• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Can you range these "targets"?

Brazense

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2008
Sweden
OK, let's see if you can range these targets correctly. I have ranged them with a LRF so there is a correct answer.

Scope is a NF 5,5-22@22.
Reticle is an MLR.
Pics shot through the scope but a rainy day so sorry for the bad quality. No window in betwen targets and scope though.

To the tree

To the tree

To the birch on the far right

To where the drainage pipe meets the roof

To the corner

To the windows

1000 bonus points awarded to the winner.
wink.gif

Re: Can you range these "targets"?

Sorry sir, but this is a pointless question. Without the known dimensions of the target, you cannot use any reticle to range.

If you would post the window size, a good guess on those targets could be made, but the tree targets are hopeless.

Though I did take a stab at the last picture with the bricks, assuming 62mm per brick thickness, an estimated window width of 2 ft and computed 268 yds.

Bob

Agree with Bob, tree targets are hopeless. The following are based on guesses of dimensions of some items:

#4: 200 y (183 m)
#5: 155 y (142 m)
#6: 265 y (242 m)

I know it's hard but let's have your educated guesses then and never mind the tree's if they're to hard.

StinkyDrunk is not to far off actually....but off none the less. ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a better idea. Take the battery out of your LRF and you range them. Pointless exercise.</div></div>

If participating in a competition or in a "real situation" for that matter, will you always be told or know the size of for instance the windows in which the target will appear? Or will you just have to make do with what you have and do the best you can?

In competition you are given the target size if the range is unknown.

In a "real life" situations, I would use a LRF on an unknown range target. If I don't have a target reference of known size that I can measure, I won't shoot.

In any event, even if I knew the size, I would not be shooting at trees or drainpipes.

Bob

How about this one then RJ (and you others), care to guess the distance?

Aditional info: Scope was not mounted to a rifle when pic was taken...just so you know.

370? Assumed 2x4 was .3 mil.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the whole thread would find it home on "the range" here: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1458176#Post1458176

all 15 pages of it.</div></div>

Sorry...perhaps a Moderator can move these posts there? To keep this thread short I'll just go ahead and post the result, it's 434 meters/474 yards to the person on the last pic.

The brick wall someone took a guess on is 322 meters away and the rooftop with the railing is at 197 meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vettern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about this one then RJ (and you others), care to guess the distance?

Aditional info: Scope was not mounted to a rifle when pic was taken...just so you know. </div></div>

Looks to be about 4 mils. I would guess he is about 6ft. Sooooooo.....

(72 X 27.77) / 4 = 499.86 yards.

This is assuming that these are seen at 22X magnification...

Guy in the swimming trunks is 523yards or 480 meters away. I assumed 60 cms as the average man's torso and his takes up 1.25MILs to get that estimated range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vettern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">474 yards! </div></div>

Sorry for not making the answer clear enough, 474 yards was the distance to the small house.

Impossible to tell. The reticle on the NF only ranges at one power unless it is the FFP model which I do not believe is available on that optic.

It was not specified that this was at the correct power for ranging.

I came up with 471 yards to the guy in the bathing suit. I estimated 4.25 mils and him to be 6 feet tall or 2 yards.

2 x 1,000 = 2,000 divided by 4.25 = 470.59 or very close to 471 yards.

I was lucky to get that close as I'm not comfortable with the mil system.... yet.

Vettern, your "correct answers" are assuming a 0% error with your LRF, which I question.

The only correct answer would be using a "chain"/metallic tape, pull real tight, and apply temperature correction.

The range estimations using the bricks, 2x4 (looked like a 2x6 to me, or was it a 2x5) door height, etc. are excellent stabs, but that is assuming standard "US" dimensions.

BTW Vettern, what is the standard tree limb length in Sweeden?
smile.gif

My leica isn't working. I guess the computer screen is too close.