• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can you modify a short action stock for a long action

Odindad

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2014
Kissimmee, Florida
I have seen some good deals on McMillan stocks for FN / Winchester 70 short actions. How hard would it be to reinlet them for a long action? It looks like LRI can fill and inlet any stock for anything. I have access to a milling machine and have done quite a few devcon bedding jobs.. so I have some basic skills and equipment. Curious if anyone else had done this

I am not familiar with the Winchester actions. But if you have access to a mill, changing the inlet shouldn't be overly difficult. I've built a couple composite stocks from scratch and inlet them with routers in my basement, or preferably with a friend's mill. If it's in the way, make it not in the way. If you take too much out it can always be filled back in and attempted again, unless you were to take a very large section out of the shell for some reason there isn't much you couldn't do/ redo if necessary.

I looked at doing it on a Savage. It can be done but seems like there are major pitfalls. The way the stock is laid up matters, especially if there is no good support for the front action screw.

I would think it either impossible or so time consuming that it would in no way be worth it. Might be easier to shorten the action. I have seen that done many times.

Just an aside. I have seen many actions cut in half. 1/2" or more removed and re welded. Back when everyone wanted a short Mauser or Winchester Mod 70 for a short action cartridge but no one made the actions.

Do it all the time...

It does take infrastructure, but it's certainly possible. Short of setting a composite stock on fire and smoking the ashes afterwards, its darn near impossible to ruin one. -You just make more work for yourself...

I've gutted cores to where I have a shell and refilled. I've had them come in broken in half. It's all repair/restoreable.