• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Can you re-chamber a 6.5cm into a 6.5-284 Norma?

LJT88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 16, 2019
    I got a 6.5cm tikka CTR barrel I’m looking to do something with.

Could someone run a 6.5-284 reamer into this barrel and make it work or am I missing something?

Also, as far as weight goes, anyone have an estimate on what fluting a 24in CTR barrel would save you?

Can you? Yes. Personally, I don't think the cost to do it would be worth it vs just finding a barrel nut prefit or similar chambered in 6.5-284 from the start (Criterion, Bugholes, PVA, etc).

Not sure on how much fluting would save you. I think LRI has a function on their website that will give you an estimate.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Do you have any idea what it would cost?

The cheapest pre fit I can find will run around $500. A PVA barrel nut pre fit and I’ll be around $600. It sure seems like someone could re-chamber a barrel for a lot less than that but I guess I’m not sure.

I'd guess it would probably costs a couple of hundred. When I ordered a barrel it was $430 for the barrel and $375 for getting it set up for my action.

Reactions: LJT88
    Do you have any idea what it would cost?

The cheapest pre fit I can find will run around $500. A PVA barrel nut pre fit and I’ll be around $600. It sure seems like someone could re-chamber a barrel for a lot less than that but I guess I’m not sure.

Your barrel will need to come off the rifle so that it can be chucked and indexed in a lathe to do the job right. You are going to pay for ALL the labor to remove the barrel from the rifle, ALL of the labor to setup the lathe, ALL the labor to do the actual machining, ALL the labor to unload the barrel out of the lathe, and ALL of the labor to screw the barrel back on the rifle (including head spacing it).

For a job of one.

Get a prefit.