffle strike and also it will end up being more accurate if it's properly centered and the symmetry is preserved.

Last option, and this is only if you have a machine shop handy where you can do the work yourself.

Apply to the ATF with a 5300.1 form to build your own NFA device and for 200 bucks you build your own suppressor. Then you do what I suggested above and you spend the savings on several cases of 22's and some other upgrades to the 10/22
laugh.gif
(Note: this is what I did when I wanted to suppress on of my 10/22's)