• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can use some ideas for a memorial tat

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    This is a hard one. I just came back from burying my grandfather up north. Im still in shock hes gone; we talked a week before he passed and he seemed to be doing better and told me he was gonna fight to see the kids get born, but less then a week later he was called to join my grandmother.

Both him, and my grandmother, who passed a few years ago, had a very profound effect on my life, at times more so then my mom and dad. When my grandmother passed, I wanted to get some ink in memorial of her, and never got around to it. Now that he is gone, I want to get it done. I want it to be tasteful, as well as reflect on them being Italian-American immigrants. Definitely not in the face-tattoo camp.

You guys got any solid ideas? Im racking my brain here, because this is something thats gonna be with me permanently.

Thanks in advance fellas. Dont be afraid to tell me If this is a bad idea either. Im all ears here.

Better idea for a permanent body marking than the Tasmanian Devils people were getting at one point in time.

Sorry for your loss.

Being Italian religion possibly played an important role in their lives perhaps a cross with names on a scroll wrapping around the cross...

Hmmm I might be stereotyping....

Talk to your artist. They should have photos of previous work and you can take ideas from several and come up with something for you. Or just talk to him/her about what they meant to you and let the artist come up with something. You may want to add or take out things. Give it time though. It's going to be there for a long time.

Reactions: UKDslayer
    I don’t do tats little brother, and my condolences for you loss. But I have an idea that might help you, and will definitely help the kids.

Get a notebook and write down every memory and event you can remember about your grandparents. Add every memory you have of when you made a decision that was helped by something they said or taught to you. Finally, label all the pictures you have with everyones names, how they were related, when, and where the picture was taken.

It will make you focus on what they gave you, and it will be a treasure to your children. Plus it will allow family and friends to contribute.

God bless. Focus on the gain and not the loss.

It has to be something personal to you. Think about a time you two bonded over something. We can't tell you what that is.

When i was a little kid, we used to go hunting in the northern part of Mexico. Instead of going with my dad, I always rode shotgun with an uncle of mine (brother of my grandma) for no reason at all. We would always drive by a church in a small town in Mexico to get to where we were going. That church has a tower with a spherical light on top where a cross stands on. That sphere, when lit, just almost looks like a full moon. My uncle told me to look up and see where the moon was shining at. I as a little kid, quickly realized it was the church and told him. We always laughed about it after. When he passed, I got that church tower inked on me and had the artist include a full moon in the clouds right behind the tower. Because i like traditional style, I had him include a banner with his name on it.

This is a hard one. I just came back from burying my grandfather up north. Im still in shock hes gone; we talked a week before he passed and he seemed to be doing better and told me he was gonna fight to see the kids get born, but less then a week later he was called to join my grandmother.

Both him, and my grandmother, who passed a few years ago, had a very profound effect on my life, at times more so then my mom and dad. When my grandmother passed, I wanted to get some ink in memorial of her, and never got around to it. Now that he is gone, I want to get it done. I want it to be tasteful, as well as reflect on them being Italian-American immigrants. Definitely not in the face-tattoo camp.

You guys got any solid ideas? Im racking my brain here, because this is something thats gonna be with me permanently.

Thanks in advance fellas. Dont be afraid to tell me If this is a bad idea either. Im all ears here.

Don't think about a tattoo -- think about your Grandparents, who they were and what they stood for. What did they feel gave life meaning.

You'll figure it out. If you don't find it on your own, it'll never have the meaning you wish it to.

How about don't get a tattoo, instead do something like never cut your beard, or wear a necklace with both their pictures of it always, or wear a bracelet with their names engraved on it all the time, or a ring with their birthstones set in it?

• Love
    Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Your thinking to hard. The right idea will come to you when you are least expecting it. Try too hard and it will never be what you desire, or you will never be able to get the detail right from the artist.

Take your time. Find an artist that will listen to your story, give them creative license. Have it drawn out before making it permanent.

Ink, you can take it with you.

I grew up in my grandparents home till I was 18. Grandpa would not approve, but he wouldn't judge me either.

This song tells some of the reasons we get tattooed, For me it gets me in the feels.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Its not something that needs to be rushed or have other peoples solicited ideas. If you really want it, something will come to you when you're thinking about them someday. Other thing to think about is would THEY want you to blast a tat in their memory. My boy got one of his grandpa on his moms side. I know his gramps would not have been pleased with it. So in my opinion he did him a disservice, but that's just me I guess. Play on!

