• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can you remove molly from bullets?

KQguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2008
Ohio
I finally found some 162gr Amax bullets at a Gander MTN store not too far from me.The only problem is,they are molly coated,and I only shoot non coated bullets.Does anyone know if the molly can be removed somehow?I was thinking of soaking them in some sort of solvent,I would like to know before I run down and pick them up.Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Can you remove molly from bullets?

All I could say is call George.
We had a talk about moly coatings one night.
It's put on with a tumbler, so should be able to take it off too.
(What is the weight of the A-maxes?)
I have some Isso brass cleaner too.

Denatured alcohol. It's available at Home Depot or similar. Just put the bullets in a small container and then pour DA on it and cover it. The stuff comes right off if it's not wax-covered and Hornady does not use wax.

I don't know if I would use sand. Sand is silica which is an abrassive. It's common use is in grit blasting (sandblasting) and Sand paper. I would think very fine particles of the silica would embed in the soft copper and I just dont see how you could get it out. Walnut and Corn Cobb does it well and leaves the bullets nicely polished to. I well maybe wrong and it's your barrel. Donald

Well I just back back from Gander mountain with 400 moly coated bullets.So far I tried laquer thinner and paint gun cleaner,and it won't cut it!Hornady must have a pretty good way of putting on their molly.Tomorrow I will try the tumbler.I let some soak in paint gun stripper tonight,and I will check them in the morning.If nothing works,I guess I will be shooting molly for a while.

Glen,
The Amax's are 162gr,BTW,who is George?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I could say is call George.
We had a talk about moly coatings one night.
It's put on with a tumbler, so should be able to take it off too.
(What is the weight of the A-maxes?)
I have some Isso brass cleaner too. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only shoot non coated bullets.</div></div>

I'd Load a Few Moly Coated rounds too.

You might find a better shooting load.

Just a thought

Thanks for your help, but we are a couple of Ohio boyz.
Just trying to find answer to our question.
Come up and shoot with us.
.308 w/ 30 moa base might be min.
Ultrasonic is not answer.
Media will be saved.
Polishing 6 quarts of range brass took it's toll.

This worked for me on 190VLD Moly Bergers about 5 years back.

Bore cleaner (one with picture of bear on it, ??Butch's maybe?)
& bullets in glass jar, cap, swish around leave overnight, may polish them if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4Rail_Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only shoot non coated bullets.</div></div>

Just a thought </div></div>+1 on that.
Load up twenty and see what happens.

I will if I can't get it off,I just don't feel like tinkering with my load again,I had it where I wanted it.I thnk if I start shooting molly's,that will change my load,at least from what I have read about it.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4Rail_Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only shoot non coated bullets.</div></div>

Just a thought </div></div>+1 on that.
Load up twenty and see what happens. </div></div>

UPDATE-After trying several different solvents(laquer thinner,acetone,paint gun stripper,denatured alcohol),I finally found something that works,ammonia.The ammonia takes it right off after a few minutes of soaking,Butch's bore shine also worked,but ammonia is much cheaper.I am planning on throwing them in the tumbler after I get most of it off with the ammonia.I will be glad once the 162gr Amax's(non molly) become available again,this is a real pain in the ass!

Ammonia eats copper...make sure it isn't hurting the bullets!

oh for fucks sakes..............................

just throw the bullets in the tumbler......quit making life so F U C K I N G difficult.......

all this is brain dammage

I tried that,whatever Hornady uses to put on moly is super tough,much tougher than what the do it yourselfer would do using a cheap tumbler.I put some straight in the tumbler,and it took forever!Wiping most of it off before going into the tumbler saved alot of time in the tumbler.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh for fucks sakes..............................

just throw the bullets in the tumbler......quit making life so F U C K I N G difficult.......

all this is brain dammage </div></div>

I just did some Bergers. Soaked them for 15-20 min in ammonia and then tumbled in old corn cob for a couple hours. Got em good and gold.

Bump just incase anyone else needs.

Ryan