• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can you see or hear an RPG coming at you?

TXAZ

NOC NOC
Minuteman
  • Oct 3, 2020
    McMurdo Sound
    Just saw a movie with RPG’s flying everywhere.
    For those of you who have been there can you hear or see it coming?

More likely to hear it, not to see it. That said it's not a given that you will hear it either. Can depend on a few things but mostly range between the firer and your position. I have heard them go overhead when they have not impacted nearby and that is a clear sound, pretty distinctive that its an RPG, but when they have been close hits I never really noticed the incoming sound.
    I've never been on the receiving end of 40mm but can confirm that you see those outbound.

RPGs came in a lot of flavors. You might see it possibly depending on the model - flght velocities can be as low as 115 m/s. Some much higher.

Hollywood does take liberties though. Lots of them.

Reactions: S12A and TXAZ
    No.

Generally someone screaming out RPG!!!!1111!! is usually from someone seeing some dumbshit get in a window or on top of a structure, standing there with a loaded RPG, taking entirely too long aiming it and then firing.

It's not from seeing the actual warhead flying through the air.

Mine was at night outside COP Carlisle. I saw the initial launch and felt the concussion of it hitting the road behind me. Sounded like a fast whoosh....then boom.

Doc

Like others have said you may or may not hear it in flight depending on where you are relative to the flight path. Def hear it launch usually and impact obviously lol....

Def hear those damn Iranian/Russian 107mm rockets coming in tho... freaking screaming she banshees...

DSC00337.JPG

Sooner than later guided versions will be seen in action ,ole spawn of Panzerfaust is going to be around forever.

Looks like a missile for RPG
    image.png

Reactions: TXAZ