Very sorry for your loss. In the last 20 years, I have buried my father, my son, both grandmothers, my mother-in-law, both my wife's grandmothers, a step-grandmother, and an abundant host of friends.

Their memories live on. None would have wanted me to get a tattoo.

I will silently honor their memory, and not get a tattoo.

A pepperoni pizza? Names and dates would be low key.
    I'm going to confess this was my first thought too - but sooo tacky.

If getting a tattoo helps you deal with the grief and honor their memories, by all means you should do it.

I'm going to confess this was my first thought too - but sooo tacky.

If getting a tattoo helps you deal with the grief and honor their memories, by all means you should do it.
    The pizza? Tacky?

People live on through the lessons they taught and the memories you share about them. Like the earlier poster said, write down those memories and share them and the lessons taught with everyone and anyone.

Keep it simple

Name, Date of birth and date of death.

Doc

This is where you start examining his life, who he is and how he is, what's his character like, what's his demeanor like, how was he as a Young Man, what kind of friends did he have what was his influence like on others.

Once you determine those characteristics, start looking at possible Greek god type tattoos... Zeus- was he in the Navy maybe he love the sea/, Atlas- did he always seem to carry somebody else's burden, Apollo- maybe he was an Entertainer

I am not one of those deep artsy fartsy types. I have only desired to get a tattoo once, and to make a long story short, that desire was eliminated by circumstance.

But I do understand human drives and symbiology. Here is my suggestion, and the "why" of the symbols.
    You have three important members in your symbol, your Grandfather, your Grandmother, and don't leave out... Yourself.
    They touched you, nurtured you, influenced your very heart. They are strong symbols to you, and all that remains is the strength of those memories.

The image: Two intertwined leafless Oak trees, ancient and enduring, Nestled between the weathered trunks is a heart, which was sheltered by, and touched by these trees. If you don't like a heart, consider instead an Acorn, which is a promise of something greater and enduring in the future.

Think of something that memorializes their life and not their death. While their death is probably the strongest memory right now. It will fade and you should remember all the good more with time. i was going to get a tattoo when my grandpa died. I never did and I am glad now I didn't. What i do have is his old irrigating shovel. It is the most worn out shovel I have ever seen. I helped him irrigate with it when I was little. I am sure in total he spent years moving dirt with it.

Thanks for all the replies gents. I’m gonna hold off on the tat for a bit until I know absolutely what I want. He never liked tattoos, and would probably cuss me for getting it, as well as for spending the money on it.

Thanks for all the replies gents. I’m gonna hold off on the tat for a bit until I know absolutely what I want. He never liked tattoos, and would probably cuss me for getting it, as well as for spending the money on it.

Since it's a memorial about them, do you happen to know if they had any specific religious objections to tattoos and the like?
    Some folks have rather strong religious objections to tattoos and body modifications outside of a very limited set of circumstances.

A pepperoni pizza? Names and dates would be low key.
    Not if they were from Italy. Pepperoni is a uniquely American way of making a mess out an otherwise wonderful Italian food. Don't get me started on "deep dish pizza" (casseroles) and other messes we view as "Italian".

How about crossed Italian and US flags to show their, and your, heritage? Italian regions as well as some cities and families have some pretty cool seal or coats of arms that might work.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Since it's a memorial about them, do you happen to know if they had any specific religious objections to tattoos and the like?
    Some folks have rather strong religious objections to tattoos and body modifications outside of a very limited set of circumstances.
    Just them being old-school Italian. When I was in my rebellious years and got my ears pierced, he tried to cut them out lol. The few tats I have (service related) he semi-understood. But my sister and her sleeves? That was a fun conversation/ramble to hear.

Not if they were from Italy. Pepperoni is a uniquely American way of making a mess out an otherwise wonderful Italian food. Don't get me started on "deep dish pizza" (casseroles) and other messes we view as "Italian".

How about crossed Italian and US flags to show their, and your, heritage? Italian regions as well as some cities and families have some pretty cool seal or coats of arms that might work.
    I’ve thought about the crossed flags, and coat of arms. I’m gonna reach out to family from his hometown in Alvigneolo and see if they can send me the families coat of arms.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
    I don't have tats, not into them, but I see your point and appreciate the thinking involved. The neighborhood I grew up in was called "Little Napoli" iin Newark NJ, in another space-time continuum.

I would start a design with a very basic Christian cross, superimposed by crossed American and Italian Flags, with an inscription, "Bless our Land and our Line".

Simplicity is a virtue.

Greg