• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can you guys school me on Badger rings?

Jimmy2Times

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2005
Amesbury, Massachusetts
Up until this point I have always used Leupold MKIV rings.This made sense to me as all my scopes were MKIVs. Now that I'm shying away from the Leupold glass, I thought I'd try some Badger rings. I think the Leupold rings are great rings, but the Badgers are about the same price so I figured I'd give them a shot. I'm looking at the maximized steel rings. I'll be mounting an ST-10 on an SPS tactical .308 SA with an EGW 20 MOA base. I was trying to decide between the medium or standard height rings but don't know which will work, if at all. Obviously, I'd like my glass as close to the bore as possible.

Thanks, as always, for any shared insight.

Re: Can you guys school me on Badger rings?

This is the clearance you get with the mediums (on a LA Badger base):

scopeclearance.jpg

If your ST-10 has the larger occular housing, you may need the medium highs, unless you position the scope further back than I do. If that's the case, the mediums will probably be fine.

That's a 44 with low profile ERGO.

While it's not in the pic, there's still some room for a Butler Creek flip up. It's about the same clearance as between the occular and base, so the little tabs on the cap will hit the barrel if the objective is rotated with the cap down. The barrel is a #17 heavy varmint contour.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the clearance you get with the mediums (on a LA Badger base):

scopeclearance.jpg

If your ST-10 has the larger occular housing, you may need the medium highs, unless you position the scope further back than I do. If that's the case, the mediums will probably be fine. </div></div>

you have the exact same set up i do. i have thought about going to high rings because i am not sure about my eye relief. sometimes i think i am to crunched up on the gun and other times i think it is perfect. i have no room to go back anymore due to the objective coming into contact with my rail. what do you think about your set up?

As to the exact scope placement in the picture, that was done because of some functioning issues on that particular rifle. If I place the scope any further forward, the ejecting cases will hit the base of the rear ring and fall back into the receiver. If I place it any further backwards, the case will hit the windage knob and, again, fall back into the receiver.

From the pictures of rifles I've seen, I guess I just like my scopes a little more forward than most people. For me, the scope placement is nearly perfect, although I think I'd prefer it to be about another 1/4" further forward. Even so, it works well from every position, so I can live with it where it's at.